Heating options for food AND coffee

I’m starting to put together a menu for an upcoming solo elk hunt. I’ve got a few peak meals but also wanted to mix it up with things like instant mashed potatoes with chicken packets, oatmeal with dried milk, pre-cooked rice packets with smoked salmon, etc.
I also will be drinking copious amounts of coffee.
I have a jet boil setup for the water heating. I could also use it for the other meals but then I’d have to think about washing the pot if I don’t want my coffee to have a chicken and rice flavor.

My question is, what do some of you guys do for food vs coffee heating? Separate kettle for each? Bring a rag & Wash the the pot out? A Mylar bag just for the other foods? Reuse a peak bag for the other meals? Suck it up and enjoy the fish coffee?

Thanks in advance!
Swing

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I just heat water and apply to Starbucks Via in a cup and either direct to a freeze dried meal packet or a separate bowl/plate for oatmeal. This way my pot for heating is always clean. I do this to minimize having to clean dishes. So one Ti pot, one cup, and one aluminum bowl/plate depending on how you look at it.

Stove only sees water or coffee. Drink coffee right out of the stove. In the past have done Ramen and 2 tuna for dinner, pack them in a quart ziploc. When ready to eat dump Ramen, tuna, and hot water right into ziploc.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I do the same as above, coffee out of pot and meals are In freezer zip locks that I add the water to. Less mess.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I saw some of the sea to summit packable pots at my local North 40 recently and think I am going to try one this summer for cooking some non freeze dried meals on alpine lake trips.

BBob

WKR
think I am going to try one this summer for cooking some non freeze dried meals on alpine lake trips.
I wanted to vastly reduce the size of my truck/car cooking box a few of years ago and have one of these. I also have the teapot for boiling water. Both work well and nest flat together saving even more room.

Oh and to the OP's question. One pot, one stove for everything. Collapsible Sea to Summit cup for Mt Hagen instant coffee. I make all of my own dehydrated meals which go into separate quart freezer bags. Some meals are ramen based and they go in a quart freezer bag like the others. The quart bags go into a Hyperlite REpack insulated pouch to rehydrate. Oatmeal mix goes into Ziploc's to be hydrated the same. My backpack pots haven't seen anything but water in probably 25+ years.

Last edited:
Cup for coffee, light poly cup or titanium. I just poor hot water into the instant meals. If I do tuna and rice I’ll just rinse and white the pit with a cheap towel I bring, kinda like a red shop towel. Not as rough though and doesn’t leave fibers.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve been using Jetboils exclusively since they came out. I’ve not had the problems with them I read about; maybe it is because all I do with them is boils water in them. I make my coffee in my cup and everything I eat either uses the commercial package it comes in or it is my home made dehydrated meals in Freezer grade ziplock bags.

Only thing that hits my Jetboil is water… I don’t want my coffee tasting like Ramen or my Beef Stroganoff having coffee grounds.

I do like good cup o joe.. I do pour over and instant in a pinch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
MSR windburner and snow peak ultralight titanium cup. Just put your favorite type of instant in a ziplock and store it in the cup.

rcb2000

WKR
What everyone else has said,, my pot is only for boiling water.
Coffee gets made in a lightweight mug (GSI infinity mug), and meals are prepared in the bag.