Hammer Hunter on Game Performance

JakeSCH

WKR
Hammers are effective on game, but their low BC limits capability. I have used hammers out of a 6.5 PRC, 300 WM, and a 338 RUM to take 7 elk and 1 deer. Ranges from ~100y to 660y but I would probably limit distance on game to 700y due to lower BC.

I have been surprised by how long some of the petal wound cavities are....but on the opposite the exit wound is smaller and blood trail is not as good (a cow I killed 2 years ago had 0 blood)

For the bigger calibers, I have been happy with my hammers performance but for 6.5's I personally would rather use the 140 Berger or ELD-M.

In 2021 I took a bull at 300y, steep quartering away shot. Bullet when through stomach, paunch, liver, lungs, and exited far side shoulder...DRT But that was with a .338 260 hammer hunter with a 2800 fps impact velocity. Petals were recovered against hide in several locations...this performance stood out to me but then again that is a big bullet hauling butt...

Last edited:

Jkuhn22

FNG
200 yards with 166 hammer hunter out of 300WSM. Hard quarter too, with placement in front shoulder. Bullets pushed right through front shoulder and lodged in skin on opposite side. Bull dropped on first shot and got back up to its knees, second shot put him out cold. Probably did not need second shot, but it was insurance. Picture is after front shoulder removed and the damage the bullet created as it entered chest cavity. One bullet hit bone on its way in, the other was all muscle and it left a clean entrance wound into the chest.
IMG_5158.jpegIMG_5158.jpegIMG_5135.jpegIMG_5096.jpeg

After being forced to shoot copper in CA I started with Barnes. I wasn’t happy with the performance from Barnes. Deer died but expansion was minimal and very little blood with a couple different double lung shots.
Made the switch to hammers. I like the accuracy and ease of load development with the hammers. Since I switched I like their terminal performance. From my experience they act as advertised and the petals seem to create better wound channels. My farthest shot was a blacktail at 480 yards with a 270 wsm and 126 HH. He died instantly. Still had a pass through. Coues buck at 376 with a 6.5 PRC 124hh. Dropped in his tracks. Cow elk at 225 with the same PRC. Neck shot leveled her. We have had great performance on hogs as well up to 300#.
Give them a go. I think you will like what you see. Just pay attention to the recommended twist. Run a lighter class bullet than you normally would. Speed kills.

S.Clancy

WKR
I shoot 126 Hammer Hunters of of my 270 Win. Exit velocity 3240 fps.

Elk 1: Spike, 380 yards broadside. Shot right behind shoulder, dead in 40 yards. Golf ball+ exit.

Elk 2: Cow, 380 yards, bedded. Shot thru both shoulders, she basically stood up then fell down the mountain. Exit same as above.

Elk 3: Bull, 656 yards broadside. High shoulder shot, DRT. Both shoulders were pretty bloodshot. No exit

Elk 4: Bull, 600 yards broadside. Hit low, bottom of cavity, broke offside front leg. Bull bedded in 40 yards, glasses him till he bled out (couldn't get another shot in where he bedded and basically an impossible approach).

Deer 1: Buck, 470 yards, broadside. Hit behind shoulder, dead in 40 yards. Exit golf ball+ sized.

Deer 2: Buck, 330 yards, quartering to. Hit at point of shoulder, exited behind shoulder opposite side. Larger exit. Buck ran 20 yards then slid down hill.

Those are this year and last year. The blood trails have been voluminous and the inside damage pretty impressive. I like shooting monos and won't shoot past that 650 unless it's a follow up. Otherwise, I realize there are better options in lead. Just my experience.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
First kill with the HHT bullet. Shooting a Howa Super Lite 6.5 CM 20" barrel shooting the 118 HHT @ 2795 fps. Shot a whitetail buck at 175 yards thru the shoulder on a slight quartering away shot. Impact velocity would have been about 2570 fps. Bullet zipped thru and left a small exit wound (see photo). Did not see any sign of trauma from shed petals in the chest cavity. Internal damage thru the lungs was not very impressive. I think this is a better bullet for a 6.5 PRC or other set up pushing > 3000fps. I think I'll be looking at a different bullet for this rifle.

20231117_124707.jpg

First kill with the HHT bullet. Shooting a Howa Super Lite 6.5 CM 20" barrel shooting the 118 HHT @ 2795 fps. Shot a whitetail buck at 175 yards thru the shoulder on a slight quartering away shot. Impact velocity would have been about 2570 fps. Bullet zipped thru and left a small exit wound (see photo). Did not see any sign of trauma from shed petals in the chest cavity. Internal damage thru the lungs was not very impressive. I think this is a better bullet for a 6.5 PRC or other set up pushing > 3000fps. I think I'll be looking at a different bullet for this rifle.

View attachment 629554
You just need to push that bullet faster. That is SLOW for that weight of bullet.

JakeSCH

WKR

View attachment 629554

Any internal photos? I’ve noticed my entrance / exit holes are mixed on size.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I did open the chest cavity but don't have pics. Punched about a 1.5" hole thru the lungs. Deer did expire pretty quickly. I'm used to ELDX which shreds the vitals completely but can result in more meat loss and blood shot.

I don't shoot a 6.5 CM however from what I'm seeing with regular bullet data or Barnes data that's a bit on the slow side for that weight class. Hammer's should pick up some velocity by their design on top of that.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I don't shoot a 6.5 CM however from what I'm seeing with regular bullet data or Barnes data that's a bit on the slow side for that weight class. Hammer's should pick up some velocity by their design on top of that.

Yeah could not get good velocity in either of my 6.5 CM with Hammers. Even tried several faster powders. I did get about 100 fps faster than comparable cup & core bullets in my 280 AI and 6 ARC. However I recently cut back my barrels to hunt suppressed so moved back to bullets that perform better at lower velocity.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
What powder are you using? You should easily get another 100 FPS out of that load.

Tried Varget, 4350, Win Staball 6.5 & 4064. Varget gave me the best combo off accuracy and velocity. Got 2900 FPS out of my 24" Tikka and 2795 out of my 20" Howa. Sold my Howa and chopped my Tikka to 18", so mono's are just not gonna be a great bullet in that set-up. Working up loads with the 130 TMK and ELD-M now.

Tried Varget, 4350, Win Staball 6.5 & 4064. Varget gave me the best combo off accuracy and velocity. Got 2900 FPS out of my 24" Tikka and 2795 out of my 20" Howa. Sold my Howa and chopped my Tikka to 18", so mono's are just not gonna be a great bullet in that set-up. Working up loads with the 130 TMK and ELD-M now.
What brass? Did you pressure out with Varget?

.30 06 151 Hammer @2880 MV
3 Mule Deer
210, 236 and 310 yards
All 3 shots were well placed
All 3 basically DRT if you don’t count rolling downhill