Going from Kifaru to Seek Outside

I have an older SO Unaweep 4800 which saw a good bit of use.
A couple years back I felt the need to try a Kifaru, so I bought a duplex frame and muskeg bag. I used that set up on exactly one month and have reached for my Unaweep for every hunter since.

I ran an older EXO bag on the Kifaru frame for a scouting trip and found that setup to work better than the muskeg bag.

I just packed my truck and got on the road this morning headed to the Adirondacks to hunt for a week and yet again grabbed my Unaweep.

sndmn11

WKR
@woods89 changing the frame extensions should only require loosening the shoulder straps and load lifter straps, then loosening or undoing the three straps of the panel that wrap the bottom of the frame.

Then slide the panel up, being careful not to lose the little caps that cover the frame/extensions, and slip the extensions in/out. It might take 5min total.

I don't adjust the torso length.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks!
I believe my DT1 is well over 8 lbs, all kitted up. Might not save quite 4 lbs, but it's not far off, with some of their new integrated designs.
My breakaway SO with 5400 bag is 4.26 and my wifes integrated SO with 6300 bag is 3.65 pounds. That weights include frame extensions, a hip belt pocket, load shelf, and 8 sets of straps. So, if your bag is over 8 pounds, you can certainly loose 4 pounds.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Little update. I have not used this pack nearly as much as I would like. I've got several things outside of hunting going on this fall that are limiting my time a fair bit.

I have liked what I have seen so far. As I stated before, the bag layout is money.

One question I have that arises from hauling sandbags around. Perhaps it's just the size of my sandbags, but I seem to be getting a little barreling at times in between the cross stays, which can contact my back, and keep the pack from pulling in tight. Any tips on dealing with this? I do usually haul bone in quarters so I'd imagine maybe they would bridge the cross stays a little better.

sndmn11

WKR
Little update. I have not used this pack nearly as much as I would like. I've got several things outside of hunting going on this fall that are limiting my time a fair bit.

I have liked what I have seen so far. As I stated before, the bag layout is money.

One question I have that arises from hauling sandbags around. Perhaps it's just the size of my sandbags, but I seem to be getting a little barreling at times in between the cross stays, which can contact my back, and keep the pack from pulling in tight. Any tips on dealing with this? I do usually haul bone in quarters so I'd imagine maybe they would bridge the cross stays a little better.

The cross stays are flattening, or the sand bag is being felt through the gaps in the frame?

sndmn11

WKR
Sandbag is being felt through the gaps. The cross stays are fine.
In the bag or in the load shelf area? If the latter, I'd try within the bag to see if the extra layer of material prevents it.

We use those stiff plastic bags of rock salt and then I gorilla tape them so they don't get a hole and leak. So, the salt within doesn't shift around and it's basically a hard brick.

I haven't experienced what you describe with meat, but have always done bone in.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
In the bag or in the load shelf area? If the latter, I'd try within the bag to see if the extra layer of material prevents it.

We use those stiff plastic bags of rock salt and then I gorilla tape them so they don't get a hole and leak. So, the salt within doesn't shift around and it's basically a hard brick.

I haven't experienced what you describe with meat, but have always done bone in.
Yeah, sandbag is between the bag and the frame on the load shelf. It's a pretty short sandbag, so I can easily imagine with bone in meat it will work better.

Hopefully I get a chance to carry some quarters at some point here. I could see it being an issue with boned out meat, possibly. Like you said, meat in the bag would likely help.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Also, make sure the curve of the frame is sitting in the curve of your back. I had that problem and could not fix it, even with an extra stay, then I dropped the hip belt attachment 1 grommet (so the frame sits lower with the belt in the same location) and it completely fixed my issue.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Also, make sure the curve of the frame is sitting in the curve of your back. I had that problem and could not fix it, even with an extra stay, then I dropped the hip belt attachment 1 grommet (so the frame sits lower with the belt in the same location) and it completely fixed my issue.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I have the hip belt attachment wrapped right now so the frame is in its highest position.

I'll take the weight penalty although i can't see a 3 pound pack standing the test of time as my Kifaru has over and over. The packs are as advertised. Bomb proof!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll take the weight penalty although i can't see a 3 pound pack standing the test of time as my Kifaru has over and over. The packs are as advertised. Bomb proof!
Well good for you. For reference, I got an email from an early pack customer, who bought maybe 2013 .. whenever it was our first year, one of our earliest .. then he emailed that year saying it had carried 11 critters (he lives on kodiak) . I think he likely uses his pack 100 plus days a year. Anyway... he wanted a new one and wanted to know if stuff could move over ..because while his pack still worked fine it was starting to look a little worn. By my calculation, he may have 1000 plus days .. many of them humping heavy loads. So cool, different strokes for different folks .. keep rocking the pack you love.

FYI There can be some stuff going through gaps between cross stays but its usually minimal and mostly depends on loading. Bone in stuff has not been an issue , bonded out , maybe a bit .. depends on how you do it.

Clarktar

WKR
One of the better gear choices I have made was the move from kifaru to S.O. If I didn't live in a rain forest for most my life thus far I might sing a different tune.

Last edited:
Well good for you. For reference, I got an email from an early pack customer, who bought maybe 2013 .. whenever it was our first year, one of our earliest .. then he emailed that year saying it had carried 11 critters (he lives on kodiak) . I think he likely uses his pack 100 plus days a year. Anyway... he wanted a new one and wanted to know if stuff could move over ..because while his pack still worked fine it was starting to look a little worn. By my calculation, he may have 1000 plus days .. many of them humping heavy loads. So cool, different strokes for different folks .. keep rocking the pack you love.

FYI There can be some stuff going through gaps between cross stays but its usually minimal and mostly depends on loading. Bone in stuff has not been an issue , bonded out , maybe a bit .. depends on how you do it.
I've done bone in and bone out since 2013 when i bought my first Kifaru. And packed meat and camp every year whether mine or my hunting buddys or both. The last couple years with both the Tactical and the UL frames with both the original DT1 and the Hoodlum swapped on both frames and honestly cant tell you which combination i like best because they all work great.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I can sew 4 pounds of rocks into that 3 pound pack for you to address your durability concerns.

There is certainly a point where lighter equals less durable. I do not feel my SO packs are at that point. There is also a point where heavier is just a sign of poor design methodology.

I can sew 4 pounds of rocks into that 3 pound pack for you to address your durability concerns.

There is certainly a point where lighter equals less durable. I do not feel my SO packs are at that point. There is also a point where heavier is just a sign of poor design methodology.
I'll still take the weight penalty. I also carry a heavier pad and sleeping bag. My Copper Spur is a little heavier than alot of tents and i take a real pillow in and a camp chair when i go too. Where some guys are carrying 45 or 50 into the backcountry, im probably around 60 or 65. By design. And yet im no more wore out than the guy with a pack thats 3 pounds lighter to start with when packing meat and or camp out. I like it! Although i am not an engineer, the pack design by Kifaru is pretty damn solid. Not sure how you can say there is a design issue? I dont think Kifaru has ever made a claim that their design is meant to be Ultra Light.

Last edited:
OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I'll still take the weight penalty. I also carry a heavier pad and sleeping bag. My Copper Spur is a little heavier than alot of tents and i take a real pillow in and a camp chair when i go too. Where some guys are carrying 45 or 50 into the backcountry, im probably around 60 or 65. By design. And yet im no more wore out than the guy with a pack thats 3 pounds lighter to start with when packing meat and or camp out. I like it!
I'm not trying to convince anyone to get away from anything that they like.

Here's where it's at for me, though.
Seek Outside is-
-3-4 lbs lighter
-waterproof
-bag layout is way better from my standpoint.
-functional meat shelf system
-carry on compatible with frame extensions removed.

I need to pack an animal out with it to make a final determination, but it looks pretty favorable at this point. I don't think durability is an issue, and honestly my Duplex frame has some wear showing where I set it down on the bottom of the frame, so they aren't invincible either.

Clarktar

WKR
I'm not trying to convince anyone to get away from anything that they like.

Here's where it's at for me, though.
Seek Outside is-
-3-4 lbs lighter
-waterproof
-bag layout is way better from my standpoint.
-functional meat shelf system
-carry on compatible with frame extensions removed.

I need to pack an animal out with it to make a final determination, but it looks pretty favorable at this point. I don't think durability is an issue, and honestly my Duplex frame has some wear showing where I set it down on the bottom of the frame, so they aren't invincible either.
They are durable. I have treated mine like most of my equipment, vehicles etc, and that is with zero care. I have pin balled my way through pungy stick second growth, thrown the backpack on sharp shale after a hard climbs, slid down scree slopes that tore my pants and this bag has yet to get a hole. I remember one evening packout where I was certain I turned the bag, and the bear in it, into a kabob on a stout and sharp hemlock branch. I was pretty happy back at the tipi that night when I didn't come across a 2 inch hole!

Few more hunts this year with it so maybe I can break it.... We will see.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Great tip! I think this helped solve the issue.