Gloves for the extreme cold

I’m curious what everyone’s glove setup is for the 10 below and colder temperatures. I have found that my hands stay the warmest wearing a pair of cheapo wool gloves, but am looking for suggestions on gloves that are good for work wear and flexibility when out in the cold.

It was -38 the other morning and even though I was comfortable working outside, I know if I want to go see some country up north in the next month or two, I need to invest in a better setup.

I know the hunting brands probably have gloves and stuff, but in reality I can’t afford any gloves over $80 so looking for a non hunting brand of anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!

kpk

WKR
Kinco Icebreakers are pretty warm and you still have dexterity. Otherwise the leather ones are also very good for how cheap they are. The mittens would be another step up for warmth (especially if you put a hot hand in there). Kincos can be had just about anywhere.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it's below 0, I'm most likely wearing mitts- much warmer than gloves; I keep a thin glove liner on so if I need to something that takes some dexterity

you can get deer or elk skin mitts with wool liners pretty reasonably, add a thin glove liner and done

MT_Wyatt

WKR
My hands get CRAZY cold easy - started carrying the first lite brooks down mitts for days like this, used my ski lobster mitts for really cold days before this. Still trying to find a good leather over mitt, but they really bring the heat for your fingers. I can wear wool liner gloves under them and pop them on/off really quick when needed. Has been a real upgrade for mornings < 20F.

thejones

WKR
For real cold days, the only way to go is mitts. If you like your wool gloves, then pick up some "chopper" leather mitts to go over those. Here is one example

Outdoor Research makes excellent Goretex mitts also, if you want more tech style.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I know you mentioned a $80 budget but for another $20, these are money mitts. They are used by polar exploration teams and dog sledders.

1638281879848.png

New to me this season…

I bought a pair of Nixwax Coated Leather chopper mitts. I coupled these with a pair of Sitka merino liners. They’re big enough I could wear a pair of rag wool liners too.

Haven’t had in extreme weather, but I’ve been pleased so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezwy

FNG
I like the kincos. That or a liner glove and a mitt seem to work best. I think I’ll try a leather mitt next.

Poser

WKR
Ok a budget, can’t beat Kincos. In fact, you can pick up a pair of the gloves and mitts for $60 total.

Reactions: Sky

tdot

WKR
Another vote for a big mitt with a liner glove. I prefer a polartec liner now, something with a lightly textured palm and finger tips. Nothing too crazy or it won't slide into the mitt easily.

My other requirement is a large gauntlet. Makes it easier to have a bullet proof connection between your jacket sleeve and glove and allows for more movement.

I'm not sure on those Kinko's below zero. I've never found them that warm. Are some models more insulated then others?

Shraggs

WKR
I stick with wool gloves. Tried so many but in the end I appreciate dexterity if a thinner glove. Always carry the merino liner that can use under; rag wool fingerless, full wool with grip texture, wool with 50 gram thinsulate (definitely good to single digits.

I keep a thin lite REI mittens for added warmth or rain. If I needed more I would agree a chopper over the wool.

I know the hunting brands probably have gloves and stuff, but in reality I can’t afford any gloves over $80 so looking for a non hunting brand of anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!
I'm sure someone else has mentioned this somewhere on here but here's my two "life hacks" for frozen hands:

First, latex/nitrile gloves as a base layer cut the wind A LOT and trap warmth in your hands, but (if tight) they don't create a dexterity problem. I am always amazed what a difference latex gloves make when I'm in heavy cold wind even when I just have regular wool or light fleece gloves, and these are can be found for cheap.

Second, tape/stick/wedge/wrap hand warmer packets on the inside of my wrist (inside elbows and back of knees also if in extreme cold and not moving much). I cut the wrist cuffs off an old pair of neoprene diving gloves and it holds it tight against wrist, warming the blood as it travels to my finger tips. This also allows for much thinner (and/or cheaper) gloves with more dexterity.

Doing both of these things I can wear the mid-weight camo Mechanix gloves in relatively strong wind around 15-20 degrees and still do things with my hands without numbness or losing dexterity. It's definitely not comfortable, but it's tolerable without being distracting and I hate fumbling with fat-fingered glove/mitten fleece blobs.
Hope this helps.

Sky

FNG
I use my ski lobster mitts or leather black diamond mitts for really cold days, but I hear Kincos is a good bet too.

I use a thin pair of liners with leather mits. The mits were from Scheels for $25-$30. I was just out all night in -10 and my fingers never got cold. Last year the coldest was low negative 30’s. This setup is used for low activity hunting.

If working in the cold I use a thin liner, latex over that, and a normal cotton glove over that. That has been the best for me when working in the cold when I need to use my hands.

I just bought some military surplus gauntlet mitts, i think they were from the swiss military, and they have a trigger finger to utilize as well. look for something like that! they work good.

eoperator

WKR
Good ol kinco's for me give them a spray of silicon or waterproofing often and they stay pretty dry. They are cheap enough to just buy new each year and retire older ones for work. If it's very cold or windy thumb holes on your base layer and/or mid layer with overlaping cuffs help alot.