Gluten free backpacking.

grfox92

WKR
I hate to admit it. I ruthlessly made fun of the gluten free fad for years. Maybe it's Karma, but I have serious issues with wheat now. The doctor agrees, I should not eat it, and the gastrointestinal issues I get from it makes me agree.

With season quickly approaching I need some more ideas for some in the field meals.

I'm hip to the instant mashed potatoes. Gluten free Ramen. Instant rice. I'll add tuna packets, smoked oysters, sardines or herring to those for a complete meal.

Gluten free bagels with peanut butter or tuna. Oatmeal for breakfast. Nut and seed granola bars that are wheat free.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a wheat issue so just curious to see what other guys are eating on the mountain. I don't eat pre packaged backpacking food typically and in the past ha e put together my own meals.

Thanks in advance for any new ideas.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I do organic instant Oatmeal in the mountains.

I've been toying with the idea I'd dehydrating eggs, but everything I find is talking about dehydrating raw eggs. Not sure why you can't to cooked eggs, but dehydrated bacon and eggs and potatoes on a gluten free wrap sounds like a great meal.

I hate to admit it. I ruthlessly made fun of the gluten free fad for years. Maybe it's Karma, but I have serious issues with wheat now. The doctor agrees, I should not eat it, and the gastrointestinal issues I get from it makes me agree.

With season quickly approaching I need some more ideas for some in the field meals.

I'm hip to the instant mashed potatoes. Gluten free Ramen. Instant rice. I'll add tuna packets, smoked oysters, sardines or herring to those for a complete meal.

Gluten free bagels with peanut butter or tuna. Oatmeal for breakfast. Nut and seed granola bars that are wheat free.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a wheat issue so just curious to see what other guys are eating on the mountain. I don't eat pre packaged backpacking food typically and in the past ha e put together my own meals.

almond crackers

sndmn11

WKR
I have celiac and found out in 2016.

Peak, Heathers Choice have been good to me, I just got some stuff from gastrognome. I think nine mile has a good selection as well.

Corn tortillas
LABELED gluten free nature's path oatmeal and Quaker oatmeal.
Probars, Luna bars, honey stinger have some stuff.
Annie's, Kraft, and daiya have good Mac cheese
Watch out for rice mixes, a lot aren't gfree. Watch out for sauces. Watch out for seasonings. I won't eat anything that isn't labeled gfree, and going out to eat is risky.

I am exponentially healthier since I learned of my disease. The downside is that now if I accidentally have something with gluten, it smashes me for about two days with flu like symptoms and water sharts.

bbell

WKR
Sorry man. My wife and one of my daughters are celiac. It’s hard. But look at it as a way to clean up your diet and eat less processed stuff.

Also oats contain a protein that mimics gluten. My wife can’t have oats at all. Even gluten free oats. My wife always had stomach issues then they realized she was celiac. After going gluten free she felt way better. But then realized how sensitive she actually was when she got cross contaminated. So be ready for that.

I don’t have to eat gluten free but have benefited from it for sure. Nothing wrong with meat and veggies!

Arctichc

FNG
I have celiac and found out in 2016.

Peak, Heathers Choice have been good to me, I just got some stuff from gastrognome. I think nine mile has a good selection as well.

Corn tortillas
LABELED gluten free nature's path oatmeal and Quaker oatmeal.
Probars, Luna bars, honey stinger have some stuff.
Annie's, Kraft, and daiya have good Mac cheese
Watch out for rice mixes, a lot aren't gfree. Watch out for sauces. Watch out for seasonings. I won't eat anything that isn't labeled gfree, and going out to eat is risky.

I am exponentially healthier since I learned of my disease. The downside is that now if I accidentally have something with gluten, it smashes me for about two days with flu like symptoms and water sharts.
My son was diagnosed with Celiac 21 years ago. GF has been a way of life for our family ever since. For the most part I eat GF now at age 52 just because it makes me feel better. It can be a PITA to deal with but the truth is its better than those with colitis. Good info btw, my son goes throught the same thing if he eats contaminated stuff.

Arctichc

FNG

To some degree I feel your pain. My son was diagnosed with Celiac 21 years ago when he was 1. At that time GF food was almost non existent. We were devastated and overwhelmed but thankful it wasn't worse. Then replies on here are pretty good. My son has done his research now and really does well with his diet on our hunts. Thank goodness GF is much more common and easier to find those foods without breaking the bank. We ate a lot of nuts and jerky as well as PBJ on GF bread. Hard boiled eggs are easy. If you have a Jetboil with you GF Ramen noodles and a packet of StarKist tuna or chicken packet mixed in is really good. Lots of flavors to choose from and easy to pack protein with calories.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I too feel your pain. Sams Choice 5 grain gluten free bread is the best I have found. Ronzoni pasta is honestly as good as the gluten pasta. Best frozen pizza comes from Aldi. My wife and I are also low carb and love it. My wife has some gut issues if she eats gluten, I stopped eating it when she did for simplicity's sake (make one meal vs two) and have found over the past three years all my prostate issues, rosacea and fever blisters are completly gone. Just because you don't get immediate gut issues doesn't mean it is not affecting you. I think A LOT more people should ditch that stuff than realize it............................I just avoid wheat and barley, but eat many things that are not labeled GF.

I did 29 days in Colorado - 9 days backpacked in and the other days hunting from a camper. No big deal - granola bars or PBJ for breakfast, tuna packets and GF crackers for lunch, and dehydrated meal or canned chili/stes for supper. I normally skip breakfast to keep a 14-16 hour fasting period, but when hunting hard I need as many calories as possible and do eat breakfast.

ONDERS.CH

FNG

Unfortunately did the same thing and I miss eating Gluten haha.... even more when backpacking

ElMuercielago

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately for us, Celiac runs quite strong in the family. Been GF since far before I started going out in the backcountry. Some favorites for me are:
  • Canned fish/seafood.
  • nuts/dried berries/jerky mix.
  • Dehyd meals mixed with 'wet' packs of indian-inspired bean pouches I get from Trader Joes (dals/curries/Jaipur/etc). Gives the dehyd meals a nice boost of real food that bring overall price way down and balance out nutritional profile. Also like to add the canned fish to this. Seems to work a lot better with my gut than if I just have the dehyd straight.
  • Fruits. I'm willing to take to weight penalty at the beginning, especially since you can just toss them in the woods once they are done.
  • Protein/meal bars.
  • Hydration/nutrient mixes for water. Can't remember which ones I use off the top of my head but this definitely help to push harder as the days go on.
I can carry enough food for about 2 weeks while staying below an entire pack weight of 45lbs

kthomas

FNG
My wife has an allergy to a specific wheat protein, so she eats gluten free. She's really active, including hikes, and whenever we go together we only bring GF foods.

Some items to consider:

- Oats for breakfast
- Snacks such as stinger waffles (they make a GF version), Clif Energy Bloks, GreenBelly meal bars
- Trail mixes - though be very conscious of what's in your trail mix, as not all are gluten free if you are buying pre-mixed/packaged versions
- Rice crackers - almond thins are awesome! Can be paired with meats and cheese
- If you like preparing your own meals, homemade DH chili would be easy. Also sandwiches that are GF if that's your thing

Lot's of options. I'm not GF at all, but essentially eat GF because of my wife.

kthomas

FNG
Dehydrated fruits and meats (such as beef or deer jerky) would be easy to do as well if you have a dehydrator

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
What I've been eating this year.....

Oatmeal.
Rice Ramen
Canned Fish
Granola Bars
Idaho Instant Mashed potatoes.

Back at camp, cheeseburgers with gluten free buns, baked beans and potato chips and a couple of Double Stuffed Gluten Free Oreos, which are fantastic may I add.

Walmart sells Ready wise backpacking meals and has a chicken and rice meal that doesn't contain wheat. I haven't tried one yet only because I've been happy with my current meals and Ramen and a can of fish comes in at about $3.50.

OP: Here's an article I put together on the topic. At the bottom you'll find a sample meal plan. Feel free to send me a message if I can help answer more questions. More than happy to!

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I eat green belly bars quite a bit
I also enjoy sausage or some type with cheese on some type of cracker that is GF. Since I started eating gluten free, I noticed a significant drop in the amount of TUMS I was eating. I also noticed that I slept a lot better. I think the sleep thing was that I wasnt getting up at night with heart burn. I struggled switching but it was worth it in the long run.