Handgun for back country Archery Elk?

I carry an XD40 everywhere I go hunting. 13 rds of jacketed hollow point ready to rock. Second choice is a lightweight commander 1911.

Hollow points are not a good choice for getting into a bears skull. Hard cast lead is your best bet, and the bigger/greater foot pounds of energy, the better.
9d8e4f10563aa405799ec3aed6269db1.jpg

440gr. out of a S&W .500 is my choice, along with plenty of practice, is the best option IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
That's also what I'm talking about. I've been involved in the killing of two BB's on Kodiak one night, so I do know a little bit about what it takes to penetrate a big BB's skull.

That is a hair raising story as well!

WKR
That's also what I'm talking about. I've been involved in the killing of two BB's on Kodiak one night, so I do know a little bit about what it takes to penetrate a big BB's skull.

You have more practical experience than I do. Just going on training, not exp. I've never had to do it. Been lucky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
From what I've read your like 90 percent more likely to deter the bear due to having a 6ft wide cone it has to run threw. I'm a decent shot with a pistol but even hitting a vital on a already moving bear you could still end up with him on top of you throw in nerves and it happening in a split second I'll take my chances with the mace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

From what I've read your like 90 percent more likely to deter the bear due to having a 6ft wide cone it has to run threw. I'm a decent shot with a pistol but even hitting a vital on a already moving bear you could still end up with him on top of you throw in nerves and it happening in a split second I'll take my chances with the mace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree that getting a fatal hit on a moving target, that's charging at break neck speed and wanting to cause serious harm to you, can be a pretty daunting task, to say the least, but given this same scenario, and only having a can of pepper spray for defense? I think you should expect to get mauled and hope that you survive. Pepper spray WILL NOT stop a charging BB. A high power handgun may not either, but if you have the time to get it out, and your a decent shot and can maintain a certain amount of composure, you will have the best chance at not getting mauled. Oh, you'll need to have some good luck as well.
Fact is, most folks that get mauled, never get the chance to even unholster their weapon.
Pepper spray is really only effective at deterring BB's that are curious, and even then, if they're curious enough, they'll come right back. A buddy of mine had one poking around him while he was fishing one day, he shot it in the face at about 5 yards away. The bear moved off into the grass about 30 yards or so away and rolled around rubbing its face in the grass for a few minutes, then came right back out onto the gravel bar and began snooping around again. My buddy, having shot the whole can of spray, packed up and left.

I wear a belt with 2 side pockets with redundant kill kit and water items in case I drop off pack and head quickly on foot. With that said I utilize a concealed holster from Alien Gear in the back of that belt set up. Doesn't get in the way of pack and I can reach it from any position.
I have carried both a 357, and 9 mm. I prefer the 9 mm due to reloading ease, clip vs revolver. I may be upgrading to a 45. Bears everywhere around me.

I recently started carrying a pistol when hunting. I did the research and realized I didn't want a bunch of gear on my chest. I wanted something I could use daily, for any scenario.

I have a G17 so a kydex holster made sense. Picked up a nice blade tech with a two mag carrier and both have the TEC-LOK for attaching it quickly and easily to belts or the waist belt strap on my Exo.

So far it's been pretty handy and I can't complain.

kicker338

WKR
I carry 2 items with me in the woods, 1 my glock 10mm 2 ear muffs. Touched off my 10mm about a month ago without the muffs on, lost about 50% of my hearing in my left ear.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry the Glock 20 -10 mm in an Alien Gear holster on my packs hipbelt but just picked up the Glock 40 - 10mm. If you choose to carry a handgun you should practice with it the way you'll carry it in the field. Drawing from a hipbelt can be awkward if you haven't practiced it previously. We have been testing out the Gunfighters Inc. Kenai Holsters and they are a great way to carry with or without a pack on as well. We are so happy with them we now carry them on our website as well. They are very well made and comfortable to use.

I carry a Glock 29, the compact 10mm. It's a good pistol, but I will likely upgrade to the 20 since they handle better for me.

Beendare

WKR
Here's what it looks like with bino pack and holster. It's a lot on your chest for sure but it's worked out well for me so far.
8dd1ba85804897cadda25557fbd295ed.jpg

Oh man...that is a sweet setup AK

....thx for posting the picture. I had played with a chest rig and never could get it to fit like that....its perfect!

avluey

FNG
Going to the Glock 20 for next year and also carry on my pack's hip belt. Have worn a leg holster on deployment before and am not a fan at all. I carry my G19 and 34 at 3 o'clock so pack's hip belt is the closest to that for consistency, but as mentioned above, not the same and definitely more awkward. My thoughts on point of aim are absolutely the head. If the bear is charging you, not only is the head the center of mass, it also houses the CNS. If I'm not perfectly accurate I'll have a much better chance of hitting either shoulder than I would aiming at a shoulder and turning one side of the target into a miss. I would never 'shoot to wound' a human threat, not sure why in the hell I would ever 'shoot to wound' a damn bear. Of course we still haven't mentioned the most important modification to any bear pistol: filing off the front sight post.

garrete

FNG
Should add, I'm talking big Western and Alaskan bears, not east coast black bear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So am I. Bear skulls don't deflect high velocity lead. If you are shooting a bear in self defense it better be charging you. If it's not charging you hen why are you scared?

Using an auto loader pistol is probably a bad choice. (Unless it's a 10 mm with hard cast lead). I recommend 357 with a 5 inch barrel or larger for pistols(again hard cast lead) 12 gauge slug would be my choice for bear defense.

However when I worked in bear country I carried a 454 (would rather have a 44 mag though) as the 12 gauge was toocumbersome for field work.

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited:
For those shooting the Glock 20 and hard cast bullets. Did you have to change barrels to get the heavy hard cast bullets to stabalize? I saw a review on YouTube and the guy had to change barrels because the bullets were tumbling. If you did, what barrel did you go with? Sorry for all the questions but I'm hoping to buy one after Christmas is over, if I have any money left.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For those shooting the Glock 20 and hard cast bullets. Did you have to change barrels to get the heavy hard cast bullets to stabalize? I saw a review on YouTube and the guy had to change barrels because the bullets were tumbling. If you did, what barrel did you go with? Sorry for all the questions but I'm hoping to buy one after Christmas is over, if I have any money left.

I use Double Tap 200 grain WFNGC. Through my research this bullet is as close as it comes to the ideal ratio of meplat diameter to bullet diameter which is really the goal of hardcast bullets and creating wound channels. I shoot it out of my stock barrel but no more than a magazine or maybe a little more before I clean the barrel. I believe the video you are talking about is from Hickock45. He was shooting the 220 grain double tap which most people say they needed to change barrels to keep form tumbling. In my opinion the Double Tap bullet is the best out there unless you reload then the Beartooth is available also and was actually what Double Tap made their bullet from because they used to load the Beartooth. Buffalo Bore doesn't have the correct bullet shape to function as effectively as it should and neither does Underwood. I am in no way affiliated with Double Tap and will say you are not going to meet the box flap velocity but the bullet will perform and it shoots pretty good. I don't like the price but I buy a couple hundred rounds at a time then shoot some periodically mixed in with my regular practice to keep me comfortable with making effective shots if need be.

I did not, but then again I don't think I've ever shot it farther than 30ft to be honest.. shooting double tap 200 as well. Although I've run buffalo boar and had no issues as well.

If you have not already try and find someone that owns it, and will let you shoot it a bit. It's a gun that is not for everyone. While I am serviceable with it enough to carry it in the woods and be confident I am nowhere near as good as with my Sig's. Just how the gun fits me.