Headlamps...

Zebra light has some great stuff coming up in the next few months. An American based manufacturing facility, a lot of new designs, and hopefully better
availability!!

TD1

FNG
Need to at least check out the Fenix. Does everything on your list but colors. Most of the hard core "light" forums rate them at or near the top in performance, or did a year or two ago. From crazy bright to long battery life and 3 or 4 settings in between. We used mine this year to drive out of the field one night when the headlight switch went up in smoke in the truck we rented. On high, hanging out the passenger window, got us home no problem. Much brighter than all the lights the other guys had. I have the HP11 I think, basically an earlier model of the HP15. Most of the time I have the diffuser on, but take it off when I need to reach out with it. All my electronics take AA, this does as well.

http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/hp-series-headlamps.aspx

tttoadman

WKR
Petzl zipka. I don't know all the details about it. It is small enough to fit in tiny pockets. I can wear it on my wrist at night and use it like a flashlight. I am really happy with it.

slim9300

WKR
Wow! I too am in the market for a new light and think I'm sold on the ZebraLight. Looks like the H600 is now an H600 Mk II and puts out an INSANE 1090 lumens! Here is a link to comparison of all their models. I like the idea of a unit with AA, but the H600 Mk II really has me thinking. Maybe an HF52w or similar also. I had not really considered Zebra before this thread. Looked at Petzl, Princeton Tec, BD, etc. but I'm really in love with this Zebra idea now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atedkp7Jhq8wdGY0UTU2TmVwOW9Fc0FfUDFVSHVNS1E&authkey=CNqP6KIC&hl=en&authkey=CNqP6KIC#gid=0

Yep. I have one. It's pretty damn amazing. I didn't think anything could get brighter than my H600w. I love having a headlamp that makes night like daylight when I need it. For a backup and camp use I carry my H502w which isn't too shabby either with 260+ lumens. :)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Did a trade for a Large Kifaru Pouch for a brand new Zebra H502w Man is it a solid light. But its a Floodlight. So I want to add another light to my arsenal.... One that does a beam for a good distance and lights up an area. Im thinking a handheld for this maybe. I am also looking at that sc600 mk 2. Its a sweet light according to the reviews and what I see the folks saying on Candlepower forums.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Mk-II-L2-18650-XM-L2-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_123.html

slim9300

WKR
Did a trade for a Large Kifaru Pouch for a brand new Zebra H502w Man is it a solid light. But its a Floodlight. So I want to add another light to my arsenal.... One that does a beam for a good distance and lights up an area. Im thinking a handheld for this maybe. I am also looking at that sc600 mk 2. Its a sweet light according to the reviews and what I see the folks saying on Candlepower forums.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Mk-II-L2-18650-XM-L2-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_123.html

I really prefer the flood for most activities but you are right, sometimes you need a light with more throw AND good flood, which for me is packing the elk out of nasty blowndown and steep terrain. You are clearly on the right track.

As odd as it seems those candlepower forums were where I found out about Zebralight 3 years back. Those guys are a little goofy but very helpful.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Slim that was my exact thought also about Candleforum. But man they know their stuff on Flashlights.... So many years a light was a light for me. Wasnt until Ive found myself out at night wishing I had more of it. That was my motivation for this post and finding out what others are using. Some great advice and this thread is just downright great for Rokslide and the new guys that come on here looking for answers. Thanks again everyone for the solid advice and tips and Wrench77 for the hookup on the zebralight.

LostArra

WKR
Zebra and Fenix HL 30 here.

Both AA lights. Fenix uses two AA's.

The Fenix has nice big buttons for use with gloves. Long run times. Easy to change brightness levels.
First time to change batteries is a challenge but once you've done it, it's easy.

Zebra is an outstanding well-built light but their long clicks, short clicks, double clicks, brightness levels, sub-levels is stupid especially when your hands are freezing in gloves.

I'm a simple-minded guy but what about just off-on and change brightness levels easily for camp or trail.
Reading Zebra instructions is like a SNL parody.
Here you go (Zebralight instructions):

Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.
Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections (except the strobe) for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
The second sub-level of each main levels can be configured after 6 double clicks. Double click (startng with the 7th) to cycle and select different brightness levels or strobes. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Zebra is an outstanding well-built light but their long clicks, short clicks, double clicks, brightness levels, sub-levels is stupid especially when your hands are freezing in gloves.

I'm a simple-minded guy but what about just off-on and change brightness levels easily for camp or trail.
Reading Zebra instructions is like a SNL parody.

HAHA so true!!! The interface is far from intuitive for sure! They could simplify things A LOT by adding a 2nd button rather than the stand on one leg on a Wednesday if you've had chicken for lunch to swap from the 2nd the 3rd sub level!

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Zebras are a lot easier to use than the instructions make it seem. I felt the same way when I first read those damn instructions. Now that I finally have one, it takes all of 5 minutes messing with the thing to get it down. So easy, a Rokslider can do it :cool:

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is my heavy throw beam light Im thinking about getting. http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Mk-II-L2-18650-XM-L2-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_123.html Still reading up different options but bang for buck this one really has me leaning towards it. This is a handheld which is nice for just getting a spot of white light down 50 yards ahead while I use my Flood for local walking and at camp. 1100 Lumens is an insane amount of light.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Todd great question. Hopefully someone chimes in on that cause Im clueless. still researching these lights.

colonel00

WKR
If I recall correctly, the F in the model number denotes a "Floody" or a flood light....for the headlamps at least.

Lawnboi

WKR
That's the best thing about the petzl myo. It has a built in diffuser to have a beam, and flood all in one.

Iv been wanting to try one of those zebra lights for being waterproof.