Help w Rifle Inaccuracy

Needing some help with improving my rifle accuracy…and I know off the bat this could be tough as hell to diagnose over a forum.

I have a 7mmRM Tikka T3x Superlite with the original stock. I’m using Talley rings and a vortex viper hslr 4-16x50mm scope. In the past I’ve had trouble getting 1moa groups so I kinda shelved the rifle and have focused on archery for several years now.

I’ve decided to dive back into this gun and get it up to par. In the past two months I’ve:

1. Bedded the stock with Devcon
2. Replaced the recoil lug with an atlasworx titanium lug
3. Added atlasworx titanium pillars to the factory stock
4. Replaced the action screws with mountain tactical high strength screws and torqued them to 40in-lbs
5. Lapped the scope rings
6. Changed ammo from hornady superformance to hornady Precision hunter
7. Added a muzzle brake
8. Changed the recoil pad to a limb saver

First off, the recoil reduction has been amazing. No issues there and I’m super happy with the feel.

However my first 10rnds I was barely getting a 1moa group at 100yds and had 3 flyers in the group that were like 3”-4” off. Is this likely just shitty form? Could the rifle be that messed up that it just throws flyers like that? Do I need to fork out the money for a better scope/stock?

IM LOST PLEASE HELP

dc53f9c514a61ef54f7d2eeebbff6372.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
29ae84c3826325f695c691118786e462.jpg

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
A better scope has been high in my list, looking at a Swaro X5i 3-18 that’s in the optics classifieds rn.

I always thought Talley rings were pretty good is that not the case?

Also yes it’s free floated. Ran a dollar bill all the way up and it’s clear to the barrel taper where it meets the action

Have you read the scope testing sub forum in the long range area? Tons of scope info on scopes there.

Talley tend to not be round and can Crack. The best tikka mounts take advantage of the integral rail, or use a picatinny rail permanently bonded to the receiver.

mt100gr.

WKR
How many rounds have you put thru this rifle and how much magnum experience, in general?

When I started really getting to know my tikka in 7RM, it took a lot, think between 150-200 rounds before the two of us really got along.

Lightweight rifles hit back and are very sensitive to your form.

I'd start by doing A LOT of very concentrated dry firing.

OP
thegoosano
Wow thanks for all the responses good stuff.

[mention]ResearchinStuff [/mention] I haven’t checked that forum out but I will thanks! Idk if you saw but I did lap my Talley rings so they’re round. But you’re right, it took some work to get them smoothed out. But I’ll look into the pic rail that’s a good idea.

[mention]mt100gr. [/mention] that’s a great point and something I forgot to mention. I’ve put about 80 rnds through it and was wondering how many till it’s “broken in”. With the new muzzle brake it really doesn’t kick so I’m not too concerned about that being the issue being a magnum. I’ve shot rifles about my whole life and while I’m no professional shooter, I feel like I can do better than what it’s shooting right now just based on pure form. But I do agree I need to just start sending some rounds down range (well focused rounds).

[mention]TxLite [/mention] I have some 162gr superformance and 154gr superformance left, other than that I wanted to try some Bergers?

[mention]Wrench [/mention] was looking at the Swaro X5i 3.5-18x50mm, seems to have good reviews?

KenLee

WKR
Try some 140 and 150 gr normal speed ammo.
Many rifles hate Superformance hot rounds and many rifles hate heavy ELD-X.

davsco

WKR
have you shot other rifles relatively accurately? have you had other good shooters shoot your rifle?

when you dry fire, is the center of the reticle staying on the center of the target? is the rifle absolutely rock solid when you're pulling the trigger, no wobble at all?

did you get the ~$8 tikka upgraded trigger spring, if not, do that, really lightens the trigger pull which helps in improving accuracy.

gbflyer

WKR
Bad barrel. No experience with their customer service, sometimes manufacturers will still warranty even with the stock mods. By the way, it’s been my experience that bedding will improve a 1moa gun somewhat but it won’t make a 3moa into gun a 1moa gun regardless of what the Internet says.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
I would try letting someone else shoot it. This probably isn't it, but it is the easiest first step.

Then I would try some different rings, Hawkins if you want direct mounts.

If that didn't do it, I would try a different scope. Do you have access to a known good scope?

Alternatively, you could mount that scope on a rifle that is known to shoot good. If it happened to be a Tikka, you could test the mounts and rings by swapping them out one at a time.

You have done so much it’s hard to know where to start. Lapping Talley can make them have not enough contact fast. I would get a new set of rings first, degrease all screws and retourque before buying new scope.

Super performance ammo is pretty hit or miss. I would grab something like a box of 139 or 154 Hornady whitetail. Your barrel twist will like those much better.

mt100gr.

WKR

[mention]ResearchinStuff [/mention] I haven’t checked that forum out but I will thanks! Idk if you saw but I did lap my Talley rings so they’re round. But you’re right, it took some work to get them smoothed out. But I’ll look into the pic rail that’s a good idea.

[mention]mt100gr. [/mention] that’s a great point and something I forgot to mention. I’ve put about 80 rnds through it and was wondering how many till it’s “broken in”. With the new muzzle brake it really doesn’t kick so I’m not too concerned about that being the issue being a magnum. I’ve shot rifles about my whole life and while I’m no professional shooter, I feel like I can do better than what it’s shooting right now just based on pure form. But I do agree I need to just start sending some rounds down range (well focused rounds).

[mention]TxLite [/mention] I have some 162gr superformance and 154gr superformance left, other than that I wanted to try some Bergers?

[mention]Wrench [/mention] was looking at the Swaro X5i 3.5-18x50mm, seems to have good reviews?

My tikka in 7RM really shined when I started loading Bergers. It was early in our relationship when I tried the hornady stuff, but I remember not be very impressed. The 168gr classic hunter and the 168gr HuntingVLD both did very well. The HSM loaded ammo was good, but handloads were better with H1000 or retumbo.

And FWIW, the handful of Tikkas that I own have been "broken in" within the first few rounds....typically just a little change in velocity once into the 100s of shots on a barrel.

Rob5589

WKR
You've done a bunch to the gun, most of which isn't going to turn a subpar shooter into a great shooter. I'd try some other ammo and if doesn't shoot, spin on a new tube.

Like others have said, I'd first test with a known scope and rings. A rail and solid built rings are your friend. I had several vortex Scopes do exactly what you're talking about with the 3-4 inch fliers. In fact it was just last week. I took his scope and rings off and put a fixed power swfa on to verify and needless to say he doesn't own a vortex anymore.

Fatcamp

WKR

Tikka has an integral rail built into the receiver, use that with a pair of Sportsmatch rings and this scope: https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-111420.html

That will give you a rock solid optic so long as you mount it properly, all for less than $300. Then you will be able to assess the rifle.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425