Grizz Stories

On my Alaskan moose hunt a couple of years ago, after tagging out early, my outfitter came & pulled my guide and I off the mountain while black bear hunting because of an approaching storm. Once back at camp, another hunter was in route as well as he had just tagged out on his moose. Since it would be a couple more hours before the storm arrived they decided to fly us down to the river inlet for some intense salmon fishing. While we both fished, the pilot was going back to shuttle out the other hunters moose to camp. I was flown out to the river first. On the pilots trip back to get the other hunter he flew over the kill site and saw that the young packer was in a standoff with a big boar (brown bear). He circled a couple of times to insure all was well and as it appeared to be under control, he went on to camp and grabbed the hunter and then flew him down to the river with me.

Once there the pilot then left to go back to pick up the moose meat and head at the drop site. There awaited the young packer sitting on the meat as though nothing was up. As they were loading the plane the pilot noticed the packers backpack was shredded from top to bottom. He joking said, “bear get ya”? The packer, not jokingly said, ”yes, he came back at me from behind as I was hauling a load out. Just before he lurched and swiped to shred my pack and knock me down, I realized what was happening and was able to fall forward with my arms out to brace my fall. I was able to quickly grab my gun (semi-auto pistol) and started firing beneath my armpit at the bear. He turned and ran off”.

We heard the story when the pilot came to get us from fishing but didn’t believe it. When we got back to camp, there laid his pack shredded on the porch. You couldn’t pay me any amount of money to pack out an animal alone in Alaska.

Last edited:

Legend

WKR
We knew better than to cut through this basin as everytime we had gone in there we found Mr. Gbear. It has some thick alder, water and is surrounded by a large burn and it is his home. After several days bowhunting elk and finding little success we decided to move camp. And the quickest way to our other area was to go through that basin. We waited till mid-day and loaded up for the big move to higher ground. We were walking up a game trail on the edge of thick alder to our left and thick lodgepole to our right. And then it happened....Out of nowhere the alders about 50yds out exploded in noise. My first thought was that we jumped an elk. Then it became obvious that it was coming towards us very fast. My instinct had me drop two steps back, draw bear spray and aim. First lesson, I have spent 20 years planning and preparing for this moment and I think I was fast enough but if it was loser or in more open terrain I would have been too slow...the lesson: they are faster than you can imagine. At the same time my partner turned to face the noise and went to draw his pistol. Second lesson, when in bear country do not hike with your hands in the treking pole wrist straps. His hands momentarily tangled and he couldn't draw his pistol. Meanwhile I was the direct target that the bear was aiming for. He cleared the alders somewhere around 10 to 15ft away from me. I remember thinking his eyes were really small and the silver touch hair on his back was impressive. I held off on discharging the spray mostly because my partner was closer to the bear and somewhat in the path, although he was out of the bears sight behind a tree trunk. Then as quickly as he came he ran dead away. We gathered our thoughts and made a quick dash to the largest clearing ahead of us. Once we got there the adrenaline spike was impressive! We couldn't believe how close that was. And then it got really scary.... Apparently Mr gbear changed his mind and decided there was nothing on that mountain that he should fear. He came back but this time he was being strategic. He started to circle us snapping his jaw. It sounded like someone chopping wood but at a much faster pace. He was smart and stayed just out of site at maybe 30 yds. Then he would go quiet....then we would hear the snapping 90 degrees from where he was! I was sure that at any second he was going to come at us again. Then it got worse, he stopped making noise. Was he still there? Had he left? What the hell do we do now? After a couple minutes of silence we made a decision....we ran like hell up and out of that damn basin.

Final lesson, trust your instincts as for years we agreed to never go into his home again. We should have listened to ourselves.

It took two years before we ever hunted that area again. We both have young families and it really shook me up.

We did come up with a good term for the experience. We call it the " Rocky Mountain Baptism." Because if you do it right you will pee yourself a little bit!

Decker9

WKR
I was sheep hunting with my dad a few years back, each had our own tents. 4:30 am, I’m up crouched outside my tent making a coffee, my pack dog laying beside my feet.

All a sudden my dog was up in a rampage darting behind me, in the split second, I stood and turned to look behind me, just as a young grizzly was on a lope coming right between dad and i’s tents, about 30’ away.

The bear was running with the wind, I don’t think he knew we were even there. If it weren’t for my dog beside me, the bear woulda been right beside me in an other 2-3-4 lopes. But instead, as I turned and looked, the bear was just starting his 180 to retreat from our camp with my dog on its tail ( twice my dogs saved my arse)

Since that day, my rifle comes out of the tent soon as I wake up.

Fast forward 2 years, exact same spot sheep hunting with my gf, this grizzly came roaming into camp. I wonder if it may be the same bear perhaps. Armed with our 6.5x55 and hiking poles, we felt a little under gunned. Luckily my bark was loud enough.

TxxAgg

WKR
I was sheep hunting with my dad a few years back, each had our own tents. 4:30 am, I’m up crouched outside my tent making a coffee, my pack dog laying beside my feet.

All a sudden my dog was up in a rampage darting behind me, in the split second, I stood and turned to look behind me, just as a young grizzly was on a lope coming right between dad and i’s tents, about 30’ away.

The bear was running with the wind, I don’t think he knew we were even there. If it weren’t for my dog beside me, the bear woulda been right beside me in an other 2-3-4 lopes. But instead, as I turned and looked, the bear was just starting his 180 to retreat from our camp with my dog on its tail ( twice my dogs saved my arse)

Fast forward 2 years, exact same spot sheep hunting with my gf, this grizzly came roaming into camp. I wonder if it may be the same bear perhaps. Armed with our 6.5x55 and hiking poles, we felt a little under gunned. Luckily my bark was loud enough.

Do you handload that 6.5x55 or use factory ammo?

Great stories guys.

Loo.wii

WKR

That bear was a little too brave

Decker9

WKR
Do you handload that 6.5x55 or use factory ammo?

Great stories guys.

I hand load 140gr accubonds for it. I have the barrel cut to 19” though so not a lot of speed out of it.

That bear was a little too brave

I thought about firing a warning shot, but chances of reloading and getting on target before it got to us woulda been a big maybe if it decided to charge at the shot.

313421602_185312580675728_6471842708917559819_n.jpg

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Float trip in the Brooks. Pulled up to a moose crossing, buddy halfway out of the raft and all hell broke loose. Looked like the grizz would swipe him off the front of the raft then maybe I could get some lead into him, but it pulled up about five yards short, stood up, barked or grunted at us, turned around and ambled off. Heard from experienced Ak folks that it was no big deal, a “false charge.” Whatever, head about the size of a 55 gal drum opening coming at us 50mph seemed real enough to me. Absolutely would’ve sh!t my pants if it weren’t for all that dehydrated food. Anyhow must have really affected me. That night I woke out of a dead sleep reaching for the shotgun screaming about a grizz in the tent …..buddy next to me was on a rip roaring snore. Glad the shotgun was on his side.

wyosteve

WKR
In '97 I had a moose tag and was hunting an area south of Yellowstone that I was familiar with. First afternoon after setting up camp, took a short hike and on the opposite hillside, about 500 yds. away were 13 grizzlies, all sows with cubs! 4 sows, one set of triplets and 3 sets of twins. I had my camera so got them on video. Anyway, one sow with 2 year old cubs came cruising through he meadow about 75 yards away, but turned and went up a small drainage. Fast forward to next morning, I shot a moose about 100 yards from camp. A friend was with me and while I was caping the head, he was skinning the rear. I kept hearing a kind of grunting sound which I figured was the horses since we were close to camp and thought they smelled the moose. All of a sudden, my friend stood up and said 'there's some bears'! The sow and 2 cubs from the night before had come up to 35 yards behind us and she was doing the grunting/growling! When we both stood up, she took off. Managed to load the moose, camp and got out of there with no problems so she could have the carcass. If she had wanted us, she would have had us!

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago we were elk hunting western Wyoming. It was my Dad, brother and myself. The first night in camp I woke up to a grunting/deep breathing outside the tent. I laid on my cot just listening as it kept getting closer. The other 2 cowboys still very asleep had no idea what was happening. Finally I sat up and loudly said “HEY BEAR”. Startling my dad he burst out of his bag still half asleep runs towards the door of the tent and starts to unzip it. I ask him, what are you doing? He looked at me like I was half nuts and goes back to his cot. My smart aleck brother (his first wall tent hunt) sits up, turn on his light and asks, “what kind of camp you running out here?” Lol. We all kinda laughed, acted like the bear was no big deal and then laid in the darkness till dawn wide awake. After a few days we ran into a local cowboy checking his cattle and he told us a sow and 2 cubs have been in this area all year and to be very alert.

I’ve have run ins with black bears, a lion, deer and coyotes in camp, but this is the only grizz.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah a few stories. Craziest was one spring morning. The sun beginning to rise. 3-4 am. Our chessy was barking danger. I go upstairs and open the door and holler at the dog. Close the door n noticed the problem. A grizzly bear on the back porch 6' away. Eating ice cream.
My beautiful wife worked at the local grocery store n the freezer broke. Free ice cream, the good stuff for once. Freezer full. We had 2 hogs we raised n it was butcher day. So we bagged up the ice cream , set it on the back porch. Needed room for the hogs now so we'd send them off with ice cream n burn the boxes. This bear found them. And was sitting n resting on the railing chilling out shoving to pints down whole one gulp. After 45 minutes of watching it was when he got tired of the dog barking. Rolled forward n down the stairs. I step out with my 300 n the bear hears the door click. Instantly swirls n headed towards me.
I'm ready. But we just bought my beautiful wife a new Grand Am. Don't shoot mamas car. Guess hunter safety 45 years ago paid off n know where you're shooting. I see a little brown eye looking at me lots of brown. He's 3' from the end of my rifle n closing on his ice cream thief.
I shoot, brains n fur fly. Down the steps he goes. I load him up in my truck n drive to town to game office. Biologist says I have to skin it. Nope not mine. They do their thing. The biologist estimated the bear at 5 years, 500 pounds.
I was still hunting moose along a stream full of salmon. Tall grass above my head. I'm breaking trail so it was like swimming through the grass. All of a sudden I step into a little clearing and theis a salmon with a few bites out of it still flopping.
Woooow up n split as easy as I came in. That was a close one. I say a grizzly near there earlier that looked like a beef, huge. Biggest bear I've seen yet.
Was with my beautiful wife just out cruising ak for a few days. We ended up at Lake Louis campground when it was only a name. And 1 outhouse. The ice was just going out and we had a bear circle out tent all night. Next day we bought a chicken to cook. We're north of Fairbanks n find a closed state campground. Perfect. I build a fire n string up the chicken pieces on a wire coat hanger. Didn't take long before we had a grizzly snapping n snorting. Circling us. Amazing how they can stay hidden. Beautiful wife is sitting in the car. I'm enjoying life cooking up a chicken for supper. Beautiful spring evening. Hey I enjoyed myself n left the bones. Win win .
My beautiful wife still gets on me for not wearing a 44, 45. Sidearm while out. And having a cabin I can go hang out in for a couple months in a remote part of AK I am blessed to be able to go for a walkabout any time. My experience has been that the sidearm distracts me. I feel that being in the moment n aware of what's around me is safer. And I enjoy the experience more.
Hope that wasn't too much

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah a few stories. Craziest was one spring morning. The sun beginning to rise. 3-4 am. Our chessy was barking danger. I go upstairs and open the door and holler at the dog. Close the door n noticed the problem. A grizzly bear on the back porch 6' away. Eating ice cream.
My beautiful wife worked at the local grocery store n the freezer broke. Free ice cream, the good stuff for once. Freezer full. We had 2 hogs we raised n it was butcher day. So we bagged up the ice cream , set it on the back porch. Needed room for the hogs now so we'd send them off with ice cream n burn the boxes. This bear found them. And was sitting n resting on the railing chilling out shoving to pints down whole one gulp. After 45 minutes of watching it was when he got tired of the dog barking. Rolled forward n down the stairs. I step out with my 300 n the bear hears the door click. Instantly swirls n headed towards me.
I'm ready. But we just bought my beautiful wife a new Grand Am. Don't shoot mamas car. Guess hunter safety 45 years ago paid off n know where you're shooting. I see a little brown eye looking at me lots of brown. He's 3' from the end of my rifle n closing on his ice cream thief.
I shoot, brains n fur fly. Down the steps he goes. I load him up in my truck n drive to town to game office. Biologist says I have to skin it. Nope not mine. They do their thing. The biologist estimated the bear at 5 years, 500 pounds.
I was still hunting moose along a stream full of salmon. Tall grass above my head. I'm breaking trail so it was like swimming through the grass. All of a sudden I step into a little clearing and theis a salmon with a few bites out of it still flopping.
Woooow up n split as easy as I came in. That was a close one. I say a grizzly near there earlier that looked like a beef, huge. Biggest bear I've seen yet.
Was with my beautiful wife just out cruising ak for a few days. We ended up at Lake Louis campground when it was only a name. And 1 outhouse. The ice was just going out and we had a bear circle out tent all night. Next day we bought a chicken to cook. We're north of Fairbanks n find a closed state campground. Perfect. I build a fire n string up the chicken pieces on a wire coat hanger. Didn't take long before we had a grizzly snapping n snorting. Circling us. Amazing how they can stay hidden. Beautiful wife is sitting in the car. I'm enjoying life cooking up a chicken for supper. Beautiful spring evening. Hey I enjoyed myself n left the bones. Win win .
My beautiful wife still gets on me for not wearing a 44, 45. Sidearm while out. And having a cabin I can go hang out in for a couple months in a remote part of AK I am blessed to be able to go for a walkabout any time. My experience has been that the sidearm distracts me. I feel that being in the moment n aware of what's around me is safer. And I enjoy the experience more.
Hope that wasn't too much
So - is your wife beautiful?

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
So - is your wife beautiful?
She goes out in the middle of nowhere with me . No phones, GPS. Folks might know general direction. And the wheeler, snogo break. I have to look her in the eye n say baby you gotta sit here till I get back. And she still goes out with me