Guys that drive a long ways to hunt, what are your less common(but important) pieces of gear/tools you're sure to keep in the truck?

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
A winch if you have it, if not, a handyman jack, chain and some sort of deadman. I use car axels for a dead man. A sledge hammer to drive in the axels.
A good fist aid kit, lights, work gloves.
On Star or a Garmin in-reach if everything else fails.
Everything else I would take has already been mentioned.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A large sheet of cardboard (keeps the heat of asphalt off you) tarp (keeps you dry) to lay on if you need to get under the truck/trailer for some reason.
Extra set of wheel chocks because most cars don’t come with any and flat tires like to happen on a grade.
Any solutions for push to start and keeping a spare fob at the vehicle? My pickup automatically unlocks if the fob is close and someone could just drive off.
What kind of car? Should be a setting you can adjust.

winch would be ideal but a kinetic recovery rope can work if you have a buddy
ratchet straps and/or rope, gloves, first aid, emergency blanket, and water filter. I also keep a couple gallons of water in the truck.

Bugger

FNG
Any solutions for push to start and keeping a spare fob at the vehicle? My pickup automatically unlocks if the fob is close and someone could just drive off.
You should be able to turn that feature off in the settings menu. Or just take the battery out of the spare while it’s in the truck, probably smart to do that anyway.

Last edited:

Orlando

FNG
a few things I carry all the time.
Tow bag with recovery strap AND clevises is with me all the time. Also carry Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench, inflator (handier than a pocket on a shirt), tire plug kit, stik light, and extra battery or two. 3 gallon bucket on the floor in the back seat for trashcan and comes in very handy for other uses. Usually have extra bottles of drinking water in the bucket to keep handy. Roll of blue shop towels. Extra phone charger.
On the subject of key fobs - flew into Wichita at midnight on a return trip and found out my fob had somehow apparently came out of my carry-on on the plane. I had no spare fob. That sucked.

(y)
That and a floor jack are always in my truck.
1/2 inch impact and socket set are SOP. Also, a smallish, 1x1 piece of 3/4 inch plywood in case I have to jack up vehicle on soft ground. Gives you a platform. Also, a small tool bag gets used all the time. Had to beat out a fender on a trailer recently and the estwing hammer was invaluable.

Weldor

WKR
AAA service plan for paved roads. With all these lists, why not just bring a service truck with you? LOL . When ever you think you have it covered, something will pop up that we all did not think of. That's just the way it is. One thing to rember is a good tow service in your hunting area. I know where I hunt in AZ, AAA won't operate off a paved road. No dirt road tows in this area. I'm sure it is different by area or operator. Call ahead to find out just in case. Enjoy your hunts, no tags this year for me.

Been doing it for the last 30 years, Western Pa to Idaho 2200 miles on way. For years we pulled old trailers, always took spare hub assembly's and lots of tires

Man, I just rebuilt my trailer. Put on new hubs and hub bearings. never done it before. Took trailer on 300 mile round trip. checked heat on the hubs on my way back, not hot, so I guess I did good. I'm about to take said trailer to ID. I should pull the hub cover and check one of the hubs for wear. Again, just cuz I've never done it before 2 months ago

Finch

WKR
Man, I just rebuilt my trailer. Put on new hubs and hub bearings. never done it before. Took trailer on 300 mile round trip. checked heat on the hubs on my way back, not hot, so I guess I did good. I'm about to take said trailer to ID. I should pull the hub cover and check one of the hubs for wear. Again, just cuz I've never done it before 2 months ago
Why second guess yourself though? If it's got plenty of grease in there, I'd leave it be but I'm no expert. Do you have the bearing buddy type deal where you can remove the rubber plug to add grease?

I keep
1) NECO Boost.
2) floor jack
3) lug wrench
4) fuse assortment
5) tool box
6) extra oil
7) funnel
8) windshield washer concentrate.
9) shop rags
10) tow strap
11) first aid kit
12) air compressor
13) tire plug kit
14) Gorilla duct tape
15) wiring repair kit
16) A ziplock with toilet paper, moist wipes and hand soap.( under drivers seat for quick access)
Note:
I keep most all this other than the floorjack in a rubbermaid Brute bin in the rear of the truck bed.
I don't want to be digging for it in the bed or under the rear seat when I am needing it on the highway.
There is probably a set of jumper cables under the rear seat with the NECO boost I havent used cables in years.