Handgun for back country Archery Elk?

Beendare

WKR
For those shooting the Glock 20 and hard cast bullets. Did you have to change barrels to get the heavy hard cast bullets to stabalize?
Glock doesn't recommend hardcast in their octagonal barrels....call em, they will tell you.

The guys i know running the G20 with hardcast [which is the way to go, IMO] have rebarreled

oopslala

FNG
I use the KKM aftermarket barrel in my G20, got it along with the purchase of the gun because I knew the main purpose was a backwoods gun running hard cast when it mattered.

Ok thanks.. I apologize if I sorta highjacked the thread. They definitely seem like a viable option over the heavy Ruger Alaskan. Thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I still wish AGC wound make a bino pouch with integrated PALS on the back so you could attach a holster.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

6.5x284

WKR
I carry the S&W 329 PD in .44 MAG on my pack belt. I use the HSM bear loads (305 grain hard cast). The Buffalo ones are too stout for this gun. I have shot the HSM ones with great success. Even the bear loads are tolerable with the newer models as they come with a rubber grip that covers all the metal on the grip. Some people complain about the kick, but they just need a class on proper shooting techniques or a tampon. It's only 25oz and is a dream to carry. I honestly forget I have it on after about 5 minutes of walking.

Beendare

WKR
I still wish AGC wound make a bino pouch with integrated PALS on the back so you could attach a holster.

^^^or attach anything....good idea.

A guy would still need more straps as you don't want that holster coming with the weapon when you are trying to draw quickly. Having everything attached could work as double duty to help stabilize the whole rig.

danarnold

WKR
G 20 10 mm, diamond D chest holster, hard cast buffalo bore.
Fit under my Bino's just fine, doesn't interfere with my pack and I'm still wearing it when I take my back off or drop my drawers...
fbb45fec61015ab644b9bc95ce02163a.jpg

Fit under my Bino's just fine, doesn't interfere with my pack and I'm still wearing it when I take my back off or drop my drawers...
fbb45fec61015ab644b9bc95ce02163a.jpg

I do believe a Diamond D is in my future. I plan on running by there next week to see what they have in stock and trying a few on. Great bull by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danarnold

WKR
Right on thanks!
Really cool shop they have in Wasilla, super nice people, We were there in August.
The G20 is no lightweight but I never feel it even at the end of a long day

Last edited:
The G20 is no lightweight but I never feel it even at the end of a long day
The pistol that I'm packing is also not lightweight by any means. I just weighed it last night, 52.5 oz. unloaded and 60 oz. loaded (5 rounds). I think I'll take it with me when I go in just to see exactly how it feels with the gun in the holster.

danarnold

WKR
The pistol that I'm packing is also not lightweight by any means. I just weighed it last night, 52.5 oz. unloaded and 60 oz. loaded (5 rounds). I think I'll take it with me when I go in just to see exactly how it feels with the gun in the holster.

I definitely would. Won't be a wasted trip...

Beendare

WKR

Question; How does that holster anchor so it doesn't come with the weapon when you draw? Does it have a belt attachment?

danarnold

WKR
It does not, you're probably not going to win any quick draw competition with this thing but for how are use it it works well. Typically I have enough other stuff surrounding it that it pretty much keeps it in place.
If you tighten the whole rig up there is less of a chance of it spinning as you draw

Ucsdryder

WKR
Glock 29 with aftermarket extended barrel and 200gr hard cast. Best of all worlds. Lighter gun with a better barrel to shoot the hard cast stuff. I wear it on my pack belt. I forget it's there.

for a much lighter weight version of the Diamond D check out bravo 34 it is very well made out of cordura (good for wet climates) and it does attach to a belt or a belt loop.Plus it will save some $ as well

Beendare

WKR
I carry the S&W 329 PD in .44 MAG on my pack belt. I use the HSM bear loads (305 grain hard cast). The Buffalo ones are too stout for this gun. I have shot the HSM ones with great success. Even the bear loads are tolerable with the newer models as they come with a rubber grip that covers all the metal on the grip. Some people complain about the kick, but they just need a class on proper shooting techniques or a tampon. It's only 25oz and is a dream to carry. I honestly forget I have it on after about 5 minutes of walking.

I fell in love with that pistol when shooting my buddies. Its a feather. If I didn't already own the SW 629, this would be my choice.

Interesting note with those to your "Too Stout" comment. There have been issues with cartridges locking up the cylinder if they aren't crimped tight enough [SW mentions this in the owners manual] There have been cases of bullet creep with the last couple cartridges due to the heavy recoil. I agree, the recoil on this is tolerable.....especially if you compare it to the 454 casul or S&W 500
Buffalo Bore is aware of this issue with the S&W 329PD and thus they crimp them well.

Beendare

WKR
It does not, you're probably not going to win any quick draw competition with this thing but for how are use it it works well. Typically I have enough other stuff surrounding it that it pretty much keeps it in place.
If you tighten the whole rig up there is less of a chance of it spinning as you draw
Thx for the info.

This is a non starter for me and the reason I went with a tight belt rig. I actually customized my belt holster for a very tight fit on my pack belt for that reason. I practice drawing and dry firing a lot before a hunt where I might need it and my draw speed suffered greatly with a loose holster.

Nothing wrong with the chest rig...probably the best/most convenient location. Its just that I have done a lot of belt carry in the past so its more natural for me to stick with that....different strokes.

danarnold

WKR
Thx for the info.

This is a non starter for me and the reason I went with a tight belt rig. I actually customized my belt holster for a very tight fit on my pack belt for that reason. I practice drawing and dry firing a lot before a hunt where I might need it and my draw speed suffered greatly with a loose holster.

Nothing wrong with the chest rig...probably the best/most convenient location. Its just that I have done a lot of belt carry in the past so its more natural for me to stick with that....different strokes.

I try not to hunt in THE HOOD.....

mcseal2

WKR
I have a S&W 386XL Hunter I like for most use. It's much lighter than the steel 686 for carry and still is an easy gun for me to shoot accurately. It seems to point really well up close and has enough sight radius to help me hit at distance. Even hot 357 loads are easy for me to shoot well in this gun and I have had issues with flinching in the past. Unless I'm somewhere with big bears I trust this gun. It's as light as a 4.2" Ruger SP101 with a longer barrel and better grip. I used a S&W 3" model 60 Pro Series for a while, but the 357 heavy loads are really handicapped by the short barrel. This 386 seems to be the ideal compromise of weight and barrel length for me.

I have another revolver specifically for places with big bears. I practice with it but haven't needed to carry it hunting yet, haven't drawn any tags in grizzly country or made an Alaska trip yet. I found a good price on a nice used Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44 magnum a while back. I have smaller hands so I replaced the grips with Pachmyr's. I also put a set of Meprolight tritium night sights on it and got a Diamond D hip holster for it. I'm used to packing a handgun on my hip from toy Colts to my first Single Six to the variety of 357's and semi-auto pistols I've had over the years, my hand will look there for a gun first under stress so there is no reason for me to have it elsewhere. The 44 is a great shooting gun and the weight tames the recoil. It is heavy to pack but I like everything else about it. I like the look and idea of the 329 S&W and might own one if I spent more time in bear country. I'd like to shoot one and see what the recoil is really like with stout loads, the grip looks the same as the 386 I have and it does a good job with recoil.

All my revolvers have had trigger jobs from Flint Hills Gun Works to smooth them up. These two are no exception. I have shot and owned a number of handguns figuring out what I like personally. I never liked striker fired guns since I grew up with hammer fired guns and have become somewhat of a trigger snob. I wouldn't mind trying a 1911 in 10mm someday, my favorite semi auto handguns are 1911's. I've never had to stop the charge of anything bigger than a sick raccoon or wounded badger with a handgun so I'm no expert, take my advice for what it's worth.