Going archery elk hunting during muzzleloader week?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Optimistic ML breakdown :
10% hunt only half the allotted time, 20% don't hike further than a mile, 10% can't get shot off in the rain, & 10% oversleep? These leaves you only competing with ~30% of the MLs in the field šŸ˜‚ get out there!
What are the other 20% doing?

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I think it will depend on the unit. My brother and I have went to the same spot the past 4-5 times during muzzle loader season, just because that's how our vacations work out. In all those trips we have run across
1 muzzle loader hunter, and actually not that many archery. Although, we back pack hunt and go quite a ways in, in an area that has no access roads.
I have seen many bulls at 75-100 yds, and thought, "Man it would be nice to have a muzzle loader right now" But, if getting an animal on the ground was the only reason to be in the mountains, I wouldn't be out there with a longbow trying to close the distance to 25 yds or less.

Phaseolus

WKR
Muzzleloader hunters don't bother me because as mentioned most of them don't put in a ton of effort. Muzzie hunters with horses on the other hand...drive me nuts.
In Western Colorado we have a bigger problem with out of state hunters than muzzleloaders. Just go hunt no matter what.

cnelk

WKR
At the bar in town.

This is a great information tool.

Iā€™ve went to a local Mtn town bar about mid-week of ML season, brought some cash and started buying drinks and talking to the obvious ML hunters that were in there.

Amazing what $25 can get you for intel. ;)

Iā€™ll be going during muzzleloader and agree with what others have said just being in the field is a big plus and a great opportunity for anyone. I know pretty much nothing about the muzzleloader season but I believe muzzleloader is open sight only in CO? I am expecting hunters either way but with muzzleloaders in the field Iā€™m more tempted to wear orange. Lastly during 1st rifle Iā€™ve had extreme long range hunters shoot a bull I was stalking so am actually somewhat relieved itā€™s only muzzleloaders now haha.

Phaseolus

WKR
Iā€™ll be going during muzzleloader and agree with what others have said just being in the field is a big plus and a great opportunity for anyone. I know pretty much nothing about the muzzleloader season but I believe muzzleloader is open sight only in CO? I am expecting hunters either way but with muzzleloaders in the field Iā€™m more tempted to wear orange. Lastly during 1st rifle Iā€™ve had extreme long range hunters shoot a bull I was stalking so am actually somewhat relieved itā€™s only muzzleloaders now haha.
In Colorado itā€™s iron sights only, no sabots, no pelletized powder and you have to wear orange.

jayhawk

WKR
Just wear orange and go hunting. The woods can be a little more crowded that week, but it's no different than opening weekend of archery. And if that's your only chance to go then just get out there and get you a biggin!

Tgun46

FNG
Iā€™m a resident and hunted archery my whole life till 3 years ago, need a shoulder replacement and am to young to get one, can no longer draw a bow back. I switched to muzzleloader so I could still enjoy the September woods and have those close encounters. The last two elk Iā€™ve shot with a muzzy have actually been closer than any elk I shot with a bow, 8 yards and 10 yards. I used to cuss muzzy hunters while archery hunting, now Iā€™m one of them. For the most part when I archery hunted I would go first or last week and avoid the muzzy season. Opening weekend of muzzy is busy but seems like the back half of the week a lot of guys have filled out or given up. As an archery hunter and now a muzzy hunter I still think the seasons need to be separated somehow. As most have said, any hunting is better than none if you have to go during muzzy. My max with my muzzy is 100 yards and only with a solid rest, I still hunt like I did with archery and try and get into at least 50 yards.

Slugz

WKR
This is a great information tool.

Iā€™ve went to a local Mtn town bar about mid-week of ML season, brought some cash and started buying drinks and talking to the obvious ML hunters that were in there.

Amazing what $25 can get you for intel. ;)
My son works at Coors and gets more than his fair share of beer. We hand it out at the trailhead to all the flatlanders to help them deal with altitude sickness. Keeps them even closer to their quad or truck. :)

Last edited: