Hammer Hunter on Game Performance

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
In your opinion, what’s the “best” option for a 500 yard max on animal 300wm bullet on deer, bear and elk that isn’t shot more than 100 times a year to “practice” for hunting season?

215 HT

If you can’t spin those 185 Juggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
Shot this cow elk at 200 yards with the 151 Absolute Hammer. Entered through the other shoulder and the main body exited through this scapula, other trauma behind the shoulder was from pedal/pedals. She traveled 75 yards or so before expiring.

20221013_092936.jpg

CCooper

WKR
215 HT

If you can’t spin those 185 Juggs

No love for the 180 scirocco for that range? I remember you saying they were flat nasty at more reasonable ranges, but that was probably with RUM horsepower?

WKR

WKR
He’s over the top for sure but he’s more right than wrong on most of his assumptions IMO.

I spent some time on hammers forum today… no bias over there at all it’s like LRH forum on steroids.

He does have some valid points, but he makes too many assumptions based on second hand knowledge and bias.

Another guy could come out with a video showing his bias against lead core or bonded bullets and say monolithics are the greatest and I would say the same thing about him too.

What I like to see is a balanced perspective with the pros and cons of both bullet types without the personal bias.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
No love for the 180 scirocco for that range? I remember you saying they were flat nasty at more reasonable ranges, but that was probably with RUM horsepower?
If I shot bonded bullets anymore, it would be Sciroccos. But if you are shooting to 500 yards, and I have seen people at the moment of truth get real fast and lose with that max limit. I want placement > penetration > wound width. I have yet to see a bullet outside of two ELD-X not get the penetration I need, but I have seen lots of bullets not get the wound channel I want. That's why I like heavy-for-caliber match bullets.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
As is the Berger 215 hybrid which is considered by many to be one of the best bullets ever made for guys hunting with 300 win mag.

Look at post #47

Look at post #47

I don’t have the time, patience, brain power, or money to mess with having multiple loads for each rifle. I like to find one that shoots better than me and then just stick with that.

For those of us stuck shooting monos at least for half our hunting, what mono bullet do you recommend?

6.5 and 7mm

Right now I’m shooting 168 LRXs in my 28 nosler. 120 ttsx in my 6.5 cm and 140 ttsx in my 7rem mag. Was thinking about checking out the 177 HH for my 28 nosler and the dead blow hammers for my 7mm-08.

I switched the rem mag to monos first and held on to eldxs in the other guns as long as possible so I have very limited on game performance from the monos but haven’t been thrilled.

wapitibob

WKR
A guy I know of who does 28 Nosler load dev for a builder, probably done 30 by now, is using the 177 HH in his personal '28. It's those and the Berger 195's.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t have the time, patience, brain power, or money to mess with having multiple loads for each rifle. I like to find one that shoots better than me and then just stick with that.

For those of us stuck shooting monos at least for half our hunting, what mono bullet do you recommend?

6.5 and 7mm

Right now I’m shooting 168 LRXs in my 28 nosler. 120 ttsx in my 6.5 cm and 140 ttsx in my 7rem mag. Was thinking about checking out the 177 HH for my 28 nosler and the dead blow hammers for my 7mm-08.

I switched the rem mag to monos first and held on to eldxs in the other guns as long as possible so I have very limited on game performance from the monos but haven’t been thrilled.
I would stick with the LRX. I am not a fan of Monos breaking apart.

Elkangle

WKR
Would be super cool to do like a zebra cull with hammers vs bergers..maybe shoot 100 of each
..Clock the time it takes to hit the ground and then average it over a decent sample size.. I am of the opinion hammers kill alil differently with the speed they go through the animal but my sample size is way too small and zero video so just going off memory which we all know is poor in these moments

Pretty hard to dismiss some of the work a few of the long range guys have provided on here in regards to lead bullets but am really liking what I'm seeing with a fast moving hammer

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Would be super cool to do like a zebra cull with hammers vs bergers..maybe shoot 100 of each
..Clock the time it takes to hit the ground and then average it over a decent sample size.. I am of the opinion hammers kill alil differently with the speed they go through the animal but my sample size is way too small and zero video so just going off memory which we all know is poor in these moments

Pretty hard to dismiss some of the work a few of the long range guys have provided on here in regards to lead bullets but am really liking what I'm seeing with a fast moving hammer
I agree 100% speed is the key with monos

That's a lot of dead Zebras:)

CMP70306

WKR
I would stick with the LRX. I am not a fan of Monos breaking apart.
So this is where I get confused, why are monos that break apart bad but the Bergers, which break apart, good?

I was under the impression that the whole purpose of fragmenting monos was to increase the diameter of the wound channel the same way the Bergers do.

You can join the Hammer TIme forum from the website, the community would love to share their experiences.