GMU ** & ***

Ckenny22

FNG
Howdy Fellas,
Over the last 6 months I’ve been reading a lot of discussions getting ready for my first Colorado elk hunt to GMU **&***. I got a bit disheartened that I read folks saying those units were shot up. However after 1st rifle I’m happy to say there are plenty of elk. I quickly realized the people saying that are either not glassing at the right elevations or are not willing to go get those elk at 13k+ elevation. There were elk everywhere. One guy in our party downed a 5x5 at 680 yards. And the rest of us had chances but couldn’t make the stars align. I underestimated a couple things in my preparation. Distance shooting and physical preparation. I ran a lot but should have been running harder up hill. And I should have been stretching my .300 out at the range to be prepared for a 750 yard shot. Some folks say you shouldn’t do that, whatever. I agree if you’re not comfortable. But if you have good glass, good boots, excellent physical stamina, and the ability to take distance shots, you can still be very successful in those GMUs. And we glassed multiple 300+” bulls. No guides. Just went with some friends that grew up elk hunting.

Congratulations on your elk hunt.
Just a reminder here at Rokslide we try to avoid posting unit numbers as they can make a impact on hunter pressure in those areas.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That ain’t no joke, ruins areas quick, some guys see 1 300”+ bull come out and suddenly every hunter thinks they are around every tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Ckenny22

FNG
Congratulations on your elk hunt.
Just a reminder here at Rokslide we try to avoid posting unit numbers as they can make a impact on hunter pressure in those areas.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Noted and understood. Thanks.
Why not work on your woodsmanship and learn how to get a little closer?
I have a very limited scope because I have only hunted in this location which was some of the most aggressive sawtooth mountains in Colorado. Absolutely be 12,000 feet there are no woods. So my point is people probably hunt them different in different locations but where I was at, with the little amount of snow there was available you were not sneaking up on the elk where they were at.

OP
C

Ckenny22

FNG
Noted and understood. Thanks.

I have a very limited scope because I have only hunted in this location which was some of the most aggressive sawtooth mountains in Colorado. Absolutely be 12,000 feet there are no woods. So my point is people probably hunt them different in different locations but where I was at, with the little amount of snow there was available you were not sneaking up on the elk where they were at.
*above 12,000 ft

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
No sure why you think super long distance shots are necessary. You know bowhunters and muzzleloaders are getting it done, as are lots of rifle hunters. Just a bit of stealth, common sense and physical conditioning is needed.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Me and a buddy were in our favorite spot (unit **) and had another great hunt. I think alot of people dont put in the work to be successful or they just suck at hunting and complain about no elk or over crowding.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Ckenny22

FNG
Me and a buddy were in our favorite spot (unit 53) and had another great hunt. I think alot of people dont put in the work to be successful or they just suck at hunting and complain about no elk or over crowding.
Agreed. I mean I’m from Georgia so the hunting, even in the “mountains” is much different. It took me about 3 days to really get my red blood cell count up (we were camped at 11,500). But once I got my pace I was good. If you want to get after them you have to be ready for the suck, no doubt. Atleast where I was, a half mile could be easily be 1000 very. Hard to prepare for that in Ga. Toughest animal I’ve ever hunted. My buddy mentioned to me as we were blazing a trail up a cullar dying, that they were actually a plains animal. Could have fooled me for sure.

OP
C

Ckenny22

FNG
No sure why you think super long distance shots are necessary. You know bowhunters and muzzleloaders are getting it done, as are lots of rifle hunters. Just a bit of stealth, common sense and physical conditioning is needed.
You right, not 100% necessary, but absolutely 100% useful. I mean the target is obviously to get in to as good of a position as possible and never make an unethical shot. I don’t really see 750 as a super long distance to be honest, but to each their own. 600 is a comfortable shot for me. I was hunting with some guys that consistently shoot elk their whole lives, who if forced were ready to take that shot through preparation and attention to their craft. Same as a lot of bow hunters do. I find nothing wrong with being prepared to have another tool in the tool box. It’s purely repetition, good variable consideration, and solid ballistic understanding.
Also bow hunters are also hunting a rutting elk, so kind of different. Not t saying it’s east but there are no elk in October yelling hey I’m over here.

The Guide

WKR
You right, not 100% necessary, but absolutely 100% useful. I mean the target is obviously to get in to as good of a position as possible and never make an unethical shot. I don’t really see 750 as a super long distance to be honest, but to each their own. 600 is a comfortable shot for me. I was hunting with some guys that consistently shoot elk their whole lives, who if forced were ready to take that shot through preparation and attention to their craft. Same as a lot of bow hunters do. I find nothing wrong with being prepared to have another tool in the tool box. It’s purely repetition, good variable consideration, and solid ballistic understanding.
Also bow hunters are also hunting a rutting elk, so kind of different. Not t saying it’s east but there are no elk in October yelling hey I’m over here.
Just ignore that guy. He's busting on you for no good reason. Glad you got out and had a good experience and learned what you need to train on for next trip. Those of us who hunt at or above the treeline understand the situation you were in and the need for the ability to shoot from 80 to 880 yards. The more you train for those long shots, the more you will get shots at much closer distances.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Read the forum rules to get an idea on how things work. Good luck on your future hunts.

Jay

The Guide

WKR
Ya, I don’t know about that.

FNG all of 4 months on RS, blasting unit numbers and bulls/elk everywhere, then moves on to the need for nearly half mile shots….

Made my skin crawl.
The unit number thing is on him. I don't spot burn. I won't even tell you what boat I catch fish on when I go offshore fishing.

I've only been on RS for 2 months and I've been shooting elk at 800+ yards for 10 plus years. When I first came here I had no clue about the decorum on posting. Instead of smack talking someone, educate them. If they ignore the education, by all means, dog pile them.

Jay