Have any of you thought who gets your stuff. Or do they even want it

As my brother likes to say after a few of these situations “Not every kid deserves a trophy”. Be careful what gets left to whom. Once a loser generally always a loser.
There’s a 4th generation 30-30 that was given to my youngest uncle, it was a Winchester cowboy commemorative with a story and part of the family legacy. It was given to him so things would be “fair”, however as near as we can tell it was confiscated when his weed growing operation got busted. I say this bluntly in hopes that people that need to hear that part of the message take note.
I’m currently sitting on an unfired Marlin 1895 45-70 ( s/n is old enough to be one of the good ones) that I inherited that I have no idea what I’m going to do with. It’s great to have been given it but I’m torn between selling it in its unfired condition and picking up something I might use more, or trying to go find a Buffalo to shoot out of a box car.
We’re dealing with my mom’s estate at the moment, and there are a handful of things that mean something to somebody, but I’ve come to realize the other 99.9% of stuff we own will end up on a landfill or goodwill.

Nothing more honorable than inheriting your Granddads firearms or Great Granddads firearms. Your grand children might want them. I have a cousin whose son and grandson are hunting fishing machines. They both are in my will. One of my son's popped off one day to my brother (his uncle) about not needing to buy anything because he would just get all of my stuff when I die. I have sons who do not hunt & fish and share the outdoor activities with me anymore. They did growing up. However, they are in for a HUGE surprise. They will not be getting any of my outdoor related stuff. Should have their spent time with me and not a computer screen. So I now have "Young Apprentices" that are hungry for knowledge and want to learn to be "Outdoorsman". Spread the love!

dgl503

FNG
I'd save a few of the sentimental and practical ones in case your kids get interested in the future. Maybe pass another to your good friends. Sell the other ones you don't use or care for to get the one you really want. What will likely happen is your family will end up giving the guns away for 20% of what their worth to an FFL or worse, freely give them up to the local PD. So get what you want and have fun!

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few that I cherish and pull out from time to time. A couple old 22s, a late 60s model 700 in 243 and my granddaddys Ole SxS 12 with tape on the wrist just as when he handed down to me.

Makes think of this song.

This is the original and better version by Rhett Akins, I don’t like Aaron’s version because he changed the line “it’s worth a bunch of money, but it damn sure ain’t for sale” to “it ain’t worth a lot of money”.

It’s just a little thing but it was an unnecessary change that makes it sound like he is only keeping the gun because it’s worth nothing not because it’s worth a lot but the memory of his grandfather is worth more to him than its monetary value.

My grandfather (moms dad) was a competitive shooter and a gun collector, as was my grandma. He died a number of years ago and his guns sat in a safe at grandmas for years.

I grew up shooting with gramps, he shot a lot, usually when we talked guns it was hunting, shooting competitions, but occasionally he would tell me stories of the Korean War. It was weird he didn’t talk about war a lot with people, but he did with me. I always admired his m-1, usually putting guns away in the safe, I’d ask him about that funny looking to me rifle. It was a big deal to him. He once told me a story and my grandma had overheard it from the back room, she later told me she had never heard him tell anyone but her that story. He was a patriot, mountain of a man and even as a young man I really looked up to him and he knew I loved to hear his stories about life.

I watched my mom’s entire family go to nearly war fighting over “inheritances”……. my mom was pretty passive as she didn’t really value guns like her brothers and sisters did. As bad as I wanted a gun or two of his, i figured they would go to my uncles, and their kids and I was cool with that, they were his sons.

Before my grandma went to assisted living she had all of her kids over and randomly distributed guns out, I had no idea until my mom showed up Christmas morning that same year with my grandpas M1 service rifle he brought home from Korea and his favorite competition revolver. My mom and grandma knew enough, to know, these would mean the world to me.

And truly, those guns mean more to me than anything I own. It’s hard to explain what they mean. And it’s funny as my mom was really never into guns, sure, she appreciated them, but nothing like I do.

I later learned some of his guns went to my cousins that have since pawned them off for drug money 🤮

I guess the morel of the story, you never know how it will all shake out, but someday, your possessions might just become one of your grandkids most prized possession. Even though they really didn’t mean all that much to his daughter.

I sure hope someday I can pass it down to my daughter and she understands what it means to me.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I've got my Great Grandpa's old 30-30 Winchester that he settled their farm with.

One hunt a year I only take that gun and always make sure I see a new spot I have never seen to "keep the gun exploring" I haven't ever tagged with that gun, but for 3 or so days a year I kind wander with my family in the woods, and I almost wouldn't have it any other way.

southLA

WKR
One of my dad's friends, who is about my grandfather's age, passed away about 7 years ago. Before he passed and during his ongoing battle with lung cancer, he gifted me his double barrel Winchester. The Winchester was the shotgun that I had used to kill my first duck with the day I had met him in 2005. After he gifted it to me, but before he passed, I took it on a great goose hunt with a friend of mine. I took a picture with it and our spoils and gave it to him for Christmas. Since his passing, his wife has told me that he had that picture on his nightstand in the hospital during his last days. I never got to tell him bye, and he had no funeral service because he didn't want people to make a fuss over him.

So yes, those things can mean a lot to people.

Article 4

WKR
I had a friend just go through this in Montana, probate is something no one wants anything to do with so get a will.
If you dont need the $$$$, pass them on. Sentimental value is a wonderful thing. I wish I had someone to pass things onto...so feel blesses your daughter is all in

Do you have a will? If not, get one. Might also want a living will too...that way no one is unsure about what dad wanted.
Yeah, i have heard that from many friends...since I never had kids, I don't always think the same.

3 things I have come to find
  • Have a will no matter what
  • Have a living will no matter what - this tells people what to do if you become incapacitated, are terminally ill or have some real F'd up accident and are on life support
  • Have at least some sort of Term life Insurance for the period you want your family covered. 1million in term insurance is about 90-140 bucks a month and its completely worth it
DM me if you have questions

svivian

WKR
PSA since this thread seems fitting.

Even if you don't think you're going to kick the can anytime soon, have your shit together so you're not leaving a mess for your loved ones to clean up. Having a will is a good start, also adding POD's on bank accounts is also a good idea if applicable.

I keep a binder that is organized with
  1. who/what/where any investments/assets are and how to access them (life insurance, 401k, Bank accounts, HSA etc..) I use quarterly statements for each
  2. titles and deeds
  3. a will with designated executor and or clear instructions of estate
  4. List of owned items with values: guns, optics, gear etc.. This is helpful if your spouse is looking to sell stuff or find things that may be missing.
I update this a minimum of once a year and it goes in the safe where it can be accessed if needed. Another copy kept with the contingent beneficiary in the event that myself and my spouse pass in an accident.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I'll tell ya what, I grew up in a household that didn't have any guns, and seeing the reverence my buddies who did, have for "grandpa's" gun that got passed down to them makes me feel like I seriously missed out!
100%
My dad only has 1 shotgun he got new in 1980, but my grandpa's gave his to his son and he sold it for cheap. I don't sell guns. Everyone I have has a story and value to me not worth $$$.

My favorite rifle is a 1962 Remington 760 ... I wish it had family history... it will when I'm done with it. Scratches, cut barrel, tally marks.

My dad's shotgun will be over a fireplace one day.