Help me build a sheep rifle!

z987k

WKR
Alright guys,
My wife has given the go ahead to build a new rifle!
I’ve been using a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM, quite effectively, but want something new.

Here is what I’m thinking so far. Feel free to critique or post your experiences with any of the parts.

Action: Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti

Chassis: MDT HNT26, folding stock, Arca

Trigger: Triggertech Primary

Barrels: Preferred Barrel or Carbon 6 Pre-fit. 18” 6.5 CM 7.5 twist and 16” 338 Fed.

Scope: Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 Mil

Suppressor: Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti (already in jail)

Ammunition: G9 Defense 113 Long Range Hunters for the 6.5 and Federal Trophy Copper 200 for the 338 Fed.
(I have several years supply of both right now)

The goal is a lightweight, compact, rifle that will double duty for both sheep and also larger critters or when hunting on Kodiak. I’m set on those calibers. I plan on swapping barrels 1 or 2x a year.

I’ve looked at the WTO Switchlug System, but the shouldered pre-fit route looks simpler and more reliable. I don’t need to change barrels in the field, I can do that at home in my shop. I’d rather not have to remove my scope to change barrels but will do so if necessary. If anyone has a suggestion for rings that will make that easier, let me know. I see that some guys on Snipershide change out barrels using a rubber strap wrench that puts about 30 ft./lbs of torque on and call it good. Critique away.
I think you'll end up heavier by a good bit than your Fieldcraft. Like over a pound heavier. Maybe 2.

The Apollo light is a porker of a titanium action. Certain stainless actions are lighter. The fieldcraft's is.
Preferred doesn't have a in house steel contour that is light at all. Unless you have them do something custom. Carbon barrels are heavier than sporter steel and way heavier than featherweight contours in steel. (My Douglas featherweight is 19oz lighter than my proof.)
If you really want a chassis, then that's the one to get, but after all the little bits on it, it's a lot heavier than one of the purposely light carbon stocks.

I understand the sickness. But to me, it looks like you're going backwards in a sheep rifle from what you have.

ChrisAU

WKR
I think you'll end up heavier by a good bit than your Fieldcraft. Like over a pound heavier. Maybe 2.

The Apollo light is a porker of a titanium action. Certain stainless actions are lighter. The fieldcraft's is.
Preferred doesn't have a in house steel contour that is light at all. Unless you have them do something custom. Carbon barrels are heavier than sporter steel and way heavier than featherweight contours in steel. (My Douglas featherweight is 19oz lighter than my proof.)
If you really want a chassis, then that's the one to get, but after all the little bits on it, it's a lot heavier than one of the purposely light carbon stocks.

I understand the sickness. But to me, it looks like you're going backwards in a sheep rifle from what you have.

The Apollo Lite is a stainless action with a titanium recoil lug.

With what you’re wanting to do, I’d recommend spending the money on a Blaser.
I know these things are setup for a super easy barrel change. What is the weight though?? I was thinking they are around 8lbs bare?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK

I get your points.

From what I understand, it’s a very lightweight action that is comparable to an Anti-X. If someone made a chassis that fit the Fieldcraft action, I’d be all over that.

I’d imagine that I could build this rifle for around 1 lb more than the Fieldcraft.
6.5 lbs seems doable for the bare rifle.

Also, I’m now leaning towards going Proof Sendero Light for the barrels, for quality and weight reduction.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
The Apollo Lite is a stainless action with a titanium recoil lug.
Regardless. It's 26oz. That's a heavy action if you're going for a lightweight built.

I get your points.

From what I understand, it’s a very lightweight action that is comparable to an Anti-X. If someone made a chassis that fit the Fieldcraft action, I’d be all over that.

I’d imagine that I could build this rifle for around 1 lb more than the Fieldcraft.

Also, I’m now leaning towards going Proof Sendero Light for the barrels, for quality and weight reduction.
It's 6oz heavier than the anti. 10oz heavier than the pierce. These things really add up in a lightweight build.

That proof is about 9oz heavier than your fieldcraft barrel.

I just kinda went through this for my sheep/goat rifle build so I've got a spreadsheet of dollars and weights. It's amazing how quickly the ounces add up to pounds when you're like oh well I want this stock and this barrel, but they're not really light. At least not compared to what's available.
Everything is a compromise and only you can decide for you what is worth the weight addition to add functionality and what isn't.
I can't personally see how a carbon barrel helps on a sheep rifle we're you're unlikely to fire more than a shot or two in a row. And for the price of that action, I can't see why you wouldn't go with the lighter ones available and highly regarded for more or less the same price. But maybe it has features that I don't see as valuable and you do.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Regardless. It's 26oz. That's a heavy action if you're going for a lightweight built.

It's 6oz heavier than the anti. 10oz heavier than the pierce. These things really add up in a lightweight build.

That proof is about 9oz heavier than your fieldcraft barrel.

I just kinda went through this for my sheep/goat rifle build so I've got a spreadsheet of dollars and weights. It's amazing how quickly the ounces add up to pounds when you're like oh well I want this stock and this barrel, but they're not really light. At least not compared to what's available.
Everything is a compromise and only you can decide for you what is worth the weight addition to add functionality and what isn't.
I can't personally see how a carbon barrel helps on a sheep rifle we're you're unlikely to fire more than a shot or two in a row. And for the price of that action, I can't see why you wouldn't go with the lighter ones available and highly regarded for more or less the same price. But maybe it has features that I don't see as valuable and you do.
Good points of reference. Thank you.
But Carbon is sexy.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
This is probably an unpopular opinion because suppressors are cool, but if you're considering ways to shave a couple oz here and there, the easiest way would just be to shoot the rifle with a TI pro brake instead of the suppressor and carry some earplugs in your pocket. That being said, I think I'm still gonna carry the weight of the suppressor because it would be a shame to not use if after all this jailtime.

edited for spelling

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
This is probably an unpopular opinion because suppressors are cool, but if you're considering ways to shave a couple oz here and there, the easiest way would just be to shoot the rifle with a TI pro brake instead of the suppressor and carry some earplugs in your pocket. That being said, I think I'm still gonna carry the weight of the suppressor because it would be a shame to not use if after all this jailtime.

edited for spelling
I already have the two lightest sheep rifles possible, that maintain capability out to 5 and 700 yards respectively. This thread is for building the highest quality, most capable rifle possible, in the 7-7.5 lb range. The 6 oz Rugged 360 Ti suppressor isn’t necessary, however a brake is absolutely something that I will never use on a hunting rifle. I want all of my senses while executing a shot or setting up a shooting position. I don’t need the extra step of putting in ear plugs and have often found myself in a situation where that is just not possible.

I get your points.

I put together basically the same thing you’re looking at except with a Impact 737R and TBAC Ultra 7CB. With TT trigger, HNT26 ARCA folder, NXS 2.5-10x42 in NF UL rings, and Proof Sendero 20” 223 it weighs right at 9lbs with a loaded 5rd Accurate mag.

If you used a 6oz direct mount can and a 26oz action you should be at 8lbs or so.

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I put together basically the same thing you’re looking at except with a Impact 737R and TBAC Ultra 7CB. With TT trigger, HNT26 ARCA folder, NXS 2.5-10x42 in NF UL rings, and Proof Sendero 20” 223 it weighs right at 9lbs with a loaded 5rd Accurate mag.

If you used a 6oz direct mount can and a 26oz action you should be at 8lbs or so.
That sounds like a great build.
Now that I’ve looked into the Pierce Skele-Ti, at something like 18 oz, there’s another half pound weight loss. Leaning towards Proof Sendero Light as well, as these barrels will be so short, I’m not as concerned about the added stiffness of a heavier bbl.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I already have the two lightest sheep rifles possible, that maintain capability out to 5 and 700 yards respectively. This thread is for building the highest quality, most capable rifle possible, in the 7-7.5 lb range. The 6 oz Rugged 360 Ti suppressor isn’t necessary, however a brake is absolutely something that I will never use on a hunting rifle. I want all of my senses while executing a shot or setting up a shooting position. I don’t need the extra step of putting in ear plugs and have often found myself in a situation where that is just not possible.
Gotcha. Also didn't realize the 360 Ti was that light... makes my Radiant seem heavy.

Grizz2150

FNG

Forget that mumbo jumbo. Get a tikka T3 X light 300 Win Mag. Aluminum scope mounts. If you can't pack that up a mountain take up Golf.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
why does no one seem interested in the greyboe trekker for these builds?

After spending a fair amount of time with 2 of them, I've become a big fan of the Trekker stock. For my face/build, I need the scope to be mounted at a rail with .82 ring height or higher...any lower is too low. I also prefer a light steel barrel as I found carbon/sendero contour could be made to touch with a Trekker but accuracy was still very good while shooting so I don't think it was touching during normal recoil or in use. If light weight is the end goal, steel is a better route on the barrel and is my preference after going the carbon route originally.

I like them well enough that I have a 3rd on order right now. For a high comb, vertical grip, lightweight stock that doesn't need an adjustable comb, I think they're great.

I did have the butt end sling swivel strip on one and pull out. I've had the same thing happen with another stock, a factory stocked Fieldcraft. I contacted Grayboe and asked if I could fix it myself with epoxy and how this might effect the warranty. They replied quickly that I was welcome to "epoxy the hell out of it" and that I had a lifetime warranty on the stock....if the epoxy didn't work, they'd replace it with a new stock. I haven't epoxied it in yet so I can't speak on results but did the same on the previously mentioned Fieldcraft and it's still in use.

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
Big WTO Switchlug fan here. Clayton has built a short action and a long action for me over the last 2 years. On the 6.5CM I would look hard at his 7SAW, he built me one and paired with a 162eldm/Alpha brass it is deadly. I would argue there not much better in the SA non magnum realm when you get the BC of the ELDM and down range energy over the 6-6.5’s. Taken everything from Axis to Nilgai with it.

Unckebob

WKR
After spending a fair amount of time with 2 of them, I've become a big fan of the Trekker stock. For my face/build, I need the scope to be mounted at a rail with .82 ring height or higher...any lower is too low. I also prefer a light steel barrel as I found carbon/sendero contour could be made to touch with a Trekker but accuracy was still very good while shooting so I don't think it was touching during normal recoil or in use. If light weight is the end goal, steel is a better route on the barrel and is my preference after going the carbon route originally.

I like them well enough that I have a 3rd on order right now. For a high comb, vertical grip, lightweight stock that doesn't need an adjustable comb, I think they're great.

I did have the butt end sling swivel strip on one and pull out. I've had the same thing happen with another stock, a factory stocked Fieldcraft. I contacted Grayboe and asked if I could fix it myself with epoxy and how this might affect just the warranty. They replied quickly that I was welcome to "epoxy the hell out of it" and that I had a lifetime warranty on the stock....if the epoxy didn't work, they'd replace it with a new stock. I haven't epoxied it in yet so I can't speak on results but did the same on the previously mentioned Fieldcraft and it's still in use.

I have a Terrain and an Eagle Pro on order. I am definitely a fan of their stocks.

I was afraid to buy the Trekker because I usually need a high comb and was concerned I couldn't easily add an adjustment piece or cheek piece pad. How does it do with bigger scopes?

HerdAK

FNG
There is a CarbonSix thread on here where quite a few guys have had to send multiple barrels back for various reasons. Seems like they've started having QC issues recently. I ordered one back in Jan...up to that point they seemed good to go. I'm hoping mine is ok...TBD. If I were ordering a new barrel today, I'd probably look elsewhere to avoid the anxiety of having problems. I'd probably look at PVA or have someone like Southern Precision cut a Bartlein or Proof blank.
have you still not received your barrel? im waiting on a 6.5PRC barrel form them and at the time they said 4 months. Ordered mine in feb.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I have a Terrain and an Eagle Pro on order. I am definitely a fan of their stocks.

I was afraid to buy the Trekker because I usually need a high comb and was concerned I couldn't easily add an adjustment piece or cheek piece pad. How does it do with bigger scopes?

The largest I've used them with are 50mm objectives, but even those fit with a rail and .82" 30mm rings so I can't speak on any higher. I did remove DNZ 2 piece 30mm Lows from a 700 and replace them with Hawkins Hybrid lows to raise the scope....it was to low with the DNZ.

The drop at comb on the Trekker is -.41"

On the Terrain it looks like it's the same -.41"

On the Eagle it looks like it's 0" to +.99"

No doubt, the Eagle is going to get you higher if needed. The Terrain should be the same as the Trekker if anyone can speak to it.

The drop at comb of the Trekker should be pretty close to a Manners EH2, EH3, EH6, EH8, etc if you've used one of them. The Trekker actually seems a bit higher (to me) because of the width of the top of the comb over something slimmer like the EH8.