Heel Blisters- Need advice

JStol5

WKR
Hoping I can get some advice- I have Zamberlan Vioz Lux GTX RRs. Absolutely love them. Used a precise foot measurement system and got a size that fits, fit/finish, width and toe box are great amazing. But I get heel blisters on both feet, noticeable worse on my left foot, anytime I hike uphill for an extended period of time. Just did a 13 mile backpacking trip and lost some skin off both heels.

Is this a scenario where I just suck it up and build tougher heels, or return them and exchange for a less stiff boot? They're somewhat stiff, a Flex 4 on GoHunt's scale. I got them at REI and have a long window to return them. For a less stiff boot I was looking at Lowa Caminos or something from Salomon... thank you for the help. I want a waterproof boot that is ideally leather..

b2one

WKR
Stiffer boots will definitely magnify problems with fit, and I have learned that when I am putting in a lot of miles with stiff boots, I start off by putting a piece of duct tape on my heels before I even put my socks on. Problem solved, and the tape will stay there for days if needed. If everything else in the boot fits well, I would try this, especially if you have found a good boot that fits well in the toe box.

Drenalin

WKR
Agree with above, except I use Leukotape when I have it. Also make sure your socks are staying dry...I get a lot of movement and hot spots when my socks get sweaty or wet, so it's worth it to me to stop periodically and swap out to a dry pair.

Hoping I can get some advice- I have Zamberlan Vioz Lux GTX RRs. Absolutely love them. Used a precise foot measurement system and got a size that fits, fit/finish, width and toe box are great amazing. But I get heel blisters on both feet, noticeable worse on my left foot, anytime I hike uphill for an extended period of time. Just did a 13 mile backpacking trip and lost some skin off both heels.

Is this a scenario where I just suck it up and build tougher heels, or return them and exchange for a less stiff boot? They're somewhat stiff, a Flex 4 on GoHunt's scale. I got them at REI and have a long window to return them. For a less stiff boot I was looking at Lowa Caminos or something from Salomon... thank you for the help. I want a waterproof boot that is ideally leather..
Just a heads up the toe box on the Caminos are definitely on the narrow side. You can heat the back of the Zamberlans and try to form them to your feet more. Soak them in warm water or in a bag in a crockpot on low for a little while and it will help form the heel to fit your feet more. You can also use the heel grippers on amazon or put leukotape on your heel AND on the heel of the boot.

When you did your foot measurements did you go off US or EU size? Check the Zamberlan size chart, they convert differently than other manufacturers. You may need to size down.
I’d return them and try a different size. Bad blisters can take weeks to fully heal and that’s time you can’t spend breaking in your boots.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
When you did your foot measurements did you go off US or EU size? Check the Zamberlan size chart, they convert differently than other manufacturers. You may need to size down.
I’d return them and try a different size. Bad blisters can take weeks to fully heal and that’s time you can’t spend breaking in your boots.
I used the GoHunt boot sizing tool to get my EU size. Zamberlan’s EU sizes run a little big, so I sized down from a 12 (sneaker) to an 11.5 boot.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Any advice for tying boots that might reduce heel slip/blisters?

For what it’s worth I was recently in the same dilemma as you with a pair of Zamberlan boots and heel blisters. Thought I had the fit nailed down when I bought them. I tried different insoles and lock lacing at the top with minimal improvement too. It wasn’t till trying on several more pairs I realized that I should’ve gone with a smaller size. Ended up getting different boots and blister free since.

Is it a sharp slip that feels like it will rub? If that is the case they are too small.
I think any boot rubbing hard enough to lose skin is likely too small.
If it’s a gentle slip where you can feel it lift but no pressure or sharp spot could be too big or could be fine and need tape, socks/moisture management.

Some boot heels just don’t fit our feet in that case it’s a different boot.

When I tie my Schnee's, I sink my heel and calves into the back of the boot before tightening and locking in the first bit of ankle lacing. That might help. Kind of like you would do with ski boots before tightening.

I also use a synthetic toe sock liner with lightweight wool outer socks. That eliminated any hot spots and blistering I've had.

rclouse79

WKR
The only boot I can wear is the Salomon quest. I just wish they had a better sole and were waterproof. I am trying to break in a pair of Crispis right now and am in the same boat as you. I am afraid I am just going to have to give up and buy a pair of quests every year and deal with wet feet.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a lot of boots that we’re great untill I went uphill for extended periods of time, then I found schnees beartooth and they have fit my foot perfectly with no hot spots from the first time I put my foot in! Keep looking is my advice. Also what kind of socks are you using?

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Is it a sharp slip that feels like it will rub? If that is the case they are too small.
I think any boot rubbing hard enough to lose skin is likely too small.
If it’s a gentle slip where you can feel it lift but no pressure or sharp spot could be too big or could be fine and need tape, socks/moisture management.

Some boot heels just don’t fit our feet in that case it’s a different boot.
it's just on uphill that I get pain/blisters. I will say, they definitely chewed my heels up less this time than any time before.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I tried a lot of boots that we’re great untill I went uphill for extended periods of time, then I found schnees beartooth and they have fit my foot perfectly with no hot spots from the first time I put my foot in! Keep looking is my advice. Also what kind of socks are you using?
I use darn tough and smart wool socks

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Leuko tape and keep grinding out the miles they’ll break in and you’ll love em hopefully.

Have you had this experience? Just takes longer and wear tape/moleskin until they're good?

Liner socks and lacing hacks work great for some folks, but not for me. Going a little less stiff in boot style helped my feet with heel blisters. Always fine on long flat, but heavy loads or very steep my heels got chewed up. I went from La Sportiva Makalu, to Lowa Tibets and now have a season in Schnees uninsulated Beartooths. I changed insoles on the beartooths because they would bunch up underfoot with heavy loads on steep downhills. Other than that quick fix I’ve been happy with them.