Great Pyrenees vs. Coyote Pack

Poser

WKR
Apparently, this GP killed 8 coyotes. I’ve never seen or heard of coyotes sticking around for a fight of any kind. You’d think they’d have tuck tail and ran at the first causality. Sure would like to have seen some footage of a “half hour” fight between a GP and a pack of coyotes.

Anyway, you have to give some respect to this particular dog and the breed in general as they seem to have a very keen sense as to what constitutes a threat and who/what is friendly.

bozeman

WKR
Chuck Norris trained this dog........

Honestly though, yes, bloodlines and animal instinct is phenomenal. I once had a neopolitan mastiff charge at me and almost came through a fence...the onwer was screaming the whole time. I would've been dead in a quick second or two......never underestimate an animal...........

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Wow, bad ass pup… my cousin made a poor shot on a whitetail years ago, we left it until the next morning to track and a Pyrenees had eaten the entire deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do they generally kill them? Break their necks? Rip them open? You’d think 8 on 1 they would have nipped a dog into paralysis.
1 on 1, they break their neck or rip out the jugular. 3 on 1, they tear them apart very quickly. Pyrenees do well against the coyotes relatively small jaws and teeth. They're simply to small to deliver major damage given the Pyrenees long, thick coat.

8 coyotes vs 1 Pyrenees? That dog wanted it! If you've never seen a Pyrenees attack something it's hard to describe, but it's generally to the death one way or another.

The dog disappeared for 2 days after the fight. When he came home he was in really bad shape. Apparently vet bills are over $15k, but he's expected to survive. One tough SOB.

TSAMP

WKR
Very interesting. I think instinct plays a big part as said above.

I recall reading a book about a trapper in Alaska that observed particular wolves that would chase and rip the belly of a caribou open, then back off and let the animal run and entangle itself in its own entrails and die.

I imagine this particular dog was of good working stock and instinct kicked in.

Very interesting. I think instinct plays a big part as said above.

I recall reading a book about a trapper in Alaska that observed particular wolves that would chase and rip the belly of a caribou open, then back off and let the animal run and entangle itself in its own entrails and die.

I imagine this particular dog was of good working stock and instinct kicked in.
You're correct. Any LGD will bark and put on a show, but 10% are straight up killers. 10% of the killers also love people.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I've got one... Awesome dog. Probably 3x the size of the coyotes we have around here so not surprised how that story ended.
Mine is more focused on the deer... that she'll never get

As someone who has been around a lot of great dogs and dogs that were used to hunt coyotes, lurchers etc. this story doesn't pass the sniff test. No wounds on or around the muzzle, it’s really only a pup (20 months) and 99% of dogs can’t run down a coyote and a GP definitely isn’t doing it. I want it to be true but it doesn’t add up, most of us know coyotes don’t wait around to fight it out with a dog 3x their size and definitely not 8x

Hard to say at this point. However, when you have a few minutes, do a search for Turkish Kangal on youtube. These dogs are bred for a similar purpose and many are fitted with spiked collars to prevent predators from getting their throats.

"It is a traditional flock guardian dog, kept with flocks of sheep to fend off predators of all sizes, including wolves, bears and jackals.[3] It is thought to have the most powerful bite of all domestic dogs.[4]

Some have been exported to African countries such as Namibia and Kenya[5][6] where they successfully protect local herds from lions, cheetahs and similar indigenous big cats.[7]"

Hard to say at this point. However, when you have a few minutes, do a search for Turkish Kangal on youtube. These dogs are bred for a similar purpose and many are fitted with spiked collars to prevent predators from getting their throats.

"It is a traditional flock guardian dog, kept with flocks of sheep to fend off predators of all sizes, including wolves, bears and jackals.[3] It is thought to have the most powerful bite of all domestic dogs.[4]

Some have been exported to African countries such as Namibia and Kenya[5][6] where they successfully protect local herds from lions, cheetahs and similar indigenous big cats.[7]"
Very familiar with the kangals, CAOs, anotlins, etc and they’re exceptional at what they do in their best form and very capable of killing a coyote. But their first instinct is to bark and ward off intruders and that’s why people regret getting them because they bark all damn night. In this situation the behavior of the coyotes doesn’t add up along with bite marks and injuries.