Help....Kodiak Canvas Cabin tent....... How To Heat It?

Brendan

WKR
Threads:

Thanks,
What stoves do you have? and what size are your tents?....If you don't mind me asking
The two I have are Montana Canvas, 20x16 and 16x14. Ive run through a bunch of sheep herder type stoves over the last 50 years. The last six years been running the cylinder stoves out of Utah.
The big stove is 27x16 the smaller is 24x 14”
Butted together the larger stove will heat both tents. The smaller stove is sufficient for either tent. Either stove can be dampened down at 2100 hrs and have plenty of coals left at 0500 to roar back to life in minutes. They are heavy but at 63 I like being nice and warm. We camp on the edge of the wilderness hike in and out. 365EB303-DB76-4966-90E6-BE435AB3D360.jpeg3DA6D6B5-505F-4CA5-9818-85D383A07A24.jpeg

Check my old threads / posts or search. I have pictures of my Kodiak Canvas with a stove jack and NuWay externally vented propane stove. Worth the effort.

Yup! I use the Nu Way 3500 stove. Ran one burner all night, every night for a week without burning much propane, used two burners to superheat the tent in the morning.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I have a 10x10 Kodiak and we use a buddy heater in the morning and before bed to warm it up. We do not leave it on when sleeping. I have used the heater up to around 8500 ft without a problem. I also have a Cabela's 12x12 Alaknak. I have a Cylinder Stove and would take the Alaknak with the stove, if extreme cold was expected. If you hunt long enough, you end up with a collection of tents and stoves.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Solo, I have the 10x10 Kodiak for vehicle base camp/hunting AZ, NM, UT and love it.
heat with Mr Heater, which has its own metal stand. Hose to bulk propane tank.
turn off as I get in the sack, turn on in the morning. Tent very warm in <5min.
sometimes boil my pot of morning hot water on the Mr Heater too.
My WA camp is wall tent, wood stove with Wells Cargo trailer. Appreciate the quick set up of the Kodiak vs wall tent. Setting up myself, wall tent camp complete & situated takes me 3-4 hours. Kodiak camp completed takes me 90 min.

In mine last year we used the little buddy heater but we were at sea level with no issues and at night to warm it up quickly we just fired up the Coleman 2 burner to make coffee and wow it got warm quick by the time water was boiled it was toasty and could be shut off.

I recently got an amazing deal on a Kodiak Canvas cabin tent with screened in porch. I have been researching buddy heaters, stoves, stove jacks, stove jack locations, etc... I have heard buddy heaters have issues at high altitude, cause condensation and carbon monoxide is always a small fear. Wood stoves have their own set of negatives but I think that is the way I want to go. Any help is appreciated but help from people with Kodiak/Springbar type tents is extra welcomed.
I have had a kodiak canvas tent for two years now and have used a bit buddy heater in there with minimal moisture issues. If it ever gets to be an issue a Nuway stove/heater would be my best bet.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
We use the nuway 4000 I think it is the big one anyway to heat our Wall tent at 10500 feet every year it runs from dark till almost sun up every night and we still have just a touch of propane left in the 100 pound bottle after 8 days.

Maybe 2/3rds. Hard to say for certain but there was plenty leftover and we were running it for a solid 10 hrs each night using one burner on low. Snow flurries outside, about mid 60s inside. Just perfect. It's much stingier with gas than the 4000 for some reason. If you're gonna be in one place all season, take a 20 like these folks. https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/nu-way-propane-stove-heater.437367/

Last edited:

Mi_fiveo

WKR
3c446abde4afb30ae622a637c79801f8.jpg

I just got my NuWay 4000 set up. Plan on using it for early season heat in my 14x16 Davis Tent. I’ll probably take two 30lb propane tanks. I haven’t had a chance to set up the wall tent and see how effective it is at heating. I added a damper and rain cap to the 3” stove pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just use a good sleeping bag and turn your buddy heater on in the morning when getting up. It will heat it up fast in less than 5 minutes.
This is what we do. We used it last year in Montana for deer season. Got down into the single digits at night. We would run the buddy heater before bed then turn it off for the night. If your layer up properly for the night, the cold won’t be an issue. We would then fire it up again when our alarms went off in the morning.

I’ve got a 10x10 Kodiak and a Portable Buddy heater. I run it all night with no problem. Crack one door at the bottom and the opposite at the top if you’re worried about CO. I’ve run mine up to probably 8,000-8,500 feet without problems. I did try running it around 9k once on a 20lb cylinder and it wouldn’t run. I didn’t have a small tank with me to try it at that elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
love my Kodiak canvas cabin tent... have had it around 5 years...I leave it up all summer long....I heat it with a little buddy heater and it don't take long...I do turn it off when I go to sleep