Help me spend my money on a rifle for Hog hunting

bmicek

WKR
Going hog hunting and using it as an excuse for a new rifle. Currently have a thermal and suppressors so a good host for that would be ideal.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
AR in 6.8spc. A lot of hog hunters use this round. Punches above its weight, great for deer too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bbell

WKR
I was thinking more along the lines of a .308 rebored to .358 Winchester. It would be a hog hammer! Silencer probably wouldn’t fit .35 cal though

SwiftShot

WKR
Going hog hunting and using it as an excuse for a new rifle. Currently have a thermal and suppressors so a good host for that would be ideal.
AR pistol in 300 Blackout shooting 220 grain subsonics. Add your can and thermal. As long as you stone them they will not break and run until one squeals. Head or neck shots until the squeals then it is smoke pole them bastards. Did it a few times usually can pick off 3 standing still before one makes a sound.

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
AR-15 with some good 5.56 Barnes TSX....that's all you honestly need.

Sure, an AR-10 is nice but not after you are carrying it all day.

AkRyan

WKR
Any semi auto rifle with proper bullet will work. A "hog gun" is a marketing term to make you think you need to buy a gun for a hog hunt.

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
Any semi auto rifle with proper bullet will work. A "hog gun" is a marketing term to make you think you need to buy a gun for a hog hunt.
This 100%. I know we all love a reason to build/purchase another gun lol. But in all honesty you can take hogs with a lever action, AR-15, AR-10, bolt action rifle, etc etc etc. Don't over think it.

If you share the same love/hate relationship with the AR platform as I do, a short barreled 6.5 Grendel should do well. At least it has for me for hogs and deer out to 200yrds. Not sure what factory offerings are out right now. In order to get what you want it may involve rolling your own, if you’re into that sort of thing. I’ve got a 12” BA barrel on mine and strangely enough it has been the most accurate AR of any caliber I’ve owned.

Attachments

• 7FAA2687-5AEA-415D-A7F0-588B50748C8C.jpeg
    7FAA2687-5AEA-415D-A7F0-588B50748C8C.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 27

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve used my bow, an ar12, my ar in 450bm and a dd5 in 308. The 12gauge was honestly the most fun, especially out of a chopper. Just depends how you are setting up, what that all entails and what tickles your fancy for a round/rifle.

I've got a bunch over the years with a bow, some with an AR and a few with a lever action. By far bow is most fun. So much fun emptying a quiver on a pack of pigs with the quietness of a bow. Typically if they don't see you a bow does not spook them.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
LWRC Razor II in 6.8 SPC is is a great gun for hogs. I have used one for over 7 years now. The piston system is really reliable when using a suppressor and easier to clean.