Gloves!

snowplow

WKR
Hey guys, I dont typically wear gloves. I'm in the Pacific NW so I dont usually bother because they just get soaked. I dont really plan on hunting in them much if ever, but I do like the idea of warming my hands up at camp or when I sit to take a break. I dont think I want superdown mitts because I'd like to use them around camp when I take care of the fire etc.

I ran across the sitka downpour gtx and was really impressed by them. I was also wondering about the Kuiu Northstar gloves. I like the grizzly mitts too but leaning towards the others more.

Do any of you have experience with these? Very interested in the Northstars.

TheCougar

WKR
I went with Kast Steelhead gloves. Same membrane as kuiu uses. They are fly fishing gloves, so they are very waterproof and they have some dexterity and feel to them. They only have a thin fleece layer for insulation, so I wear a kuiu wool liner glove to add some warmth. No experience with the kuiu glove though, sorry.

Derek0525

WKR
I can tell you from first hand experience the kuiu glove fabric is not very fire friendly it melts easily I was loading my stove and and accidently touched the door when opening it and melted a hole in them. If your going to use them for around camp work I would buy a pair of white ox gloves or some cheap wool gloves and buy some hot hands cheap and warm your hands fast I always carry a
couple in my pack. In my opinion the kuiu gloves are not very durable my guide gloves are thrashed from just wearing them hunting the leather they use for the palms isn't that great either.

I got some sealskinz gloves last fall for late archery elk. Dragon Eye is the model. Might be a little stiff but they seemed warm and waterproof and not bulky. I was mainly looking to keep my hands dry.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Thanks guys. Im ruling out the kuius then. I hear good things about the grizzlys. But they seem like a little much for what l need. Hopefully someone chimes in that has used the sitkas.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The north stars are a great mid season waterproof glove ,but as noted they will melt as not designed to be around fire👍

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't plan to use them much/only sparingly... I would forget either and save yourself a ton of money. I personally use a fleece or rag wool fingerless/convertible mitten. I then have a shell mitten to go over them if need be. Fleece ones are like $20, rag wool ones about $12.

I find my hands stay warmer in fleece fingerless/convertible mittens than most any other insulated glove. I personally use the simms exstream ones simple because they are dwr treated and do a better job of shedding water. Got them on sale for $35 with a cabelas coupon

I keep a pair of just fingerless rag wool gloves as a spare set, and for use around the fire.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got some sealskinz gloves last fall for late archery elk. Dragon Eye is the model. Might be a little stiff but they seemed warm and waterproof and not bulky. I was mainly looking to keep my hands dry.

Which model and do they breath okay?

As noted in some other threads I've been thinking about the Yukon pro but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also looked up the above noted kast gloves which also seem nice.

Which model and do they breath okay?

As noted in some other threads I've been thinking about the Yukon pro but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also looked up the above noted kast gloves which also seem nice.

Dragon Eye is the model I got. The Ultra Grip model might also be a good option. Can't speak to brethability since I used them in cold weather and didn't work up a sweat, specially in the hands.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
They kind of remind me of the hardware store atlas thermal gloves (the gray ones). I love those and they are warm. They are an awesome cheap option for a camp glove fyi.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ended up with a pair of mountain hardwear plasmic (the newer ones) using outdry. They were onsale plus I had a coupon so I got them very affordably. 3.2oz and holding my hands in water for a few minutes seemed to perform so far. I think they'll cover the niche I wanted which is 30-50deg wet weather.

43B18D2A-359C-4BBF-BB43-DA20F2ABD2BC_zps7fdyel3r.jpg