GRITTY - FILM PERMITS - YOUR THOUGHTS?

by that logic of his then I’m sure he never used film views , follows, comments etc to negotiate payment from sponsors then either.
As others have said I’d be happy if all the huckster, influencers making a living hunting were gone

Not sure if factual but he says in the podcast that none of his contracts address his videos. It is all based on the podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A handful of films were in a designated wilderness. Filming without a permit in a wilderness is a special kind of ignorant. Does he or whoever was taking drone footage have a commercial license to film with said drone?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

His comments on drones were that he knows they aren’t legal and any drone or fire footage is shot on private land after the fact and added later to content.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I know I keep adding smoke to the fire but I just listened to a Newberg Podcast and at the very end he touches on the Permit process. To me he was so humble about it. He's like yep you have to pay to play in certain areas and some areas you can't. I just stayed out of those areas or didn't film content. He also brought up the fact that he pays roughly $20,000 a year in permits.

TheTone

WKR
Not sure if factual but he says in the podcast that none of his contracts address his videos. It is all based on the podcast.

Someone still has to have the leaked gritty/mtn ops email where he was wanting money from kifaru that specifically mentioned filming right?

edit: I found it on an old thread, he wanted money for “prime hunting and content season”

Last edited:

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I know I keep adding smoke to the fire but I just listened to a Newberg Podcast and at the very end he touches on the Permit process. To me he was so humble about it. He's like yep you have to pay to play in certain areas and some areas you can't. I just stayed out of those areas or didn't film content. He also brought up the fact that he pays roughly $20,000 a year in permits.
I kinda feel it's a stretch to compare Randy to Brian. Randy has a production company film him, an Amazon deal, etc. Should we compare to two....maybe, but in my humble opinion, they're two different beasts.

i'm out of the loop, stay that way on purpose...

why are Brian's films considered commercial? i have not seen any, but was under the impression they were on youtube, anyone can watch them for free...

maybe they aren't, but if they are, why are his films considered commercial? i don't understand the dynamics of how he gets paid, but i assumed he was paid by sponsors.

do other youtube groups like born and raised need to get permits for what they do? what is the determining factor of commercial vs non if you aren't actually selling the video content?

ewade07

WKR
So why don’t Hushin and Born and Raised and all these other dudes not have to get permits, or are they breaking the law as well?

wapitibob

WKR
Newberg has his own employees film his hunts. It's been several years since he had a production company do the filming.

I suspect both Born and Hushin get permits. Needing permits isn't, nor has it been, a secret.

Last edited:
Newberg has his own employees film his hunts. It's been several years since he had a production company do the filming.

I suspect both Born and Hushin get permits. Needing permits isn't, nor has it been, a secret. Anybody engrained in the business that says they didn't know is full of chit.
I think you may be let down if you think HUSH and BRO get permits.

i'm out of the loop, stay that way on purpose...

why are Brian's films considered commercial? i have not seen any, but was under the impression they were on youtube, anyone can watch them for free...

maybe they aren't, but if they are, why are his films considered commercial? i don't understand the dynamics of how he gets paid, but i assumed he was paid by sponsors.

do other youtube groups like born and raised need to get permits for what they do? what is the determining factor of commercial vs non if you aren't actually selling the video content?
Yes, they all need permits. It's more complicated than selling video content. You need a permit any time you profit in any way from the footage. Be it monetary, sponsor product, or signature product. More views on the youtube equates to more hats and shirts which equates to financial gain.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Yes, they all need permits. It's more complicated than selling video content. You need a permit any time you profit in any way from the footage. Be it monetary, sponsor product, or signature product. More views on the youtube equates to more hats and shirts which equates to financial gain.

You don't need to make a profit to deem it commercial.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Definition straight from BLM website:

Commercial Filming. A permit is required for all commercial filming on public lands. Commercial filming is defined as use of motion picture, videotaping, sound recording, or other moving image or audio recording equipment on public lands that involves the advertisement of a product or service, the creation of a product for sale, or the use of actors, models, sets, or props, but not including activities associated with broadcasts for news programs.​

Bighorner

WKR
A wise man once said you should never feel bad for a man getting a helicopter ride to his hunt in New Zeland.

Last edited:

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Read page 1,2 and 6.
Synopsis:
-Guy is mad he has to pay fees
-People are mad he has to pay fees
-Other people are mad that he's mad about paying fees.
-Some other people are mad that other people hunt where they hunt on public land.

The end.