Going archery elk hunting during muzzleloader week?

ColoradoV

WKR
My son works at Coors and gets more than his fare share of beer. We hand it out at the trailhead to all the flatlanders to help them deal with altitude sickness. Keeps them even closer to their quad or truck. :)

Slugz this works even better w eddyline black or “blackout” cans. 10% DIPA at 10k = my man might start crying and reliving childhood memories 😆.. Just like Sam Malone I just drink ice tea and listen..

Moonshine works even better…. On that note a 10 year old home aged and distilled single malt can make the nr muzzy hunter give up on the season all together. How much I have learned about giant bucks sitting around kitchen tables drinking the “big buck” whiskey I put together then age for 8 years is just astounding. Talk about a select vintage! Only a select few guys have a jar of that in the cabinets 👊👍!! I digress.

All joking aside bring orange cap so a non resident does not shoot at ya = as it has been a issue lately..

Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
Sorry I should have clarified I’m doing archery but going during muzzleloader. I don’t know anything about muzzleloader so was curious what the average range is for them.
I hunt elk with a 54 cal caplock or 54 cal flintlock using patched round balls. One has a peep sight and the other open buckhorn style sights. My range limit is 100 yards on both but I can go a bit over on the caplock and like to keep it under on the flintlock. My last two bulls were shot at 70 and 90 yards. I called one in and shot the other that was trailing a herd I was working.

Guys do shoot modern inlines that are Colorado legal and are effective out to 200-300 yards but anyone I’ve run into was shooting 100 yards or less. I see about a 50/50 split on guys hunting with traditional muzzleloaders vs modern.

Guys like me will backpack in, hunt all season, and use still hunting and calling techniques. Wherever possible, I will coordinate with guys using archery equipment in the area so we both have a good hunt and try not to mess each other up. Did it four years ago with a guy packing in to the same area and we both killed bulls in a drainage. For the record, I’m a hunter, not a muzzleloader hunter.

jayhawk

WKR
My son works at Coors and gets more than his fair share of beer. We hand it out at the trailhead to all the flatlanders to help them deal with altitude sickness. Keeps them even closer to their quad or truck. :)
What trailhead will you all be at this year? I'm a flatlander and I get A LOT of altitude sickness.

Sundy

FNG
ML season is when I was able to swing time off this year with work - so it'll be what it'll be. I'm still pretty green to archery elk hunting though, so any field time is better than no time!

Is it even worth it as an archer to go elk hunting during the muzzleloader week in Colorado ? Just curious of your opinion thank you
Don't worry about the guys with a smoke pole, they typically are not a problem. I have hunted during the muzzleloader season several times and have ran in to only 1 hunter. Good luck

You archery hunters better watch out. My boys and I will be headed out on Wednesday next week. Get to hunting while you can, before we come in and clean it out