Help Me Build My Lightweight 6.5PRC

Howdy y’all, I currently have a Tikka T3x stainless in 308. I’m doing a bolt swap with another Rokslider from his 300WM. Looks like I just have to buy new mags and a bolt stop and I’ll be set on a magnum.

I’m planning on converting the rifle into a short and lightweight 6.5 PRC build that will compliment my longer/heavier 7PRC I’ve already built on an XLR chassis.

I’m debating between a MDT HNT 26, Stocky VG, Manners EH1 or others recommended here for the stock. Or is it possible to keep the factory stock and file it down to fit the Proof barrel channel?

Proof Sendero 18” or 20” depending on what is recommended here.

Trigger recs? Stay with factory or upgrade?

NF NXS 2.5-10 for scope I think.

Direct mount scope rings suggestion?

I’ll be running a TBAC Ultra 7 as well.

My 7PRC is at 9.5lbs fully loaded with supressor. Hoping to drop at least a pound if possible on this new build.

Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks y’all!

OP
Fever Buck
I would see how you like it with the factory stock and trigger before buying more stuff.
Yeah that would def be the plan. I have no complaints with it now. Just been told that it’s tough to make the proof barrel fit the existing T3x stock. So not sure if others have had success there or not.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm doing something similar. I'm eating the weight and going with a NX8 2.5-20. Spuhr 30mm rings.

I was able to fit a 20” Carbon Six sendero contour in a factory stock with no issues. I had my gunsmith open up the barrel channel when he installed the barrel, then I opened it up some more with a dremel and sandpaper.

OP
Fever Buck
I was able to fit a 20” Carbon Six sendero contour in a factory stock with no issues. I had my gunsmith open up the barrel channel when he installed the barrel, then I opened it up some more with a dremel and sandpaper

I was able to fit a 20” Carbon Six sendero contour in a factory stock with no issues. I had my gunsmith open up the barrel channel when he installed the barrel, then I opened it up some more with a dremel and sandpaper.
Do you think you could’ve done all of the modifications at home or was a gunsmith needed?

I totally could’ve done it all at home. Since the gunsmith had the gun and a mill it was easier to have him get it close. It’s all very doable though.

Article 4

WKR
Howdy y’all, I currently have a Tikka T3x stainless in 308. I’m doing a bolt swap with another Rokslider from his 300WM. Looks like I just have to buy new mags and a bolt stop and I’ll be set on a magnum.

I’m planning on converting the rifle into a short and lightweight 6.5 PRC build that will compliment my longer/heavier 7PRC I’ve already built on an XLR chassis.

I’m debating between a MDT HNT 26, Stocky VG, Manners EH1 or others recommended here for the stock. Or is it possible to keep the factory stock and file it down to fit the Proof barrel channel?

Proof Sendero 18” or 20” depending on what is recommended here.

Trigger recs? Stay with factory or upgrade?

NF NXS 2.5-10 for scope I think.

Direct mount scope rings suggestion?

I’ll be running a TBAC Ultra 7 as well.

My 7PRC is at 9.5lbs fully loaded with supressor. Hoping to drop at least a pound if possible on this new build.

Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks y’all!
You might want to consider a scope with additional magnification. 10x is good however something with 15 or 20x would likely give you better performance at longer ranges. Recommendations in Bold

Leupold VX6 2-12x42 Strengths: right in the zoom range sweet spot, only 17 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment

- Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 Strengths: 16 oz., reasonable price for Swarovski glass Compromises: No parallax adjustment

- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 Strengths: Zoom range sweet spot, 15 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 Strengths: zoom range, 18 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 Strengths: Parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 Strengths: zoom range, 16 oz. Compromises: $$$, no parallax adjustment.

- Leica Magnus i 1.8-12x50 Strengths: perfect zoom range, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz., $3K

- Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50 i Strengths: parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz.,

- Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 Strengths: price, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 19 oz.,

OP
Fever Buck
I totally could’ve done it all at home. Since the gunsmith had the gun and a mill it was easier to have him get it close. It’s all very doable though.
Thanks. I’ll see if I can find some videos on how to DiY it.

OP
Fever Buck
You might want to consider a scope with additional magnification. 10x is good however something with 15 or 20x would likely give you better performance at longer ranges. Recommendations in Bold

Leupold VX6 2-12x42 Strengths: right in the zoom range sweet spot, only 17 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment

- Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 Strengths: 16 oz., reasonable price for Swarovski glass Compromises: No parallax adjustment

- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 Strengths: Zoom range sweet spot, 15 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 Strengths: zoom range, 18 oz. Compromises: No parallax adjustment.

- Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 Strengths: zoom range, 16 oz. Compromises: $$$, no parallax adjustment.

- Leica Magnus i 1.8-12x50 Strengths: perfect zoom range, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz., $3K

- Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50 i Strengths: parallax adjustment. Compromises: 25 oz.,

- Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 Strengths: price, parallax adjustment. Compromises: 19 oz.,
Thanks for sending all of that. My only issue is I don’t think any of those are known for good durability and repeated dialing. My use case will be backcountry elk and mule deer and taking the rifle into areas I don’t want to drag my heavier 7PRC. The NXS 2.5-10 is the only scope that’s well recommended in the low 20oz range that I’ve found.

Unckebob

WKR
When they become available in 1" rings, I'll get some UM rings. I love my lightweight Leuphold 2.5-10 scope.

jimh406

WKR
I don't know if you've seen it yet, but it sounds like you are building something very similar to the Bergara Premier MgMicro Lite.

OP
Fever Buck
I don't know if you've seen it yet, but it sounds like you are building something very similar to the Bergara Premier MgMicro Lite.

That’s awesome. Hadn’t seen those yet. Interesting that they went with the XLR Atom over the full length. That’s definitely something I could look at. Good idea. And that’s cool that they went with a factory 18” for 6.5 PRC.

NSI

WKR

Quite literally every single one of the scopes on that list is a demonstrated zero-loss failure waiting to happen.

OP, please read this forum before buying a Leupold, Swaro, Leica, or Vortex. Remember that features are irrelevant if your optic will not maintain zero whilst riding on the forest road to your hunting spot.

A trij 3-18x44, Maven rs 1.2, NF, or S&B Klassik are the current consensus recommendations.

Best,
-J

Article 4

WKR
Quite literally every single one of the scopes on that list is a demonstrated zero-loss failure waiting to happen.

OP, please read this forum before buying a Leupold, Swaro, Leica, or Vortex. Remember that features are irrelevant if your optic will not maintain zero whilst riding on the forest road to your hunting spot.

A trij 3-18x44, Maven rs 1.2, NF, or S&B Klassik are the current consensus recommendations.

Best,
-J
Lightweight scopes was the ask.

Same with trijicon and maven, although I do kinda like the maven at 26 oz. I have also seen issues with NF first hand in ATACRs and others.
S and B isn’t even in the game - lightweight is not part of their DNA with most LR scopes at the 38 oz range.

Last edited:

NSI

WKR
Lightweight scopes was the ask.

Same with trijicon and maven, although I do kinda like the maven at 26 oz. I have also seen issues with NF first hand in ATACRs and others.
S and B isn’t even in the game - lightweight is not part of their DNA with most LR scopes at the 38 oz range.
1) All scopes break. Manner and frequency is all we can control.
2) Consistent zero losers are irrelevant regardless of their weight and glass quality.
3) The S&B Klassik 3-12x42 is 20 oz.
4) The Trij Tenmile 3-18x44 is 24 oz. or the 3-9 credo is 17oz.

-J

Article 4

WKR
1) All scopes break. Manner and frequency is all we can control.
2) Consistent zero losers are irrelevant regardless of their weight and glass quality.
3) The S&B Klassik 3-12x42 is 20 oz.
4) The Trij Tenmile 3-18x44 is 24 oz. or the 3-9 credo is 17oz.

-J
Agree with point 1.

Agree with point 2 which is why I shy away from lightweight scopes period and generally don’t recommend them to people. You get what you pay for and everything has a sacrifice when shaving weight.

Point 3 the Klassik is a 55 yr old school technology. Yes they upgraded them but no advanced turrets and basic operations.

Hate to dislike an American company but all my personal experience with Trij has been negative. Consistent issues.

My point was to provide options to the question on a lightweight build. Wanna build one. Cool. Gonna give up something somewhere.

wnelson14

WKR
Check out the Peak 44 stocks. I’m doing very similar to you with a Weatherby 300wm into a 6.5prc. I believe they inlet for tikka now

OP
Fever Buck
Check out the Peak 44 stocks. I’m doing very similar to you with a Weatherby 300wm into a 6.5prc. I believe they inlet for tikka now
Thanks for the additional recommendation. What’s making you look at them compared to the other brands?