Help a rookie decide - Archery or 4th rifle

If you’re flying then I’d go archery. Ranch is big enough and more predictable weather, though not entirely predictable

I’ve hunted 4 units directly south (bordering or next over) from gmu13 but its part of same elk herd. There’s lots of elk there and they get spread out all over the area in September. Ull see them as low as 7,000 and as high as 11’k (your gmu13 doesnt have high elevation anyways so theyll be around).
If you want more experience/fun out of the trip go in sept (wait till mid month if you have a choice) But if your focus is filling freezer first then your ranch access in 4th rifle may put you in prime location. Even if itll be mild winter/no heavy snow. All the hunting pressure will keep elk moving well into private by that point anyways.
There are only so many properties that match 4,000acres in gmu13 if yours is the one on the west side of unit where treeline is around 7200 you’ll see elk for sure. Looks like lots of finger ridges to glass from too.
Honestly man with that kindnof access and size of property either hunt will hold elk and u cant go wrong with either.
Again: meat only focus-rifle. Fun experience trip with good elk opportunities-archery in sept.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
4000 acres of private land with aspens and water.......no brainer, archery. You could even set up a tree stand if you wanted. Anybody else hunting the ranch at that time?

Deadfall

WKR
Call the local biologist. Ask about resident numbers, when elk travel through that area. Then call game warden and ask about the private property you lookin at. If theres any hinky data he will have it.

In colorado you better off in archery. If possible...

Just curious, is your reasoning because of having to fly with a firearm?
Not at all. If I’m going on 4th season I’m bringing a lot more, more bulky and heavy gear with me. Just easier if flying logistically to bring less things in archery, forecast dependent

CMF

WKR
I like the milder weather and the experience of chasing bugling bulls in archery. I got a cow in MT rifle(never saw a bull after archery closed) and it was still fun hunting and the meat was great, but I'd never choose that hunt over archery season. Especially private land, assuming they aren't pressured too hard, you'd probably have some calling luck.

Jaquomo

WKR
FWIW, I've hunted CO archery and (sometimes) guided rifle on private ranches for 49 years in that general area. Some ranches have few elk during archery but are overrun during 1st and second rifle, then third season may iffy, 4th may not have elk at all. And every combination of feast-famine variables during each of the different seasons. Sometimes 4th season is a bonanza if it is winter range. Some ranches start out with few elk during archery but get better and better as elk move in from the public.

A 5 day archery hunt for a relative newbie would be a stretch, but you can also jump to public land afterward.

Assuming this is a trespass fee DIY hunt, I would definitely talk to others who have hunted that specific ranch during the times you are considering. I would NOT trust the ranch manager who is selling the hunts.

f16jack

WKR
Agree with the suggestion to talk to prior hunters that have been on this ranch during 1st and 4th seasons. I understand that the herds move and hunts are weather dependant, but info from prior hunters is invaluable.
Since you're meat hunting I would recommend rifle. Success for archery is much lower, even though you have the rut and may see more elk.

OP
G
Thank you all — the replies confirm that it is indeed a dilemma! There will be guys archery hunting all of September and I can get in the last week. Seems like I may be hunting pressured elk at that point.

Currently leaning rifle because of the shot opportunities. I’m very limited on time with two young kiddos so no option to extend to public after my ranch time. That also makes me think rifle it is.

Bless my wife for taking on thanksgiving alone with two toddlers 😅

f16jack

WKR
Are you alone on this hunt or do you have someone with elk hunting experience with you?

Jaquomo

WKR
Even though the ranch is 4000 acres, several guys hunting hard for 25 days in that area before you arrive, hunting all day in bad wind (which is usually swirling constantly between about 9 a.m. and 6 pm in most of Routt County) could push most of the elk off onto adjoining ranches. I have seen it happen often.

f16jack

WKR
1. See if you can get out for a weekend some time prior to the hunt just to get the lay of the land.
2. See if there is anyone on these forums who lives near Craig or Steamboat that could give you some pointers. Going solo on your first elk hunt is often a recipie for reduced success. When I was growing up in NW Montana I went out by myself trying to learn how to elk hunt. My first 4 or 5 hunts I didn't even see an elk. Later in life I learned what I was doing wrong. It would have been nice to have had someone help me along.

OP
G
Hey all, for those of you that like closure, I decided to go with 4th rifle!

All of the advice here is very appreciated. I was able to talk to groups who hunted the ranch the last couple years and had tons of opportunity and success in later seasons.

Still looking forward to an archery hunt in the future, especially if I can get linked up with some partners. Colder weather seems better for now so I can take a bit more time on the packout (hopefully ha) and lower the barrier to meat in the freezer.

Thanks all for the input, really appreciate it.