Glock 29 or 40?

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I will see if I can find them in stock anywhere and give each a heft and see which I like better. I’ll also check out the M&P

Just double checked Iowa handgun regs for deer hunting and barrel must be minimum of 4”. Unfortunately that disqualifies the 29 unless I went aftermarket barrel.

Last edited:

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Handgun velocity is highly related to barrel length. I run a G20 with a 6” barrel. Combined with high meplat bullets, it should help with better wound channels and better penetration. Something to consider.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't shot the 29 or 20 but I have the 40 and like it a lot. Kick isn't too bad, option to add a red dot without too much work when I'm ready, and its lighter than the 20 (not much, 4oz but still lighter). I will say finding 10mm ammo can be a pain in stores though.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't shot the 29 or 20 but I have the 40 and like it a lot. Kick isn't too bad, option to add a red dot without too much work when I'm ready, and its lighter than the 20 (not much, 4oz but still lighter). I will say finding 10mm ammo can be a pain in stores though.
Pretty much my experience as well.

I keep an eye on web sites, and I have been fortunate to find ammo every so often.

rbljack

WKR
I went with the G29 for my backcountry carry option. Wanted the lighter weight option. Its strictly used for defensive carry, and not as a hunting weapon, so longer range accuracy isn't an issue. Works nice on a Kydex holster on my Kifaru Duplex frame with reckoning bag.

I'm researching 10mm autos for bear defense. I already have a couple wheel guns in .357 and .44 mag. For those of you with experience with the 29 and 40, which do you like better? Obviously they are vastly different in size with 3.8" vs 6" barrels respectively. However, my aging eyes like the idea of the G40 gen 4 with MOS (red dot). However, I understand the longer and heavier 40 may not be the fastest handling in a SHT situation.

Thoughts?
Take this with a grain of salt as I’ve never handled/carried the 20 or 40 but I like my 29 a lot. Got the x-grip and extended mag for better grip. Also got the kkm 4.5 inch barrel for it. (Better velocity right? 😂)

That set up gives you a lot of flexibility. Keep it stock for concealed carry. Throw the x-grip/extended mag on when in the back country. Do whatever floats your boat but it’s nice to have options.

Attachments

• FC99EFD6-0F49-4742-BD09-2414356BF984.jpeg
    FC99EFD6-0F49-4742-BD09-2414356BF984.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thx again for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it. Regarding ammo I plan to reload to reduce cost. Reloading pistol ammo is pretty simple and economical compared to the price in the shelf.

I like the idea of customizing a 20 or 29 to reduce weight some balance the 40. I have a note out to a local smith around what he would charge to mill the slide.

Flyrodr

FNG
From my perspective (older, lots of eyesight correction, multiuser considerations - - - hunting, self defense, carrying, etc.), these thoughts:

If you're going to add a red dot, consider one of the newer closed emitter ones. A drop of rain on an open emitter (RMR/SRO/DeltaPoint/etc), and you're out of business. (With my eyes, I've used dots for years. Love 'em, even with the issues they sometimes present (well documented, but, for the better dots, becoming less frequent)

The longer sight radius of the G40 is a non-issue if using a dot. Thus the G40 just becomes larger and heavier.

The G29, or at least some of them for some people, have experienced feeding issues with some loads. Experimenting with different weight recoil springs can usually address the issue, but it's one not typically seen in the G20 or G40.

The G20 SEEMS to not have these issues, other than needing milling for a red dot. Which, to me, is worth the time/cost.

Or . . . compare the ballistics of .40 and 10mm in pistol-length barrels.

Here’s my thoughts have all three, used all three and only having two now. I kept the 29 and 40. I have the extended mag and barrel for the 29 if I want to simulate the 20. The 40 shoots faster for me and I can shoot 15 accurately faster and better with the 40 than the other two. I would prefer to have faster and easier follow up shots which is why I kept the 40. I carry the 29 edc and when not in grizz country.

If for grizz protection, I want every advantage and faster follow up shots, factory red dot option under stress are positives advantages. The time to draw is negligible and has been proven for all the guys running long slides in competition shooting.

Just my thoughts.

I like my 20sf,just got it back after finger groove removel and stippling.Its a happy medium.

Attachments

• 68F99865-0B2F-4792-9647-BB0833AD37B6.jpeg
    68F99865-0B2F-4792-9647-BB0833AD37B6.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 795B6FB8-5CE2-4618-8142-E5A93DAAAE5A.jpeg
    795B6FB8-5CE2-4618-8142-E5A93DAAAE5A.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 39
I spent a 3 year tour of duty in Kodiak. I carried a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum with a 5.5 inch barrel when I wasn't carrying a rifle. Last year I bought my first Glock. A model 40. Anyone who calls that gun a pig has never carried a big revolver. The 40 is far superior in terms of carry comfort.

I shot the 40 with the factory sights and fell in love with it. I have never handled a handgun that felt like a more natural extension of my body. I am pretty average with a handgun, but was pretty good with the 40. The 40 is far superior to the Ruger in my ability to put rounds on target quickly.

Then I put a Burris FF3 on it. At this point I am not in love with this set-up. I do need to give it more time.

Find a place to get your hands on them. Rent them if you can. Go with the one that feels most natural to you.

I have all three Glock 10’s. Like em all 🤣 however I gravitate to the 29 when lots of elevation is at stake. Smaller footprint on my chest. Night sights and grip extension are necessary additions in my opinion.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had the 20 & 29. They were both heavy to me in the back country. Ive since switched to a g19. I know its not as much power, but the grip is a lot more comfortable for me and in a panic situation Im sure id be much more accurate shooting a 9+p vs the 10mm. Just my opinion..

I have the G40 with a vortex red dot that I carry anytime I'm in the woods, I can't speak to its effectiveness on bear...but it will do the job on whitetail and plenty of hogs. I carry it in a Guides Choice chest rig and its super comfortable. This guy presented me with a perfect 35 yard broadside shot. With the vortex I can put all 15 shots inside a paper plate at 50 yards.
1655129299673.png

rsiros

FNG
At a minimum, you should handle the 20, 29, and 40 in person, and if possible, shoot them at a range or shop that rents them and see which on fits best.