Pack frame for saddle hunting

If you want to stay smaller-ish, seriously check out the EXO K4 2200... My current setup:

Jdub

FNG
I run a Stone Glacier Solo 3600 with Cruzr platform and Latitude carbon sticks. I’ve went back and forth on how I rig it, but have mostly settled on sandwiching the platform between the sticks and the pack and strapped up tight. No noise and no unwanted movement. I usually walk in with my saddle in the pack and put it on at the base of the tree. So far I’ve been nothing but pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nosajnh

FNG
I am not a pack frame guy however I have heard lots of good things about the EXO K4 from guys who use a pack frame and a saddle.

Carry the sticks and saddle in the load shelf on the way in, and only strap outside if you are carrying meat. Much more snag-free that way.

Also, I personally find sticks or anything that protrudes above my shoulders or wider than shoulders catches on brush and makes carrying a royal pain. Maybe if you are in mostly open hardwoods its not a big deal, but having to duck and weave under tangled brush and low branches for miles its a no-go. For this reason I like a pack that sits very low, and I like to carry shorty sticks horizontally across the small of my back. I find this is both lowest center of gravity so it carries better, as well as being the most snag-free way to carry.

I absolutely never carry more than I have to. Even in extremely cold wx (0f or lower) my full kit including 4 sticks, saddle, platform, kill kit, food, water, heavy insulated clothing, etc is less than 25lb. I use a mystery ranch popup 18l pack, which is admittedly small if carrying the super-bulky whitetail clothes, but see no reason for a 40-ish liter pack, to me thats a multi-day overnight size unless you just like having tons of extra room to cram everything inside in the dark. Picture below is full kit, soup to nuts, including all saddle equipment, a very warm insulated jacket and pants. Ive carried a whole antelope in that pack (ie all one piece, not quartered…long story)—its not going to carry as well as a bigger load-carrying pack, but it’ll carry a quartered deer plus your sticks and platform just fine.

View attachment 580888
I have looked all on Mystery Ranch popup stuff and not found these pack to have a meat shelf so any help in what I am missing on their site is appreciated.

Carry the sticks and saddle in the load shelf on the way in, and only strap outside if you are carrying meat. Much more snag-free that way.

Also, I personally find sticks or anything that protrudes above my shoulders or wider than shoulders catches on brush and makes carrying a royal pain. Maybe if you are in mostly open hardwoods its not a big deal, but having to duck and weave under tangled brush and low branches for miles its a no-go. For this reason I like a pack that sits very low, and I like to carry shorty sticks horizontally across the small of my back. I find this is both lowest center of gravity so it carries better, as well as being the most snag-free way to carry.

I absolutely never carry more than I have to. Even in extremely cold wx (0f or lower) my full kit including 4 sticks, saddle, platform, kill kit, food, water, heavy insulated clothing, etc is less than 25lb. I use a mystery ranch popup 18l pack, which is admittedly small if carrying the super-bulky whitetail clothes, but see no reason for a 40-ish liter pack, to me thats a multi-day overnight size unless you just like having tons of extra room to cram everything inside in the dark. Picture below is full kit, soup to nuts, including all saddle equipment, a very warm insulated jacket and pants. Ive carried a whole antelope in that pack (ie all one piece, not quartered…long story)—its not going to carry as well as a bigger load-carrying pack, but it’ll carry a quartered deer plus your sticks and platform just fine.

View attachment 580888

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve been been using a kuiu 2300 pack. Best one for an all day hunt and a saddle set up. I use it to carry a XOP retrograde, one stick and rappel set up. I use the XOP as a hybrid set up with a rock climbing harness. I even pack my deer out. The pack does everything I need. The pack is the right size for a day hunt. I may even drop to a 1850 if I can find it since I went to all puffy insulation. IMG_0078.jpeg

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
SG sky talus 5900. Can throw platform and saddle in the bag wit. My bibs lunch and pack out anything if I get lucky. Little overkill and may try to grab another bag to put on the frame but for now I’m happy with just using it

Lowg08

WKR
SG sky talus 5900. Can throw platform and saddle in the bag wit. My bibs lunch and pack out anything if I get lucky. Little overkill and may try to grab another bag to put on the frame but for now I’m happy with just using it
I had this exact same set up at first but it proved to be way to much for me. Especially hanging in the tree with me. I ended up leaving it on the ground most of the time. Took up allot of space in the tree. The profile on a 2300 type bag works allot better and a smaller profile in the tree.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I had this exact same set up at first but it proved to be way to much for me. Especially hanging in the tree with me. I ended up leaving it on the ground most of the time. Took up allot of space in the tree. The profile on a 2300 type bag works allot better and a smaller profile in the tree.
Ya ive gotten pretty minimal on what comes up with me in the tree. especially on public but if I bring it up then the bag becomes my knee pad so it basically sits on the platform and i throw strap around it to keep at knee height also doesnt get in way of bow on either side which is main reason why i dont like it up with me

Lowg08

WKR
Ya ive gotten pretty minimal on what comes up with me in the tree. especially on public but if I bring it up then the bag becomes my knee pad so it basically sits on the platform and i throw strap around it to keep at knee height also doesnt get in way of bow on either side which is main reason why i dont like it up with me
That’s a good idea on using it as a knee pad. It amazes me how much trial and error comes with saddle hunting. I went to a hybrid set up so I can sit or stand. Since I had a metal plate in my ankle I need some relief now and then. I hang my bag to act like a little shield for me to lean around if I got to get up and turn around. I been taking a small pad to put between my stand and what ever weapon I’m carrying.

kal1431

FNG
I used the Mystery Ranch Pintler this past season. Fantastic organization on the inside of the pack while in the tree. Enough room on the inside to pack in my First Lite Solitude jacket and bibs, plus my saddle. Ran two sticks on each side of the pack and strapped my platform to the back of the pack. Super easy and quick. Worked great for me.

F1 Mainframe has a lot of configurations to strap stuff to. Also when running a smaller pack with winter layers, I will put them in a light dry bag rolled up and can easily strap to the bottom of any pack. They stay clean and dry and don’t take up room in you main pack

F1 Mainframe has a lot of configurations to strap stuff to. Also when running a smaller pack with winter layers, I will put them in a light dry bag rolled up and can easily strap to the bottom of any pack. They stay clean and dry and don’t take up room in you main pack
I run an F1 mainframe with batwings.....do you have any photos of your setup? Id like to run a Bandit on the mainframe but not sure how it would attach. I like the batwings but not enough compartmentalization for what I need.