Grizzly bear killed in Unit 6

Fujicon

FNG
Unless I jump scare a black bear or run into a mom and cubs I've never been too worried about them. Just always cautious, so I guess I'm a little surprised at that but it makes sense.
Yes, almost seems non-intuitive, but typically it's those mamas with cubs. Honestly, I can't say whether the same stats still hold true today since I read that some years ago and it surprised me when I read it, thus it stuck in my head. I also remember the same article said that Japan had the third highest number of bear attacks in the world, which also caught me by surprise.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I think wolves and all bears are cool and should be part of that mountainous terrain. But like others have stated they should be managed through hunting so they don't hear rifle shots or old men picking huckleberry's and think of a dinner bell. Without a structured hunt we are just slow pieces of meat that on occasion are properly armed and don't get mauled like the 72 year old in great falls there a week or so ago.

I'm from pa so I don't understand or have much knowledge on the situation, why are grizzlies hated so much? Are they that mean and nasty? I've always thought they're part of the ecosystem as long as they're managed then for the most part they're just bears doing bear things.
it is not so much the animal, but the laws pertaning to the animal. For me, access rules to the forest change because of them. I am not worried about the animal, just don't like being told i can not go somewhere anymore because they are making a comeback. ie snowmobile access in winter in north idaho has changed due to them coming out of there dens in april. Some place i have snowmobiled for decades, i can't legally go there in april anymore, even know, there are more bears now, than 5 years ago.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
it is not so much the animal, but the laws pertaning to the animal. For me, access rules to the forest change because of them. I am not worried about the animal, just don't like being told i can not go somewhere anymore because they are making a comeback. ie snowmobile access in winter in north idaho has changed due to them coming out of there dens in april. Some place i have snowmobiled for decades, i can't legally go there in april anymore, even know, there are more bears now, than 5 years ago.

I didn’t even know that and I live up here, probably because I don’t own a sled.

What do they say exactly harms them if coming out of the dens and someone is riding a sled around? Stress that leads to them dying?

nsimmons

FNG
I didn't even know that was a thing I figured everyone just continued per usual and there were just grizzlies added to the mix.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to see more griz in Idaho - even repopulated into the Sawtooths, White Clouds, and the Lost River range. BUT: they need to have a hunting season; even with a quota of only several a year. The reason is that this species has demonstrated that they will treat us as a prey animal - it's why we wiped out most of them years ago. I think we're seeing more attacks in more areas, especially in Idaho, because there are actually more griz in more areas than we realize, and also because after decades of protected status, they are losing their legacy respect and fear of humans.