Goat rifle

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see any problem with your rifle. People say goat are tough but they seem like anything else out there: hit them where it hurts and they drop. Also, I have used bergers on goats- the damage was ridiculous.

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
So I was lucky enough to win a British Columbia mountain goat hunt that will be taking place this spring. I currently have a tikka 6.5 creedmoor loaded with 140 grain Berger vld but the wife gave me the go ahead to get another rifle. Having never been around a mountain goat do you think I should get another rifle for a once in a lifetime hunt or should I just take the 6.5 creedmoor. The other rifle I was looking at was a Christensen arms fft in 300 prc
I run a Kimber mountain ascent 280ai for my mountain hunts. super light, and very accurate with ELD-X 150s of 162s. I have a 7mm-08 Montana which is also cherish in the mountains on black bear

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Another Kimber mountain ascent 280ai with 162gr ELDx. Last years goat 425 yds drt.

Would not bypass the chance for another rifle. Why look a gift horse in the mouth as the saying goes!!!

204guy

WKR
Personally I’d bring the kennetreks as backup boots and find a pair of much lighter super stiff synthetic mountaineering boots that fit well. Then spend all summer trying to break them in.
I used to be as rifle looney as anyone but I think it’s passed. End of the day I could list 100 things more important to worry about than the rifle you already have. Also I’ve seen 3 goats die to 6.5 bullets no drama.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
The Creedmore with the Berger 140 grain will indeed do the job. But, sounds like you WANT another rifle. Need has nothing to do with it. It is want. You have to decide which rifle you have the most confidence. Think weight as each ounce counts in the nosebleed country. Mountain goats can absorb lots of punishment. Bullet placement at extreme angles can be difficult. Practice, practice and practice more at varied angles. THEN, get yourself in the best shape of your life. MTG

Attachments

• C718D9C3-5935-4A18-86F1-58289FDF7B5E.jpeg
    C718D9C3-5935-4A18-86F1-58289FDF7B5E.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 98

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Your 6.5will kill a goat just fine. But I’m the last guy to talk a man out of a new rifle. I killed my first goat with a Tikka t3 in 7-08. It did a great job. So what did I do when I got home? I ordered a NULA in .284 Because everyone loves a new rifle. I’ve since killed two more billies with that rifle. That said you really should make sure your gear is up to snuff before splurging on the rifle.

Jimss

WKR
If given the green light in your position I'd put my hard earned bucks towards a 30 caliber. That way you are set for small to large sized game. I use my 300 WSM for antelope, deer, elk, sheep, mtn goat, moose....the list goes on! I never have a worry about wounding a critter. My son recently bought a Creedmore. It may be pretty accurate but from what I've seen I would definitely hesitate using it on mtn goat, elk, moose, and bear. Take a look at the ballistics of a 6.5 vs the same size bullet 300 WSM and you'll see what I mean.

armedhiker

Lil-Rokslider
I shot mine with a Weatherby Ultra Light in .308 and he didn't go more than 5 yards before tipping over.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
my wife got hers with a 308 rem with some 165g game kings. 1 shot and it moved about 15 feet and was done.

just be careful not to shoot them where they will fall and brake there horns.

You certainly don't need a new rifle. The mighty 6.5 Creedmoor is more than capable. That said, part of the fun of special hunts is the opportunity to build or buy a special rifle. At the minimum, I'd suggest a new carbon fiber stock like others have said. You won't regret it.

JP100

WKR
6.5 will be fine.
But i would change bullets.

Use a better constructed bullet for goats.

Yes Bergers work, but they offer limited penetration. For tough quarting shots, you'd rather have something else.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
6.5 will be fine.
But i would change bullets.

Use a better constructed bullet for goats.

Yes Bergers work, but they offer limited penetration. For tough quarting shots, you'd rather have something else.
What would your goat bullet choice be if you were going to use a 6.5 creedmoor?