Heated gloves/mitts for previously frostbit hands?

BigVick04

FNG
So long story short a series of poor decisions led to getting frostbite on all my fingers a few years ago while gutting an elk. So now anytime my hands get the slightest bit cold my fingers turn white, go numb, and will not warm up without 10-15 minutes of a direct heat source ie putting them in my arm pits, crotch, or holding a chemical hand warmer.

I’m just curious if anyone has found a good pair of heated gloves or mitts and found them to be worth the investment? Most the ones I’ve looked at have been in the $300-$500 range. Seems like the battery life claims even on the top end brands are overly optimistic, battery’s add weight and need to be recharged, etc.

Right now I’m using Kuiu peloton “liners” that are pretty much always on my hands, then Kuiu axis gloves or sitka/fl mittens/glomitts and almost always wear my sitka muff around my waist with some hand warmers in it.

I have researched extensively on a pair of heated gloves or mitts. Most every comment or review said the Sitka incinerator. Which is not heated.. but it was mentioned all the time. No heated glove on the market seemed to be worth the price.

OP
BigVick04

BigVick04

FNG
I have researched extensively on a pair of heated gloves or mitts. Most every comment or review said the Sitka incinerator. Which is not heated.. but it was mentioned all the time. No heated glove on the market seemed to be worth the price.
Yeah I have the sitka blizzard gtx mitts which they must have discontinued. They are warm enough to make my hands sweat if I wear them while hiking but the problem is when I take them off to do something like setup my tripod once my hands get a little bit cold my body is like “well I guess we don’t need these fingers anymore, stop sending blood to them” so putting them back into the mitten doesn’t warm them back up unless there’s a hand warmer in the mitten. It’s a real pain in the ass so I was hoping there would be a good pair of heated ones I could just turn on for 10-15 mins to thaw my fingers out then turn them back off.

I would look into heated gloves for skiing or motorcycling instead of hunting. Seems all markets related to hunting there's an abundance of highly marketed junk .

mlchase

FNG
I am following this one, as have the same issue. A year ago things went bad waterfowling, and I went to try and save a dog and ended up needing getting saved myself. With the help of some rescue personnel, I made it but barely in time. However, my hands are shot, just like you descriibe. I put heated grips on my ATV for my late season CO hunt this year and that allowed me to hunt. Like you mention, keeping them warm before cold helps a ton, as once you start the numb/pain/useless and try and warm up cycle it never really catches up. I am scared of blowing money on heated ones that dont work so I too am hoping for someone that has real experience with them.

I’m suffering from the same issues. I couldn’t even use my hand calls the other day on a coyote hunt.

Attachments

• 07B45F0F-1283-4C80-B9A2-C0EFF1839709.jpeg
    07B45F0F-1283-4C80-B9A2-C0EFF1839709.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 25
I am not a doctor. Talk to a doctor. That picture looks exactly like Raynaud’s Syndrome. I know someone that has it. Apparently, almost 5% of the population has it. Mostly undiagnosed.

But I’m a paint guy.

OP
BigVick04

BigVick04

FNG
I am not a doctor. Talk to a doctor. That picture looks exactly like Raynaud’s Syndrome. I know someone that has it. Apparently, almost 5% of the population has it. Mostly undiagnosed.

But I’m a paint guy.
I’ve come across that raynauds a bit when looking into it which is probably what led to the frostbite. I guess I could maybe try that NO cream and see if it helps. But it’s definitely best to take care of your hands because since getting frostbite they are exponentially more sensitive to the cold.

Thought I had some better pictures but all my fingers on both hands had no feeling in them for 9-10 days then the skin peeled off down to the second knuckle and that bright ass pink skin hurt like hell but I was just glad to have some feeling in them again.

Attachments

• 7AC12FDD-D25B-4CDB-83BA-EE2A08813C5D.jpeg
    7AC12FDD-D25B-4CDB-83BA-EE2A08813C5D.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 311368EC-1CA0-43C1-9586-B1FF99F8726B.jpeg
    311368EC-1CA0-43C1-9586-B1FF99F8726B.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 22
I’ve gotten some mild frostbite and can feel the difference. But I didn’t have nine days of wondering whether or not I’d regain feeling in my fingers.

Keep them warm.

Check with a doctor. Raynaud’s can be connected to other stuff.

My wife has Reynauds. She has several different heated gloves from “Ororo” on Amazon and they seem to work well.

I have been diagnosed recently with raynauds. It showed up shortly after getting symptoms and being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I get it on 3 fingers and once it gets cold it is very hard to get the feeling back. The rheumatologist didn’t have much to tell me other than keep them warm, run warm water on them. Obviously we know that is rarely an option. Best thing I have found so far is some liner gloves and mittens. I am looking hard in to getting some really good warm mittens but hate spending the money. Curious if anyone has any good suggestions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk