Help me build a sheep rifle!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
@B_Reynolds_AK how do you like that Maven? I know you’ve been a NF user in the past. I’m sort of curious what the RS2 would be like on my lightweight Kimber.
Love it, though the NXS 2.5-10x32 Mil-Dot is still my favorite lightweight scope. Reticle is much easier to see than Mil-R.

I hope Maven updates one of their lighter scopes to RS 1.2 durability with the SHR -Mil reticle.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Have you ever compared it to a TBAC Ultra? I've got several Ultras, a Banish Backcountry on the way, and have been looking for a Scythe-Ti to compare.
IMHO the Scythe suppresses noticeably better than the Ultra 7, on par with the Ultra 9 or DD sTI, but with better recoil reduction and barrel length / cartridge tolerance. Just shot next to and with all of these at s2hu.

-J

gtriple

WKR
IMHO the Scythe suppresses noticeably better than the Ultra 7, on par with the Ultra 9 or DD sTI, but with better recoil reduction and barrel length / cartridge tolerance. Just shot next to and with all of these at s2hu.

-J
That's what I was thinking because of the brake on the end. It may make the sound signature a little higher, but probably reduces the recoil significantly.

gtriple

WKR

-J
That's what I was thinking because of the brake on the end. It may make the sound signature a little higher, but probably reduces the recoil significantly.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Honestly it's still quieter than an ultra 7 with the brake. But you can always run the flat cap.

-J

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Have not compared suppressors much, but absolutely love the Scythe. The only other centerfire suppressor I own is a AB Raptor 8 .375. It’s very good as well, but since AB won’t sell a 6.5 end cap, it’s a little bit louder, but still very good. I use it mostly on my little 9mm MP5k and also on this gun when in 338 Fed configuration.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Honestly it's still quieter than an ultra 7 with the brake. But you can always run the flat cap.

-J
I can’t tell a difference in sound between my ultra 7 and my scythe. I don’t have any decibel measuring equipment though.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
The sheep rifle in its current configuration got to eat on Kodiak island on opening morning.

The 18” PVA .750 taperless contour bbl
Is sending Barnes 112 Match Burner’s at 2,970 fps now after 275 rounds.
42.8g of H4350, Fed 210 LRP’s and 1x fired Alpha OCD brass. It’s hot. I’ll back off a bit as it sped up some in the last 50 rounds.

Shot was taken from a high ridge, downwards at 414 yards. 3k ft elevation.
Impact was around 2400 fps. Entered in the vitals, though towards the back, and exited out the guts, leaving a softball + size hole.

IMG_4114.jpeg
IMG_4154.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
It also just joined me on its first real AK sheep hunt. Whereas the Lower 48 Bighorn was mostly in the alpine, this included many miles of bushwhacking before even getting to the alpine.

The fluted bolt and more open chassis design allowed leaves, dirt and even little bits of shale into the chamber and trigger.
Multiple times I had to clear this out.
Also when dirty from field conditions, the bolt is not as fast or as smooth as I would like.

On my return home I decided that I’m going to put together a Tikka build to take its place. As much as I love this action, I can now see the benefits of the Finnish company.

However.. I will no longer be using the 6 CM. It’s just not for me. Not when there is more performance to be gained.

22 CM
LETS GOOOO!

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I sure hope the 22 creed has the required foot pounds of energy. (Kidding)

If we didn't have a 6mm minimum rule for elk, I too would use a 22 creed for everything.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It also just joined me on its first real AK sheep hunt. Whereas the Lower 48 Bighorn was mostly in the alpine, this included many miles of bushwhacking before even getting to the alpine.

The fluted bolt and more open chassis design allowed leaves, dirt and even little bits of shale into the chamber and trigger.
Multiple times I had to clear this out.
Also when dirty from field conditions, the bolt is not as fast or as smooth as I would like.

On my return home I decided that I’m going to put together a Tikka build to take its place. As much as I love this action, I can now see the benefits of the Finnish company.

However.. I will no longer be using the 6 CM. It’s just not for me. Not when there is more performance to be gained.

22 CM
LETS GOOOO!

View attachment 751489

View attachment 751490

Seems like you could have a nice little cordura case for when it is folded up to keep all the debris out when being packed…wouldn’t even need a zipper on it. Open bottom, roll it a couple times and tie a drawstring off.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Seems like you could have a nice little cordura case for when it is folded up to keep all the debris out when being packed…wouldn’t even need a zipper on it. Open bottom, roll it a couple times and tie a drawstring off.
You could. However there’s no denying the difference in bolt operation smoothness between a Tikka and an AnTi.

You could. However there’s no denying the difference in bolt operation smoothness between a Tikka and an AnTi.
That’s a bummer you’re not happy with the current build. Was planning on building a 6CM with most of your components. I do think the Tikkas are a bit smoother but also a tad heavier and surprisingly, mine developed surface rust super easy when I lived down in Georgia. Maybe it would be wise to cerakote it. I have a 7PRC on the XLR chassis that I’m happy with but thought it would be nice to have a super light and short 6CM build. Maybe I should just use my old tikka action instead.

I’m also hunting Colorado and WY so it’s not as hard on actions down here compared to Alaska.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That’s a bummer you’re not happy with the current build. Was planning on building a 6CM with most of your components. I do think the Tikkas are a bit smoother but also a tad heavier and surprisingly, mine developed surface rust super easy when I lived down in Georgia. Maybe it would be wise to cerakote it. I have a 7PRC on the XLR chassis that I’m happy with but thought it would be nice to have a super light and short 6CM build. Maybe I should just use my old tikka action instead.

I’m also hunting Colorado and WY so it’s not as hard on actions down here compared to Alaska.
I’m definitely happy with it. I was just out shooting it this morning in the mountains.
My order with UM has the action Nitrided and the action pockets milled out. I’m leaving the bolt unfluted though, to maximize smoothness and keep it sealed up better.

I’ll be selling this setup after the hunting season and when I have the Tikka build in hand sometime in the winter. For all those that have followed this thread, I’ll update it here to give you guys all a crack at it first if interested. Will be a great deal when it comes time to pass it on.