Gun and ammo sales

jamo172

FNG
The problem is that manufactures are buying components too. Not saying don't get started, buy stuff as you find it but until the run on ammo stops, components will be difficult to find.
Yes, but at some point the component manufacturers will get caught up, raw components (up until recently) have always been much easier to find than ammunition.

Even after component manufacturers get back on track and can pump more out into the market there will still be limited amounts of ammunition because most people do not load their own ammo.

CorbLand

WKR
Yes, but at some point the component manufacturers will get caught up, raw components (up until recently) have always been much easier to find than ammunition.

Even after component manufacturers get back on track and can pump more out into the market there will still be limited amounts of ammunition because most people do not load their own ammo.
Must be different where you are but reloading components have been hard to find for 7 months here. The run on them happened in tandem with the run on ammo and both of which is still happening. I would imagine it will be 2 years before things are back in stock regularly.

jamo172

FNG
Must be different where you are but reloading components have been hard to find for 7 months here. The run on them happened in tandem with the run on ammo.
I am basing this off of supply and demand economics. I have ran into a lot of it that I wish I had gone ahead and picked up (especially since I am currently quarantined due to COVID).

Unless they come through and make sweeping changes right off the bat via executive orders (god I hope not) I think there will be enough time for component manufacturers to get back in front of it.

Spoonbill

WKR
I am basing this off of supply and demand economics. I have ran into a lot of it that I wish I had gone ahead and picked up (especially since I am currently quarantined due to COVID).

Unless they come through and make sweeping changes right off the bat via executive orders (god I hope not) I think there will be enough time for component manufacturers to get back in front of it.
The biggest issue is primers. And there are 4 US companies that make primers, federal, cci, winchester and remington. So unless the start doubling capacity or a country overseas does, we are going to be SOL for a while.

Lawnboi

WKR
Oh I am absolutely tracking that. It is absolutely out of hand.

At some point the manufacturers are going to get caught back up, but based on recent history I think we will continue to see a run on ammunition. It'll still be scarce once components become available again so I think it will be worthwhile to get started now so that the operation can really get moving after that.
Keep an eye out. Components are still rolling in. I picked up 2k small rifle primers in the last month, not expecting them, but being in the right place at the right time. I started reloading when all this started and have a good pile of supplies now. I wouldn’t wait to start buying components though. Go check small local shops.

jamo172

FNG
Keep an eye out. Components are still rolling in. I picked up 2k small rifle primers in the last month, not expecting them, but being in the right place at the right time. I started reloading when all this started and have a good pile of supplies now. I wouldn’t wait to start buying components though. Go check small local shops.
That is what I am seeing a lot of, people are running into a few thousand primers at a time here and there. If I can get enough to get me started here and there I'll be happy!

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest issue is primers. And there are 4 US companies that make primers, federal, cci, winchester and remington. So unless the start doubling capacity or a country overseas does, we are going to be SOL for a while.
This. Primers are virtually impossible to find unless you desire to pay 4-5x as much. And the ammo makers are in the same boat; they can't get primers either.

fwafwow

WKR
I like how this thread veers off course and then is brought back around. FWIW I purchased a good bit of ammo in late March and the prices have doubled, or more. I hope the pricing is temporary but I’m not holding my breath.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I like how this thread veers off course and then is brought back around. FWIW I purchased a good bit of ammo in late March and the prices have doubled, or more. I hope the pricing is temporary but I’m not holding my breath.
I share your concerns about this maybe not being temporary. My local stores still don't have surplus TP or sanitizing wipes; it sells as fast as it arrives and as far as I know, no political party is trying to restrict the sale or ownership of those products. Ironically, I was at one of the biggest firearms stores locally yesterday; they had almost no ammo, zero primers, limited bullets, but had 4 pounds of RL26 - one of the hardest to find powders out there!

rayporter

WKR
Remington has not been making primers i am pretty sure.

that has taken some out of the picture. the plant has been shut down [ i go past it sometimes] and it is just now trying to get back up.

but that still would not have done much good.

when do you think the run will be over. i fear it will be more than a year.
and if they really start to try to do something in 2022, you can for get that year too.

the cost to compete is starting to get to some guys.

Rob5589

WKR
I'm not sure how reloading is treated in Cali but I'll be starting to reload in Texas here shortly that is for sure.

I can supply a lot of buddies with ammo for cheap and keep my costs low without breaking any laws.
Currently no issues with reloading comps. But it is only a matter of time. The new democratic regime will certainly embolden CA to go all out on gun ownership.

Lawnboi

WKR
That is what I am seeing a lot of, people are running into a few thousand primers at a time here and there. If I can get enough to get me started here and there I'll
That is what I am seeing a lot of, people are running into a few thousand primers at a time here and there. If I can get enough to get me started here and there I'll be happy!
Just today I stopped at fleet farm, to get some dog stuff. Ended up having 1200 large rifle primers in stock. Couldn’t walk past. Just keep an eye out and be ready to pick them up as you go

jamo172

FNG
Just today I stopped at fleet farm, to get some dog stuff. Ended up having 1200 large rifle primers in stock. Couldn’t walk past. Just keep an eye out and be ready to pick them up as you go
Apparently our neighbors to the north aren't having too much trouble. I stumbled across a Canadian website that has tons in stock. Sounds like this might be similar to the toilet paper situation.

Rob5589

WKR
Apparently our neighbors to the north aren't having too much trouble. I stumbled across a Canadian website that has tons in stock. Sounds like this might be similar to the toilet paper situation.
Start bootlegging primers and TP and make a fortune!

Pretty sure everything will be back to normal in ~6-12 months and guns/ammo will be plentiful and cheap.

Meanwhile dudes that already had 3x more guns than they need and 5x more ammo will be sitting on 5x more guns than they need and 10x more ammo. This isn’t the first time a Democrat took over and won’t be the last. Remember the only actual change after 8 years of Obama was a ban on bump stocks.

jamo172

FNG
Pretty sure everything will be back to normal in ~6-12 months and guns/ammo will be plentiful and cheap.

Meanwhile dudes that already had 3x more guns than they need and 5x more ammo will be sitting on 5x more guns than they need and 10x more ammo. This isn’t the first time a Democrat took over and won’t be the last. Remember the only actual change after 8 years of Obama was a ban on bump stocks.
Don't forget that ban on bump stocks was pushed through by a "Republican"

WCB

WKR

Not a chance it will be back to normal in that time frame....unless of course the legal moves buy Trump work and he stays.

It is hard to understand how people rationalize stuff to conform with their wishes. Total disconnect with reality.
Lact of common sense period. Some of these people are extremely over educated to the point of being stupid.

WCB

WKR
As someone mentioned above the guys that think they are Rambo is the problem. "I have 10,000 rounds of xyz caliber just incase SHTF". Ok I'll play a long...you will probably be dead one or two mags in max. The overwhelming majority of guys overseas for years in combat have not shot close to that many rounds in firefights (machine gunners exempt). Oh yeah your fat and out of shape and even the most fit guy can't carry that much ammo...so you are going to leave all but a few hundred rounds for the next guy.

Primers are hard to find because you can count on one hand the amount of primer manufacturers, the primers that are manufactured are being loaded into factory ammunition because that is the life blood of ammunition manufacturers, not selling a primer for a few pennies. Basically any other ammunition manufacturer that does not sell primers as a component is basically relying on the ones that do for primers for their ammunition also. Remington running at barely double digit capacity has not helped very much that is for sure.

As someone who has more ammo than some but not as much as I want I'm going to come to the defense of the bulk buyers and "hoarder" crowd.

I wish I would have prioritized buying ammo a year ago when prices were better. I like to shoot a lot now I can't justify it. If I had been sitting on 5K rounds of 9mm or 5.56 I wouldn't have missed a beat. I'm certainly not going to burn through my current supply just for the fun of it.

Anyone complaining about not being able to find it needs to remember this and keep a stock beyond the half box. Buy when times are good.

There are some rounds I have been looking for for 6 months without luck, even at way inflated resale prices.

A failure to plan is planning to fail