Good Axis replacement arrow

JStol5

WKR
Having trouble finding 300 spine 5mm axis that are uncut and unfletched. Might switch to Black Eagle or Victory, but leaning towards BE for the price. Anyone have experience with spartans or deep impacts? I like to end up around 470-505 grains with a 125gn head and some more weight in the insert/collar to end up about 150-175gn up front. Would love to hear feedback on these as they're priced similarly to Axis. Thanks.

Zac

WKR
If you want a 5mm then the BE Rampage, or The RIP TKO would be fine. I recently watched an Elkshape video on the RIP and it was very impressive. I use to think their spine line was total garbage, however it seemed to work well. If your willing to go to a .246 there are a ton of good options. Gold Tip Hunter, anything from BE, or even Sirius would work just fine.

Jbxl20

WKR
Lancaster archery is having their customer appreciation sale today, 10% off. Not sure if just in person or online also.

I bought my last 300 spine dozen from nock on. Match grade and comes with the brass inserts

Attachments

• B181853C-C363-429F-8CDB-6182500B9609.jpeg
    B181853C-C363-429F-8CDB-6182500B9609.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 28

HoytHntr4

WKR
Just picked up a dozen 300 RIP TKO’s to try, have always shot 340 Axis, but was on the edge of being too weak. Wanted to go with a 300 axis but total arrow weight was going to be heavier than I really wanted with my set up. The lighter GPI of the TKO’s really gives you some options on playing with weight up front and keeping your total arrow weight where you want it. I ended up with a stiffer spine arrow, running the same weight up front that I was with the axis, with a slightly lighter total set up that’s going a little bit faster

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Leaning towards Rampages or Axis. Rampages with the 55gn outsert and Axis with the 25gn outsert. Running a 125gn head. Any input from people who’ve used both?

Leaning towards Rampages or Axis. Rampages with the 55gn outsert and Axis with the 25gn outsert. Running a 125gn head. Any input from people who’ve used both?
I’ve used and still do Axis and TKOs, tried the rampage, they weren’t in the same league as the other two. Whatever you decide, I’d stay away from outserts and use HITs in either.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I’ve used and still do Axis and TKOs, tried the rampage, they weren’t in the same league as the other two. Whatever you decide, I’d stay away from outserts and use HITs in either.
Agreed, haven’t heard the greatest things about outserts that come with the rampages. Use a HIT and maybe add an impact collar if you want to beef it up

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
It’s an aluminum Easton 25gn halfout* excuse me. I use this with a 125gn head and my TAW is about 502 grains with a four fletch. I’m down to 8 arrows and need to restock so I thought about trying a different 5mm arrow but RIP TKOs are too expensive and the BE seem like a great price for .001 and included components

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Think I decided- going to stick with axis but trade the aluminum 25gn half out for an ironwill 25gn stainless steel impact collar.

Think I decided- going to stick with axis but trade the aluminum 25gn half out for an ironwill 25gn stainless steel impact collar.
FYI Iron Will collars aren't threaded; you'll also need a HIT to have something to screw your points/heads into. If you're trying to keep weight the same, you could use a 15 gr HIT and 10 gr collar.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
FYI Iron Will collars aren't threaded; you'll also need a HIT to have something to screw your points/heads into. If you're trying to keep weight the same, you could use a 15 gr HIT and 10 gr collar.

Any suggestions for a decent HIT collar? I heard the stock axis ones suck.. and if I already have half outs glued in, I can get them out, yeah? Would rather not trash 8 arrows for no reason..

Any suggestions for a decent HIT collar? I heard the stock axis ones suck.. and if I already have half outs glued in, I can get them out, yeah? Would rather not trash 8 arrows for no reason..
I don't think Easton makes a "stock" collar for Axis arrows. The only collars (sometimes referred to as sleeves or footers) I'm aware of are made by Iron Will and Ethics Archery. It's possible to make your own from an aluminum arrow shaft of the appropriate ID, but the DIY route is probably more trouble than it's worth. You don't have to use a collar at all. Some guys choose to use them to reinforce the front end of the arrow shaft; others just use a HIT only and leave the front end of the shaft bare.

If your half-outs were installed with epoxy, I wouldn't count on being able to get them out. You could try the "drill bit trick" (remove nock, insert drill bit slightly smaller than arrow ID, hold arrow upward, swing arrow downward so drill bit slides forward and hits the half-out), but there's a risk (especially with aluminum) of deforming the backside of the half-out and causing a bulge in the arrow shaft if the adhesive bond doesn't break. If they were installed with hot melt (unlikely unless you did it yourself), the half-outs can be easily removed. If you have length to spare, you could consider just cutting the shaft behind the half-out.

Having trouble finding 300 spine 5mm axis that are uncut and unfletched. Might switch to Black Eagle or Victory, but leaning towards BE for the price. Anyone have experience with spartans or deep impacts? I like to end up around 470-505 grains with a 125gn head and some more weight in the insert/collar to end up about 150-175gn up front. Would love to hear feedback on these as they're priced similarly to Axis. Thanks.
I have been using BE X-Impacts for about 2-3yrs. They are fantastic and for me the have been true to weight and specs. I would recommend BE they great arrows.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I don't think Easton makes a "stock" collar for Axis arrows. The only collars (sometimes referred to as sleeves or footers) I'm aware of are made by Iron Will and Ethics Archery. It's possible to make your own from an aluminum arrow shaft of the appropriate ID, but the DIY route is probably more trouble than it's worth. You don't have to use a collar at all. Some guys choose to use them to reinforce the front end of the arrow shaft; others just use a HIT only and leave the front end of the shaft bare.

If your half-outs were installed with epoxy, I wouldn't count on being able to get them out. You could try the "drill bit trick" (remove nock, insert drill bit slightly smaller than arrow ID, hold arrow upward, swing arrow downward so drill bit slides forward and hits the half-out), but there's a risk (especially with aluminum) of deforming the backside of the half-out and causing a bulge in the arrow shaft if the adhesive bond doesn't break. If they were installed with hot melt (unlikely unless you did it yourself), the half-outs can be easily removed. If you have length to spare, you could consider just cutting the shaft behind the half-out.
I meant stock axis HIT inserts, my bad

I meant stock axis HIT inserts, my bad
I don't think there's anything wrong with stock Easton 16 gr aluminum HIT's. The strength of the HIT "system" comes more from the carbon shaft surrounding the HIT than from the HIT itself.

The HIT design is patented, and they're only made by Easton, Iron Will, and Ethics Archery. Easton offers 16 gr aluminum and 50/75 gr brass versions. IW and Ethics have stainless steel versions up to 100-150 gr. I would choose the cheapest option that got me closest to my desired total arrow weight.