Headed Back To Colorado!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I was fortunate to do two separate mule deer hunts in Colorado. You can read those stories here if you like.

This year my son has a tag for 2nd season again, and we will meet up with another youth (and his dad) from Texas to help him out as well. Just the two boys have tags, so the other dad and I will be helping the boys. Should be a fantastic trip. I'll post updates as often as I can, starting Thursday when we leave.

As soon as I get home from that trip, I'll meet up with my dad, and we'll drive back to Colorado for 3rd season. He and I will be meeting my brother and sister-in-law since she has a tag too. Last year my dad planned to go with me, but he ended up in the hospital as I mentioned in the other thread. Luckily he got his points back and will get to go this year.

Should be a couple of great trips with friends and family!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Dylan and I got everything loaded and decided to hit the road last night. After a quick stop for dinner, we drove until about 10:00 pm and made it down into Oregon.
We are having a quick bite to eat now and will be back on the highway shortly.

20221026_172708.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I sure hope the young men get into some Elk, and fill their tags. Exciting times guys.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We made it to camp and have everything unloaded. Just waiting for the other father and son to get here and then we're going scouting for the evening.

It snowed a bit and it's melting so everything is a muddy mess. Hopefully it dries out a bit over the next couple days.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like your son has a new style huntin boot.........😉

Randy
Yeah, Dylan has very limited mobility right now. He broke his leg and ankle and has plates and a wire holding everything together. He just got the ok to start walking in the boot.

Last night we did a little scouting. We saw a few bucks but nothing exciting. We even glassed the private ranch below us but didn't see anything big there either.

This buck was interesting.
20221028_165212.jpg

We left camp early this morning and got to a good spot about 40 minutes before daylight. As we were sitting there, I started hearing cow talk and then some short bugles and chuckles. We sat and listened to them for about ten minutes and decided to move up above them and hopefully cut them off during legal shooting light. Dylan does have an otc bull tag as well as his buck tag. Unfortunately we couldn't find them.

We glassed up quite a few deer including a couple bucks but nothing mature. After a while we decided to check out a few more spots. We ended up seeing probably 50-60 deer total for the morning and decided to head to camp to warm up and get some breakfast.

The mud is a real pain.

20221029_111139.jpg