Guys that drive a long ways to hunt, what are your less common(but important) pieces of gear/tools you're sure to keep in the truck?

taskswap

WKR
Upper and lower radiator hoses. They're usually very cheap, usually DIY-able emergency replacement, always ruin a trip, are very hard to find exactly what you need on Sunday at 7:15pm, and take very little space to store. If your rig is older, a serpentine belt or pair of v-belts as well.

Erict

WKR
If the underbody spare may be needed, take 5 minutes now to make sure the whole assembly is not frozen/rusted by lowering it and lubing whatever may need it.

Its dusty as hell in some places I go in MT, so consider knocking the crud out of the AIR FILTER when you get back on the hard road (and remember to turn the cab to air circulator to cut off drawing in outside dust that gets everywhere). Good luck!

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I always carry an extra ration of cash for emergency purposes. Sometimes, it's just a motivator for someone when you need them to get a job done. I've also had my credit card company lock my card down when I use it three states away from home.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I’ll get a spare key and find a wiring harness under the truck and use a full roll of tape to wrap it up so it doesn’t look like a key. Every car I’ve owned since high school still has a spare key under there and the new owners and mechanics never notice it. With a little road dirt, it just blends in with the rest of the harness, and getting through a full roll of tape is such a pain in the butt the only way I’d do it is in an emergency. :)

It’s also nice to get about 6 boxes of Crunch and Munch.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
We're 12 days out, and this thread proved valuable. Hadn't thought of the spare key/fob. Good call guys!

Im glad someone else found value in it besides me. I'm not a frequent poster, but this one felt worth the discussion.

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
I am starting to get my list of stuff I need for our trip in November and this thread reminded me of somethings I need to pick up!

CorbLand

WKR
Any solutions for push to start and keeping a spare fob at the vehicle? My pickup automatically unlocks if the fob is close and someone could just drive off.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Any solutions for push to start and keeping a spare fob at the vehicle? My pickup automatically unlocks if the fob is close and someone could just drive off.
My wife’s expedition is smart enough to stay locked if the key is in the cab. We’ve tested it as we just lock the keys inside the cab when we go hiking and just use the keypad to get in when we get back.

I always bring spare keys on a hunt and my partner and I each carry a set.

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t know anything about how different fobs work, but some cars use the fob battery to open doors while it’s in your pocket, and without a battery the fob (chip) has to be held quite close, like 6” away from the door lock to open. I seem to recall a spare key with a chip. The key didn’t have any teeth, it just looked like a key.

JDPAPA

FNG
The NOCO jumpers actually serve as a back up charger too for your cell phones and lights etc. Can’t stress enough the importance to put an empty gas can and a couple jugs of drinking water in the back if you have the room. By far the most frequent thing that I have to use is the compressor and tire plug kit.
A small tarp isn’t a bad idea as it can serve many other purposes, but laying on the side of the road changing a spare and having something to lay down will prevent some of the mess.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said some spare gas. Two years ago was near E when we pulled into a station . pumps were broken and next was 30 miles away. Had to siphon gas out of the ATV to make it.

bozeman

WKR
18 hour drive one way for me:
-wiper fluid that won’t freeze up
-electric chainsaw
-tow strap (2 ft 2x4)

-tire plug kit
-small jump start for battery

-small air compressor

-stop every 2 hours and top off gas and do jumping jacks (keeps you fresh and focused)
-large igloo cooler full of water (like used on sidelines in football)

Drive safe and best of luck!

rw79

FNG
If your truck has the capability, pay for internet access for the month of your hunt. It might seem silly, but if you get stuck in a place with zero reception and get lost or need assistance, accessing your truck’s wifi can be a life saver.

ThorM465

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got an F350 that a couple of buddies and I will be taking to WY for the first time in 6 weeks. I added a few critical components to my truck a few years ago that are ideal for this trip.
I grabbed a Warn 16.5TiS winch for cheap off market place. The relays were shot, so I upgraded it to the modern pack.
I added an onboard air system. I highly recommend it.
Screenshot 2024-08-28 142551.png
I added a Ham radio. However, I've never found time to go get my license. It's 1 Saturday a month and it never fails we always have something going on.

I absolutely plan to have my tire patch kit in the tool box and a tow strap. We'll have some basic hand tools. We'll have a shared e-tool with our gear for disposing of human waste and tipi, so that covers the shovel.

I've never bought a NOCO battery jumper, because I knew it would be dead the day I needed it due to just sitting over time. However, after reading this thread it occurred to me it might be a good idea to buy one for this annual trip.

I'm surprised no one said windshield scraper for ice removal. I assume that's standard for your northerners, but not so much for us in the South.

I'm bring a steel plate and spray paint for confirming zeros at elevation if we can find a secluded campsite with a good backstop / mountain side.

I'm going to bring a couple of 5 gal buckets and a little detergent to wash the base layers if we end up in the brush for over a week and don't want to head back to civilization to find a laundry mat. I'm to old for swamp ass.

Edit: I forgot to add that I added a 6X gallon Titan tank to my truck. If that’s not enough fuel we’ve seriously done something wrong.

Last edited: