Good book suggestion for winter read list

Re: Carmack Mccarthy. I enjoyed The Road and No Country for Old Men but those were a long time ago... tried to read All the Pretty Horses recently and the writing just turned me away.. not real sentences... couldn't get into it after several tries.
Not outdoorsy but just reread Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegat for about the fifth time. What a mindf*^@! Also love everything by Tom Robbins and Christopher Moore if u like TR. Sacre Blue is his masterpiece I believe

OP

WKR
@30338 in a couple weeks I'm hosting a guy's night out in Kansas City...the inspiration for the theme is Jim Bridger. We're going to see 504 Westport Rd which is one of the oldest buildings in KC which Bridger used to own...then check out his statue at Pioneer Park, and then eat at the oldest steakhouse in KC. Hoping to have lots of good Bridger facts at the ready so will check out your book.
Wish I was closer for that. I'd love to see some of that stuff. The book is full of great Bridger info of course.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
maine trapper : stores from one of the last mountain man by walter arnold
Quick read, but neat to see perspective. It's a remote country now, hard to imagine getting by 70 years ago!

3forks

WKR
@30338 in a couple weeks I'm hosting a guy's night out in Kansas City...the inspiration for the theme is Jim Bridger. We're going to see 504 Westport Rd which is one of the oldest buildings in KC which Bridger used to own...then check out his statue at Pioneer Park, and then eat at the oldest steakhouse in KC. Hoping to have lots of good Bridger facts at the ready so will check out your book.
That sounds like a fun time. Hope you guys don’t get hassled for carrying your muskets through town.

TxAgHntr

FNG
Another vote for Endurance.

Also, Killers of the flower moon.

Labyrinth of Ice is on my short list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might find "Hunting the Viet Cong" by Darren Poole interesting for your winter reading list. It offers a unique view of the Vietnam War by following a squad tracking guerrilla fighters in the jungle. My interest in this book grew during my visit to Vietnam, especially thanks to a local guide https://gowithguide.com/vietnam who took me to the Cu Chi Tunnels and Hoa Lo Prison

ODB

WKR
Just curious, do you fellas read mostly physical or ebooks, and if the latter, where do you prefer to get them?

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell - a fascinating read (or listen) about the life of Custer and of course Little Bighorn. It's packed with interesting facts and I think it should probably be required reading for anyone spending time in eastern MT.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, do you fellas read mostly physical or ebooks, and if the latter, where do you prefer to get them?
I do both but prefer ebooks on a kindle. Can read in low light and it's easy to haul around when on the go. I use kindle unlimited or Libby to rent ebooks from the library. Never have bought an ebook. If there is a book I want to own, I buy the physical copy.

Reactions: ODB

Dos XX

WKR
Rise First And Kill

History of Israel's intelligence agencies and assassinations by said agencies.

fwafwow

WKR
Just finished "Jim Bridger" by Jerry Enzler. Very well researched and written book covering Jim Bridger and the American west. Worth a look.
Targeted: Beirut by Jack Carr.

Especially today, the history of how we got involved there, the opportunities we had to leave, and what happened because we stayed, seem very timely. It also makes me question who I used to think highly of, and how few of those people I still view the same way.

IMG_2282.jpeg

I read a ton of books, 50+ a year.

Some recent books I have enjoyed
Rebel with a cause - Franklin Grahm
The Gray Man series by Mark Greaney - a little over the top, but non-stop action
Anything John Grisham, I have read every single book he has written and enjoy them all. Gary Moutan is one of my favorites, coal mining legal thriller.

Macintosh

WKR
If you liked endurance, try “We Die Alone”. Totally different genre, but similar historical non-fiction epic resilience. About some soldiers inserted into occupied western Norway during ww2 who get discovered and need to escape on foot over the mountains to the east during winter.