Help me pick two Tikkas

nrh6.7

WKR
I currently have only ever hunted with my dad's 30-06 here in Texas. We both shoot left handed and I never felt the need to buy my own rifle. Since he no longer shoots, I keep his rifle here to do with as I please. I've decided that I need to buy my own and want to build a 3 gun hunting-only system around the 06.

I think I need to stay with Tikka for their value and selection in LH guns. Plus, I can later add a new barrel or stock and not need to build a new rifle from scratch. So I am thinking that the 06 will pull back up duty on all of my hunts, and I'd like to have a small and big gun depending on what I am hunting. Initial thoughts are 300wm and either 243 or 270/270wsm. Here's where I need your help. I want some overlap, but not so much that a single gun would work...if that makes sense.

On the big gun, can the Tikka 300WM handle all factory bullet weights regarding magazine size and twist rate up to say 600 yards? Also, should I consider the 300wsm instead or is it too close to the 06? I know the short mag should handle the heavier weights, due to the long action but the wm will handle the heavies better.

For the smaller gun, I'd like it to handle whitetail and smaller game out to around 300 yards.

I don't currently have ANY plans to reload, but that may change later, so will need great light to heavy factory ammo options. Really looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts! If I am off the mark on my thoughts, please make suggestions.

If they made the darn thing in 6mm Remington that is what I would suggest for coyotes, gophers, deer, antelope, and critters around those sizes. Since they don't, the 243 is a good one. Or the 25-06 would be a sweet smaller cartridge. Had one of those too.

I don't feel the 300 WM is enough of a jump up in scale from the 30-06 to warrant getting it. Not sure how large a critter you are hunting but the 35 Whelen or 338 WM would be a big thumper for you.

Best of luck with your decisions.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for the feedback so far. Anyone comment about the 300's ability to handle all loads?

Far as i can tell, too slow of a twist for at least 212g and up. Which is fine since ive settled on 200g accubonds

mt100gr.

WKR
Tikkas in .308 caliber have a 1:11 twist barrel. It won't be ideal for the heaviest bullets but up to 200-210grains you'll probably be alright depending on elevation. In the 180-190 grain dept you'll be good.

As far as accuracy - they shoot well but there will likely be a bullet the rifle favors.

Roy68

WKR
25-06 and the 30-06 you use today. If you have to have that 3rd then a 243 or better yet (imo) the 22-250

I don’t have a 300wm in a tikka but my understanding is the tikka magbox length limits the 300 especially when it comes to bullets bigger than 180’s

MTSabo

WKR
Id opt for a 7mm-08 and a 338. IMO there would be way less overlap but still enough the 06 would be backup for both.

slick

WKR
If I was in your position I would do the 243 and 300WM.

I currently have the 300WM and plan on getting a 6.5CM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I would say get a 257 roberts, but i dont know if they make them. I also wouldnt want anything bigger then the 06 for anything in NA ....
So with that in mind I would go
223 and 7mm08 to round out your 06

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Maybe I should clarify my original post. I really don't want to hunt with the 06, but only have it for a back up rifle. It is in new condition and I'd rather not haul it into the back country if possible, so it will only get used hunting if my big or small caliber gets damaged somehow. But considering the 30 06 is a great all around caliber, my thought was that it could be back up to either gun.

You will have a TOUGH time, finding, LEFT Handed, Tikka's in SOME, Cal's ! ( 6.5 Creed. ??,.. LOL !)
I'd choose the .243 win. for Varmints/ small Deer/ Antelope, etc. a PLEASANT Caliber, to shoot a LOT ! And the .270 WSM (or 7mm Rem Mag) for, EVERYTHING, else !There are many good Factory loads for the .270 WSM in 130, 140 and 150 grain loads, even 160 Partitions are available, Factory loaded. The 140 AccuBond, is amazingly,.. accurate, tough and FLAT shooting ! Unless, you are hunting, Alaskan Brown Bears at dangerously CLOSE Range, the .270 WSM / 7Rem Mag, WILL get the "Job",.. DONE ! Tikka's have, a very smooth Bolt and a LOWER "lift" than, most other Rifles and an adjustable Trigger that, rivals, a Timney for crispness ! There are many posts about, which Bullets to choose for the .243 online and only, a few DON'T, "work" in the 1-10 twist Bbl.! Good Luck,.. hope this, helps !

A .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag. Cal sounds "great", BUT they are NO fun, to shoot, very much, in a 7-7.5 pound Rifle, UNLESS, you put a "Brake" on the end and God help you, IF you EVER forget, to put your Ear plugs, "in" ! The .270 WSM and 7 Rem Mag will kill farther than, MOST Riflemen can shoot, "accurately" at Game, in real World, "Wild Country" with,.. the Wind blowing !

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Left handed Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor is available for pre order on Whittaker's. Should be available shortly.