Help me build a sheep rifle!

***Updated as I gather more info on various components ***

Alright guys,
My wife has given the go ahead to build a new rifle!
I’ve been using a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM, quite effectively, but want something new.

Here is what I’m thinking so far. Feel free to critique or post your experiences with any of the parts.
This will very much be a collaboration of Rokslide members as they offer their wealth of experience.

Action: Defiance AnTi X, SA-Standard Bolt *Confirmed

Chassis: MDT HNT26, folding stock, Arca *Confirmed

Trigger: Geissele Super 700. *Confirmed

Barrels: Benchmark Carbon Sendero Light 18” 6.5 CM 7.5 twist. *Confirmed
Also sourced a Proof Prefit 22” 6.5 CM 1-8 that will be going on until the Benchmark arrives. *Confirmed

16” 338 Fed. Barrel: Preferred Barrel Blanks Defiance Prefit *Confirmed

Viper Barrel Vice & Defiance Action Wrench to swap barrels/calibers. *Confirmed

Scope: Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 Mil (6.5)
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 Mil (338) *Confirmed

Rings: Nightforce UL 30mm Low Rings.

***Cancelled due to manufacturing flaw*** Unknown Munitions Hinged Rings, 30mm - Low

Suppressor: AB Raptor 8

Original choice of Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti changed due to inadequate suppression.

Ammunition:
G9 Defense 113 Long Range Hunters for the 6.5.
Barnes 127 LRX

Federal Trophy Copper 200 for the 338 Fed.

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
Could use a nightforce ultralight unimount. You’ll be re-zeroing anyway going between the two calibers so removing for barrel swap in the unimount will make it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I know it’s heavier but I have the Terminus Zeus quick change just so I don’t have to take my rifle apart when switching barrels.

Why 7.5 twist for 6.5CM? Is that 113 a long bullet?

An option for rings and level may be Wyatt.

Good luck hunting…quietly.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
There is a CarbonSix thread on here where quite a few guys have had to send multiple barrels back for various reasons. Seems like they've started having QC issues recently. I ordered one back in Jan...up to that point they seemed good to go. I'm hoping mine is ok...TBD. If I were ordering a new barrel today, I'd probably look elsewhere to avoid the anxiety of having problems. I'd probably look at PVA or have someone like Southern Precision cut a Bartlein or Proof blank.

TxLite

WKR
There is a CarbonSix thread on here where quite a few guys have had to send multiple barrels back for various reasons. Seems like they've started having QC issues recently. I ordered one back in Jan...up to that point they seemed good to go. I'm hoping mine is ok...TBD. If I were ordering a new barrel today, I'd probably look elsewhere to avoid the anxiety of having problems. I'd probably look at PVA or have someone like Southern Precision cut a Bartlein or Proof blank.
Was going to say the same thing

My C6 barrel turned out great and is a great shooter. Had two buddies who were not as fortunate. 1 had botched headspacing and the other couldn’t even get his to thread on. It does seem like they have been very willing to fix any issues that have come up though

Alright guys,

Here is what I’m thinking so far. Feel free to critique or post your experiences with any of the parts.

Action: Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti

Chassis: MDT HNT26, folding stock, Arca

Trigger: Triggertech Primary

Barrels: Preferred Barrel or Carbon 6 Pre-fit. 18” 6.5 CM 7.5 twist and 16” 338 Fed.

Scope: Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 Mil

Suppressor: Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti (already in jail)

Ammunition: G9 Defense 113 Long Range Hunters for the 6.5 and Federal Trophy Copper 200 for the 338 Fed.
(I have several years supply of both right now)

The goal is a lightweight, compact, rifle that will double duty for both sheep and also larger critters or when hunting on Kodiak. I’m set on those calibers. I plan on swapping barrels 1 or 2x a year.

I’ve looked at the WTO Switchlug System, but the shouldered pre-fit route looks simpler and more reliable. I don’t need to change barrels in the field, I can do that at home in my shop. I’d rather not have to remove my scope to change barrels but will do so if necessary. If anyone has a suggestion for rings that will make that easier, let me know. I see that some guys on Snipershide change out barrels using a rubber strap wrench that puts about 30 ft./lbs of torque on and call it good. Critique away.

I don't see many flies in the ointment. I'm not convinced you'll like it much more than your FC though when it comes to a total package. Folding stock will be nice.

I like the typically lighter cocking on 2 lug actions but that's personal preference. Also like the idea of integral recoil lug on pierce shadow, kelbly nanook, and bat vesper vs the terminus especially with a switch barrel. The pierce shadow would probably be lightest if that's a benefit to you.

Seen enough reports of triggertech failures that I'd consider a geissele super 700 trigger. Thats mostly internet talk but have had some 700 trigger issues in the past with timneys getting gummy.

PBB and Carbon 6 seem to be more prone to sending out barrels with issues than others but they also cost a lot less and have lots of happy customers. PVA doesn't seem to have much for options for what I assume your weight goals are.

have you shot that g9 ammo much? How does it work for you? I'm intrigued by it.

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I know it’s heavier but I have the Terminus Zeus quick change just so I don’t have to take my rifle apart when switching barrels.

Why 7.5 twist for 6.5CM? Is that 113 a long bullet?

An option for rings and level may be Wyatt.

Good luck hunting…quietly.
I’ve looked at that action and it appears that it’s quite a bit heavier, which is why I was looking at the Apollo for this build.

The G9 113’s are very long for a 6.5 CM.
IMG_6948.jpeg

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I don't see many flies in the ointment. I'm not convinced you'll like it much more than your FC though when it comes to a total package. Folding stock will be nice.

I like the typically lighter cocking on 2 lug actions but that's personal preference. Also like the idea of integral recoil lug on pierce shadow, kelbly nanook, and bat vesper vs the terminus especially with a switch barrel. The pierce shadow would probably be lightest if that's a benefit to you.

Seen enough reports of triggertech failures that I'd consider a geissele super 700 trigger. Thats mostly internet talk but have had some 700 trigger issues in the past with timneys getting gummy.

PBB and Carbon 6 seem to be more prone to sending out barrels with issues than others but they also cost a lot less and have lots of happy customers. PVA doesn't seem to have much for options for what I assume your weight goals are.

have you shot that g9 ammo much? How does it work for you? I'm intrigued by it.
I’ll have a look at those actions as well. I have a Triggertech on my Kimber and really like it, but reliability is paramount, so I’ll do some research on that.

I’ve shot the G9 ammo enough that I know it’s extremely accurate and has the features that I’m looking for in a hunting round. I haven’t killed anything yet with them, but from the experiences that some of the guys in Idaho have had using them on elk and bear sound really good.

Mojave

WKR
Huber or Geissle, they are more bomb proof. They are military grade triggers.

CG Extremes are not as bomb proof but feel amazing.

Trigger Techs feel ok, but get nasty quick.

Jewells feel better but are worse when they are gummed up.

Bix N Andy feel the best, but are also liable to get gummed up.

Shilen and Timney also make triggers. They neither feel great or are they tough.

Unckebob

WKR
Your a building a very expensive rifle that has everything you want except a switch barrel. Why not go all in?

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
You a building a very expensive rifle that has everything you want except a switch barrel. Why not go all in?
Well the shouldered pre fit’s would make it a switch barrel with just an action wrench and vise. With only 2-3 change overs a season, that seems like a good way to go. Somebody convince me I’m wrong and should go with a WTO switch barrel system.

Well the shouldered pre fit’s would make it a switch barrel with just an action wrench and vise. With only 2-3 change overs a season, that seems like a good way to go. Somebody convince me I’m wrong and should go with a WTO switch barrel system.
I would not do a switch barrel with a separate recoil lug like the Apollo Lite. My gunsmith who torqued my barrel on when I picked up the action didn't like the idea of a prefit with the separate recoil lug. Its just more things that can go wrong and swapping barrels a bunch is just a headspace issue waiting to happen.

LightFoot

WKR
Alright guys,

Action: Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti

Chassis: MDT HNT26, folding stock, Arca

Trigger: Triggertech Primary

Barrels: Preferred Barrel or Carbon 6 Pre-fit. 18” 6.5 CM 7.5 twist and 16” 338 Fed.

Scope: Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 Mil

Suppressor: Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti (already in jail)

Ammunition: G9 Defense 113 Long Range Hunters for the 6.5 and Federal Trophy Copper 200 for the 338 Fed.
(I have several years supply of both right now)

The goal is a lightweight, compact, rifle that will double duty for both sheep and also larger critters or when hunting on Kodiak. I’m set on those calibers. I plan on swapping barrels 1 or 2x a year.

I’ve looked at the WTO Switchlug System, but the shouldered pre-fit route looks simpler and more reliable. I don’t need to change barrels in the field, I can do that at home in my shop. I’d rather not have to remove my scope to change barrels but will do so if necessary. If anyone has a suggestion for rings that will make that easier, let me know. I see that some guys on Snipershide change out barrels using a rubber strap wrench that puts about 30 ft./lbs of torque on and call it good. Critique away.

Your setup looks good. I think a 6.5 & 338 combo is going to be great.

My only suggestion would be to keep the same barrel length for a consistent feel between the two.

I’m interested in the 113gr 6.5 bullets you’re using. I’ve never seen or heard of them. Guess I got some googling to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unckebob

WKR

BTW - one thing to consider if you are looking to shave every ounce and go with a steel barrel, a barrel nut setup may be lighter than a shouldered Prefit.

When I ordered my last barrel, I wanted to keep weight down. The company I worked with explained that the shouldered prefits for my Origin action had a large shank and that I could shave some weight by going with a barrel nut barrel. I do not know if that applies to other actions.

6.5x284

WKR
Awesome! That’ll stack up some critters!

I’d look at the Pierce Shadow steel action (save you most of your suppressor weight) and second the carbon six barrel concerns. Bartlein carbon are awesome but heavier than advertised (at least early on). Haven’t tried one since. Really can’t go wrong. Enjoy that bad boy!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Awesome! That’ll stack up some critters!

I’d look at the Pierce Shadow steel action (save you most of your suppressor weight) and second the carbon six barrel concerns. Bartlein carbon are awesome but heavier than advertised (at least early on). Haven’t tried one since. Really can’t go wrong. Enjoy that bad boy!

It won’t be done till after this season… the Fieldcraft has a couple sheep to kill first 😜

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Huber or Geissle, they are more bomb proof. They are military grade triggers.

CG Extremes are not as bomb proof but feel amazing.

Trigger Techs feel ok, but get nasty quick.

Jewells feel better but are worse when they are gummed up.

Bix N Andy feel the best, but are also liable to get gummed up.

Shilen and Timney also make triggers. They neither feel great or are they tough.
Great summary. Will be strongly considering this for my selection.