Heel Blisters- Need advice

This was helpful and echoes a lot of what I’ve seen from other people. I may need to wear a less stiff boot. These Zamberlans are pretty damn stiff. I might go with a Lowa or a Salomon Quest. I love leather and waterproofing but gotta compromise somewhere.
I had similar issues and I will say Crispi Guides ZERO ISSUES with my bony heels. But they have a narrow toe box which is not good for my hallux rigidus. Just can win. Currently wearing Kenetrek ME, went up a size due to my toe issue, so far so good. Looking back, I tried to fit my mountain/hunting boots too tight. I was really fixated on heel lock which likely contributed to my toe issues. KT tape, properly applied, has been a godsend.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I'll echo the Salomon Quest recommendations. Other than that, the biggest things for me are 1. Wool socks, 2. Gold Bond medicated foot powder. I'll cover my feet in them and put some in my socks. Keeps everything dry and reduces friction. 3. Leuko tape - I carry this with me, but if I know I'm going to be covering a lot of miles and a lot of climbing, I'll pre-apply.
I’m a bit worried about the durability and waterproofness of the Quests. I’m going to check out those and Lowas. I want to get an REI boot for the return policy and the fact that I can try them for a period of time and still return them if they don’t work. I may just stick those engo patches on and try them out

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Did some looking, if I bail on my stiff Zamberlans I’m going to get one of these. All in stock at my REI to try on. Any feedback welcome. I like not too stiff, tough, durable, ideally waterproof boots. Hunt out west (California and Arizona mostly) and backpack/hike a lot in warmer climates.

Lowa Camino GTX

Lowa renegade GTX

Salomon Quest 4 Gore-Tex

Asolo Drifter Evo GV

Asolo Fugitive GTX

La Sportiva Pyramid GTX

La Sportiva TXS GTX

Franger

FNG
Did some looking, if I bail on my stiff Zamberlans I’m going to get one of these. All in stock at my REI to try on. Any feedback welcome. I like not too stiff, tough, durable, ideally waterproof boots. Hunt out west (California and Arizona mostly) and backpack/hike a lot in warmer climates.

Lowa Camino GTX

Lowa renegade GTX

Salomon Quest 4 Gore-Tex

Asolo Drifter Evo GV

Asolo Fugitive GTX

La Sportiva Pyramid GTX

La Sportiva TXS GTX
Of those, I’d be surprised if Quests weren’t the best fit for what you’ve described. I was very close to keeping them. They were kind of shocking in a way, just how comfy they were out of the box. They have some secret sauce for how they shape/last that boot for sure.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
If you have access to a shop/store that specializes in "custom" fit shoes or boots, you might drop in and see if they can help. Some of them can "tweak" the heel cup shape to help. Worked for me with one pair of Zamberlans. But like others, as a precautionary step, both of my heals get leukotape no matter how well the boots seem to be fitting. Keep and easy insurance.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Of those, I’d be surprised if Quests weren’t the best fit for what you’ve described. I was very close to keeping them. They were kind of shocking in a way, just how comfy they were out of the box. They have some secret sauce for how they shape/last that boot for sure.
You try those Engo patches on a hike yet? I just ordered some. Want to try and keep these boots if I can.

Franger

FNG
You try those Engo patches on a hike yet? I just ordered some. Want to try and keep these boots if I can.
I can only surmise that they work to reduce the shear associated with heel blisters. It’s one thing to lock a heel down so it can’t move even one millimeter via lacing techniques. That reduces abrasion and probably helps reduce blisters to a degree. But I think it’s totally another thing to have a locked in heel with the heel bone moving and the outer skin “locked” into the heel pocket and the only movement is the skin between the bone and the sock/boot. That’s where deep and debilitating blisters come from.

So far, these patches don’t seem to reduce stability and support of the back of a well-fitted boot. But it absolutely does reduce the under-skin shear of the heel area against the boot. Combined with more flexible boots, good tape job, and quality socks, I think the patches are a great addition.

rclouse79

WKR
A doing a bad job following the scientific method and am trying the shotgun approach based on advice from this thread. Leukotape, liner socks, and the lacing method detailed in the posted video. If nothing works I will be posting a size 12 pair of Crispi Lapponias for sale in the near future.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I swapped the insoles from the stock Zamberlan ones and that already seemed to help. I think that plus the engo patches will be the ticket.

Deadfall

WKR
If yoy paying 3-600 bucks for a pair of boots and you need a engineering degree to not get blisters....Get different boots!

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
If yoy paying 3-600 bucks for a pair of boots and you need a engineering degree to not get blisters....Get different boots!
Hahahaha love it. If insoles and patches don’t work they’re going back to REI and I’m getting Lowas.

cams

FNG
had trouble with heel blisters earlier in the Hanwag Alaska break in process. Tried 4 layers of Leukotape P and that seems to help with blister prevention.

Deadfall

WKR
Hahahaha love it. If insoles and patches don’t work they’re going back to REI and I’m getting Lowas.
Schnees, brother. Best things I've ever put on my feet. I wear a size 13, have high arches and narrow heels. I wear tge testrel pair daily right out of box. The timberline had zero break in. Right out of box I tried hard to mess my feet up. Spent a week in hills traveling around with 75 pounds. Not even a hot spot

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I had similar issues and I will say Crispi Guides ZERO ISSUES with my bony heels. But they have a narrow toe box which is not good for my hallux rigidus. Just can win. Currently wearing Kenetrek ME, went up a size due to my toe issue, so far so good. Looking back, I tried to fit my mountain/hunting boots too tight. I was really fixated on heel lock which likely contributed to my toe issues. KT tape, properly applied, has been a godsend.
I fixed the heel lock but now my toe box is too tight- I might go up half a size, and keep the insole I put in and engo patches. Going to try that before I get rid of the boots entirely and start from scratch. This is so frustrating.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Went for a hike today and heel was perfect but on downhill with weight my toes were smashing into the front of the boot

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.....For the love of God get different boots.

This is like watching someone date a stripper and think it's the love of his life...
Hahahahaha dude you got me weak.... I want to love her! Lord!

Time to go back to REI... thank god for the year to return boots.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Shying away from the Quest because of durability concerns and I hike pretty rough country