handgun 2

bnsafe

WKR
ok, i just ask if anybody was carrying and is a 9mm is enuf. sounds like a ton of folks carry, SO, has anybody EVER used their handgun in the backcountry

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
A 9 mm is fine if your worried about two legged problems. I like a 10 for all things wild. I killed a black bear with it a few years back while I was looking for sheds. Shot him in the chest at about 7 yards. He didn't like it.

jherald

WKR
Used it on 3 loose dogs that attacked me and my dog while hiking. Never ended up using it on bear or angry moose, been lucky enough to avoid using that kind of force on a larger animal but wouldnt hesitate to do it if I had to.

Then once at work with an angry dog that attacked me and my partner, that was .357 Sig and it was a one shot stop. I seem to have the worst luck with angry dogs.

unm1136

WKR
Haven't used the .45 or 10mm on anything, but I am more worried about folks on 2 legs more than critters. Had a overly aggressive bovine come at me, chasing my son one time in the national forrest, but I had my rifle with me, and she backed down as we got farther away from her.

The suppressed .22, however gets used all the time to knock down cottontails, squirrels, and occasionally small birds for the supper pot. It is not UL, but until I convert my rifle to .35 Whelen and get some small game loads loaded, the .22 will be my suppergetter.

pat

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have had lots of bear encounters and two cat encounters without incident. I did however draw twice on bears that were not fuzzy friendlies (like most are) but never fired a shot. I was happy to have my sidearm (329PD) on those occasions. I enjoy watching bears go about their business but when their business becomes me I like to know I can protect myself. I am more concerned about two legged critters as others have said.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I should have my new G30s by the end of the week. I don't leave home without one.

2ski

WKR
I actually looked into this a lot over the past few years as I bought a glock20(10mm) off of a buddy who is a police officer after they were able to buy their duty weapons when Glock sold them new weapons. If I were going to carry a 9mm, I would look into whether my gun could handle +P or even better, +P+ in a FMJ. Its not hard to find those loads in JHP or other hollow point loads designed for protection against the two legged variety. For the FMJ loads, I have found that Buffalo Bore and Double Tap both make supped up loads. I caution that you go to a handgun forum and ask around if your specific model of 9mm can handle +P+ loads before firing them. I have a Sig P228 that I know will handle them as it is a military weapon that I bought off the same frienda and that is what he carried in it. Interestingly, I saw a Handgun tv show a while back where they fired a .38spc, 9mmNato, and I think a .357 at a car to see how these past police loads went through a car from the side, front and trunk. The Nato load performed very well, while the .38 special was easily the weakest load.

What I have found as I did my research is that a 10mm is minimum for woods protection bigger than a black bear. .41mag or .44mag would be a better load. You can think of the 10mm as sort of a .40mag. It is able to shoot 180gr bullets like a .40, but is also able to shoot 230gr bullets like a .45 but with velocity at 100 yards being greater than muzzle velocity of the .45. I like the idea(maybe naively) of having 17 in the mag to unload if need be. The .41mag and .44mag are revolvers.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to kill bears with a pistol. First was with a glock 21 in .45 and I'll never use it again. Take whatever you want if you want a gun for upright walkers, but use something with a bit more pepper if your worried about wildlife. Btw I only carry a pistol if I'm guiding bear and need to go in after something wounded.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I've had to kill bears with a pistol. First was with a glock 21 in .45 and I'll never use it again.

What was the issue, TRIPLE?

I have killed all sorts of wounded animals including deer, elk, moose, bears, horses, cattle, dogs, and swine with a .40, and they have all died instantly with a 185 Gold Dot JHP to the head. A couple of times a follow up was needed, but only if they moved at the shot, and I didn't hit the brain.

IMO, this brings up the problem with a pistol for defense against animals (particularly grizzly): hitting a relatively small vital area in a high-stress situation. I just carry spray for this situation.

I still like a pistol for "2 legged" problems because: 1. They are pretty effective. 2. Just having the weapon visible can often keep a situation from developing.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
BB- I do agree it works but the mags are a better option. Putting down livestock or mortally wound game isn't the same as a charging bear with bad intentions. The instance I'm referring to was a charging bear that tipped over at 8 feet. I put 4 rounds in it center mass and when I retrieved the bullets I was amazed how ineffective the were. To each there own but if you were in my shoes that day I promise you'd have a different opinion.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BB- I do agree it works but the mags are a better option. Putting down livestock or mortally wound game isn't the same as a charging bear with bad intentions. The instance I'm referring to was a charging bear that tipped over at 8 feet. I put 4 rounds in it center mass and when I retrieved the bullets I was amazed how ineffective the were. To each there own but if you were in my shoes that day I promise you'd have a different opinion.

Whoa partner,

I wasn't challenging you. I just wanted to hear the story.

What kind of bullets were in the .45?

Do you think a big magnum would have been more effective in that situation?

bbrown

WKR
I have stumbled across a few pot grows and one old meth lab so besides for the druggies there are the few "odd ducks" that you may cross paths with that I am glad to have a side arm with me. Then again I carry in town all the time as well...

Lawnboi

WKR
So do most of you prefer big magnums in the revolver form over a semi auto with a reasonable load?

I have a G21, and am wanting to trade it up for either a .40 s&w or 10mm compact glock.

I like having 10+ rounds that I can shoot swiftly in a reasonably accurate manner. Rather than a few hale mary shots with a big revolver.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am a fan boy of the Glock 29. Carried it everywhere with 200gr Doubletaps.
Killed two bears and yote with it.