Hammer Hunter on Game Performance

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I load the hammers in several of my guns and a few for buddies. I have been please with them but I took Steve @ Hammers advice and pushed them hard and make sure they are spinning quickly. We are using the 166/181s in 30Nosler and 117 in a 270WSM. I’m not going to say they DRT everything but nothing has made it out of sight. I haven’t seen any sign of tumbling, skin holes have been small but the goods were destroyed. We will continue to use them.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Definitely not trying to laugh at the bullet or the founder at all. Just looking for some discussion on them

Hoping someone can change my thinking on them and how they bullet wouldn’t tumble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best you can hope for is that they DO tumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WKR

WKR
Good laughs at this guys expense on the Hammer forum
Can you post a link? I'd like to see what they are saying about him

I have mixed feelings about hammers. 2 out of 3 performed good for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I realize that was tongue in cheek, but are you saying that they don't open up, so tumbling would actually give a wider wound channel?
I am saying if they open and the four petals break off, and do the best job they can do. The wound channel would still be far better if the bullet tumbled, especially past 4-500 yards. IME, Penetration is never a problem with monos but the width of the wound channel certainly is. As for not being stable, always drop down one more twist than recommended.

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
Can you post a link? I'd like to see what they are saying about him

I have mixed feelings about hammers. 2 out of 3 performed good for me.
Hammer moved forum and I haven’t found that thread on new forum. The old forum is no longer available.

I will say that this guy is talking about things we’ve pretty much discounted here, such as transfer of energy. Then complaining that an elk walked 10-20 yards then staggered and dropped when it “should have dropped immediately”, which, he claims, it would have done with any other bullet. Et cetera, etc., etc.

BjornF16

WKR
Back on Post #14 I mentioned stability factor lessons with Hammer bullets.

Here is one of the posts I was referring to where the owner had done gel testing at slower impact velocities.

WKR

WKR
Hammer moved forum and I haven’t found that thread on new forum. The old forum is no longer available.

I will say that this guy is talking about things we’ve pretty much discounted here, such as transfer of energy. Then complaining that an elk walked 10-20 yards then staggered and dropped when it “should have dropped immediately”, which, he claims, it would have done with any other bullet. Et cetera, etc., etc.
After watching part of his video on monolithic bullets and reading his responses to the comments i can see this guy is just talking out of his ass. He's one of those guys that thinks he knows it all but really doesn't have a clue.

MThuntr

WKR
I'm on a bunch of kills with Hammers. I'm not a great elk hunter and I spend more time archery hunting them.
180Hammer from 300WinMag at around 3250fps. POW black bear. DRT
143Hammers from 280AI at around 3170fps...Moose at 125yards (2 shots through all of the bones in the front shoulders to plant him), cow elk 250 yards, bull elk 450 yards, 1 antelope buck, 3 antelope does (1 from neck to hindquarter), 1 mule deer buck, 9 whitetails (100ish yards to 350 yards). I don't know if I've ever had an animal go more than a few steps though the bull elk slide 200 feet down an open, snowy mountain slope which was nice that I didn't have to work on him on the steep slope.

I'll be loading 124s in my 6.5PRC...based on basic info, there should have plenty to expand the bullet out to 800 yards BUT don't shoot animals that far and prefer to be much closer.

The only real problem is they suffer from not great BCs but again it's generally not an issue because I'm not long range shooting.

SouthPaw

WKR
Definitely not trying to laugh at the bullet or the founder at all. Just looking for some discussion on them

Hoping someone can change my thinking on them and how they bullet wouldn’t tumble

They absolutely can tumble if they aren't perfectly stable. We have had 3 different rifles show instability with Hammers using the bullets recommended for the rifles' respective (verified) twist rates. It may be that we were shooting near sea level, and it wasn't entirely obvious at first. Nice tiny groups that looked fine at 100, but we shot them through paper at 400yds and they were keyholing. The BCs also consistently true out .02-.04 below advertised. Drop an additional bullet weight beyond recommended and drop the BC by .03 and you'll probably be fine.

Bluefish

WKR
I found BC is significantly lower for the shock hammers with the big hollow point. Maybe .1 lower. The HH with the small hole were closer, .02-.03 lower. I did this by looking at the 100 yard LabRadar speeds. While not perfect it does give an idea on how it will perform further downrange. Based on this I don’t plan on continuing to use the shock hammers. I am loading HH for next season as the BC is still pretty good, easy to work up a load, and the SH seem to work well in use.

For comparison two Hornady bullets have shown published or better BC.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

Is this the guy you are talking about?

MThuntr

WKR

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
He's got a new video that is like 45 min long. He took clips of bad shots claiming bullet failures. A bad shot is a bad shot and a bullet isn't going to fix that. He has is running with a faulty Weatherby train of thought...shoot them with a bullet that explodes to "anchor" them.
Yeah... match bullets suck at killing.... Monos are the way....

Northpark

WKR
Here’s my coues buck at 392 yards last year. It’s a 140gr absolute hammer out of my 8twist 7-08ai. Leaves the barrel at 3003fps. I’m up to about to about 40 kills with hammers. Pigs, deer, elk, Aoudad, axis, javelina, feral goats, antelope. 64gr .224 hammer hunters, 140gr .284 absolute hammers, 199gr .308 hammer hunters all did very well. No complaints and very accurate.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
After watching part of his video on monolithic bullets and reading his responses to the comments i can see this guy is just talking out of his ass. He's one of those guys that thinks he knows it all but really doesn't have a clue.

He’s over the top for sure but he’s more right than wrong on most of his assumptions IMO.

I spent some time on hammers forum today… no bias over there at all it’s like LRH forum on steroids.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sold on them yet…

That guy has had a vendetta against hammer bullets for quite a while. Someone came to him after they had issues with the 214gr .308 cal which is really long for caliber and wouldn’t stabilize in his rifle. The guy who owned the rifle, after testing, simply switched to a different hammer bullet better suited for his rifle but this guy has since used it as a reason to bash Hammer bullets.

I’ve used them for the past few years, kills have ranged from bang flop to 100 yard runs with little blood using a 6.5 PRC. Internal damage was always good and they died within seconds but some times on a drive they can cover some ground. I shot my bison twice but that was a lung and spine shot with a 45-70, it took 3 hits from a 338 win mag and precision hunters for the other hunter to kill his bull and it took quite a while to bleed out.

I’m going to give them a try in the .30-06 this year though I’m waiting on their new high BC version to come out.

92xj

WKR
He’s over the top for sure but he’s more right than wrong on most of his assumptions IMO.

I spent some time on hammers forum today… no bias over there at all it’s like LRH forum on steroids.

In your opinion, what’s the “best” option for a 500 yard max on animal 300wm bullet on deer, bear and elk that isn’t shot more than 100 times a year to “practice” for hunting season?