Handgun for back country Archery Elk?

matthewmt

WKR
I would vote for glock 20sf with a reload.
A buddy runs a 460 Rowland conversion in a 1911 he likes quite a bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would vote for glock 20sf with a reload.
A buddy runs a 460 Rowland conversion in a 1911 he likes quite a bit.

I've been thinking about doing a 460 Rowland conversion, the numbers on that round are super impressive.

matthewmt

WKR
I've been thinking about doing a 460 Rowland conversion, the numbers on that round are super impressive.
It's a good way to go. I've always been impressed with glocks performance and the capacity in a 20 would be 15+1 so that's hard to beat as well.

There was an article going around of a guide that stopped a grizzly with an older model S&W 9mm running Buffalo bore.
I always think about a book a cop friend told me about shooting cases where a guy takes multiple 45 rounds and sits on the curb waiting for a taxi, while the guy that Takes a 22 is DOA.. bullets are crazy and when they fly they are king.

I just tried a thigh holster this weekend for the first time. Seemed to work well. Any run one that way for while? Do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run the thigh holster with my M&P 40 and 45. It works alright, but I don't like that the straps like to slide down my leg. I'll be looking for something new to go on my pack's waistbelt.

Beendare

WKR
There was an article going around of a guide that stopped a grizzly with an older model S&W 9mm running Buffalo bore.
I always think about a book a cop friend told me about shooting cases where a guy takes multiple 45 rounds and sits on the curb waiting for a taxi, while the guy that Takes a 22 is DOA.. bullets are crazy..........

^^agreed.
I've seen a lot of examples of poor bullet performance on close range hogs and the different pistol rounds. The one commonality to my examples is all of the bullets in every caliber from .38 to .44 mag is they were all hollow point bullets. All of these cases were more than 20 years ago and the prevailing strategy in those days was the jacketed hollow points were the best.

Well i know now that just isn't the case. I think the Hardcast bullets are going to be a game changer and they are going to turn even the lesser caliber weapons into bear and hog stoppers.

matthewmt

WKR
^^agreed.
I've seen a lot of examples of poor bullet performance on close range hogs and the different pistol rounds. The one commonality to my examples is all of the bullets in every caliber from .38 to .44 mag is they were all hollow point bullets. All of these cases were more than 20 years ago and the prevailing strategy in those days was the jacketed hollow points were the best.

Well i know now that just isn't the case. I think the Hardcast bullets are going to be a game changer and they are going to turn even the lesser caliber weapons into bear and hog stoppers.
I run casted loads in a 380 pocket gun

colersu22

WKR
Sorry, I accidentally linked the paywall version. I edited a link with a free version. What is interesting is it notes the experiences that some members have had on here that spraying a bear once was not enough. While this is true, it found that being sprayed 2 to 3 times was enough to completely deter the bear or once was enough to at least escape while the bear recovered from being sprayed.

colonel00

WKR
I'll check out the article. However, just glancing over the abstract, this struck me as odd.

"Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. "

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Wow two or three times? You almost need a back up canister

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yea agreed. Or don't hunt alone in bear country. There was only an 18% chance of having to spray multiple times out of the 72 encounters though which is much better survival odds than with a pistol so take that for what you will.

I'll check out the article. However, just glancing over the abstract, this struck me as odd.

"Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. "

What is odd about that out of curiousity? 72 times honestly might not be enough data to conclusively say but it's basically saying, no matter what type of firearm you use, it does not increase your odds of surviving.

colonel00

WKR
To me that's like saying bear spray variables (e.g., type of spray, volume of canister) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear– spray incidents. Are you going to go out on bear country with one of those little jogger keychain pepper sprays?

King of the Rockies. Look up the guy in southwest Montana this year that got hit twice by a grizzly. Sprayed her good the first time then she got him again a half mile later. I think a gun would have take. Care of her one of those two times. If spray doesn't for sure work and there is an 18% chance a bear charges again that is 18% too high of a chance. Don't know if you have ever sprayed a canister but I have. It does not shoot very far or for very long. You will be lucky to get two doses out of a big 10.2 oz can trying to stop a bear. I would rather not have to wait until the bear is 30 feet away or closer to spray if I could shoot long before that I will. I carry both but after you spray a can your confidence in it will drop drastically. I haven't even mentioned the wind yet. Was t particularly windy the day I sprayed my can but it still swirled everywhere and I was trying to point it down wind. If I had sprayed any direction but directly down wind I just got myself and the bear and we are back to square one and I'm thinking the bear has the upper hand at that point.