Help....Kodiak Canvas Cabin tent....... How To Heat It?

Jblack86

FNG
I recently got an amazing deal on a Kodiak Canvas cabin tent with screened in porch. I have been researching buddy heaters, stoves, stove jacks, stove jack locations, etc... I have heard buddy heaters have issues at high altitude, cause condensation and carbon monoxide is always a small fear. Wood stoves have their own set of negatives but I think that is the way I want to go. Any help is appreciated but help from people with Kodiak/Springbar type tents is extra welcomed.

I have two wall tents and two wood stoves, nothing better. We’ve used propane heaters when fire danger during deer season precluded using the wood stove. Condensation occurs but wasn’t much of an issue because we didn’t use the heater very much.

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
I have two wall tents and two wood stoves, nothing better. We’ve used propane heaters when fire danger during deer season precluded using the wood stove. Condensation occurs but wasn’t much of an issue because we didn’t use the heater very much.

Thanks,
What stoves do you have? and what size are your tents?....If you don't mind me asking

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been heating mine just fine w a little buddy for the past 10 years. Works great. No condensation issues. As for altitude, I’ve only been as high as 6,800’ and no issues. There are guys that have installed stove jacks and stoves quite successfully.
There have been previous threads on this also: Kodiak canvas w/ buddy heater review.

I don’t know how to copy or share previous posts

I glued in a stove jack on the right inside corner on my Kodiak . We use a titanium wood stove or a vented propane stove depending on the trip and need. I am not comfortable with a non-vented propane stove personally. Thousands are used in ice houses and tents but even if the risk is low, I don't believe combustion byproducts are healthy. I sleep better with a vented stove and fresh oxygen circulation.

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
I glued in a stove jack on the right inside corner on my Kodiak . We use a titanium wood stove or a vented propane stove depending on the trip and need. I am not comfortable with a non-vented propane stove personally. Thousands are used in ice houses and tents but even if the risk is low, I don't believe combustion byproducts are healthy. I sleep better with a vented stove and fresh oxygen circulation.
Thanks,
Do you have the cabin tent or a flexbow? What model stove and stove jack? Sorry, I know all the questions are a pain i just dont want to mess up my tent or spend unnecessary money.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks,

Do you leave it on at night? do you run a co monitor? Last year I base camp hunted at 11,600 ft. I wonder if it would work that high up. Hell, I didnt work very well up there.
I personally don’t leave mine on, though I do vent the tent when I run it. I’ve also spent a number of nights in a buddy’s wall tent where he left it running all night (he hates the cold!). I’m certain the wall tent was much more ventilated. If you do a quick search here, you’ll find several threads that address your questions about leaving it on through the night and heater performance at higher elevations

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
I personally don’t leave mine on, though I do vent the tent when I run it. I’ve also spent a number of nights in a buddy’s wall tent where he left it running all night (he hates the cold!). I’m certain the wall tent was much more ventilated. If you do a quick search here, you’ll find several threads that address your questions about leaving it on through the night and heater performance at higher elevations
Thanks,

I have searched on here and found some threads talking about the buddy heaters. In preparation from my son joining Boy Scouts I was researching the buddy heater option for winter camping. Boy scouts prohibits them,......3+ deaths in the last few years

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Last year while hunting eastern montana myself and my buddy each heated our Kodiak Canvas Tents with a bigbuddy heater, i did keep two vents open in the tent and one of the "windows" slightly unzipped for circulation as well. Had a CO monitor, a couple mornings it was -9 or so and we were warm in toasty in the tents.

Is it the "best" option, i am not sure, but it worked. I wouldn't mind trying a wood stove or one of those Nu-ways just for the safety factor

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
Last year while hunting eastern montana myself and my buddy each heated our Kodiak Canvas Tents with a bigbuddy heater, i did keep two vents open in the tent and one of the "windows" slightly unzipped for circulation as well. Had a CO monitor, a couple mornings it was -9 or so and we were warm in toasty in the tents.

Is it the "best" option, i am not sure, but it worked. I wouldn't mind trying a wood stove or one of those Nu-ways just for the safety factor
Thanks,
What elevation? I might just have to try it with the monitor and with out my son to get some peace of mind.

Brendan

WKR
Check my old threads / posts or search. I have pictures of my Kodiak Canvas with a stove jack and NuWay externally vented propane stove. Worth the effort.

JigStick

WKR
FourDog Stove for sure. It heats my 16 man Tipi and Cabelas Outfitters tent to sweltering temperatures. If you can afford the titanium model buy it and don't look back.

sam hill

FNG
Have the 10 x 14 Kodiak Deluxe model and use the Big Buddy heater with no issues in minus 20 c.
I don't run it overnight, just before bed and in the morning.

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
Check my old threads / posts or search. I have pictures of my Kodiak Canvas with a stove jack and NuWay externally vented propane stove. Worth the effort.
Thanks,
Your posts are one of the reasons I bought the tent. How does the nuway do at elevation?

OP
J

Jblack86

FNG
Just use a good sleeping bag and turn your buddy heater on in the morning when getting up. It will heat it up fast in less than 5 minutes.
Thanks,
I made the mistake of not testing out my sleeping bag last year before the hunt. I guess my faith in new casters and sleeping bags has deminished. I will be buying a new bag. I was not able to fit into my bag last year. I am built very thick and my thighs would not zip up in the bag.

elkduds

WKR
No issue heating my 10x10 Kodiak @ 9.5K elev w a tanktop propane heater. No condensation problems from using it for a few hours @ night, and 1st thing in the morning. No need to sleep w it on, it heats the tent within a couple minutes after lighting. As noted above, Kodiaks are more airtight than wall tents, so I vent it when using propane heat.