Glock 29 or 40?

@Where's Bruce? Are you using factory hexagonal rifled barrel or did you buy aftermarket to shoot hard cast?

How is your trigger pull? This was the one complaint in the Chuck Hawk's review even after swapping for the target connector. Pull was still 6.5 pounds.

Originally my test shots were using the stock barrel but I have switched to KKM Precision Match barrels on all the autos on my CCW permit. Can't say I see a difference in my groups during pressure drills yet. Stock triggers suit me probably because I'm just used to em over the years. They are 5.5lbs and I particularly like the Glock's double tap capability. I use a foam board behind my target at the indoor range and have someone press the switch so I can practice two round bursts at an oncoming target. The foam board is there just to prevent the paper target from flying in the wind. I do this with all my SD firearms...drawing from a holster (when I get to the range early enough when this is allowed). My G22s can be drawn and accurately fired in 1.8 seconds on average, my G40 in 1.9. The additional 4.37ozs of the G40 over the G20 doesn't make much difference...I wouldn't call the G40 a brick. it is a full sized sidearm but like i said, I'm a big guy sooo...

I've shot Magtech, Underwood, G9 & Buffalo Bore through it with no trouble. I prefer the Underwood & G9 and think the Buffalo Bore ammo is just overpriced and over-hyped. I like BB for rifles but not sidearms. I believe accuracy is everything...hitting the CNS of a charging bear is vital so shoot the gun/ammo you are most accurate with. I am far more accurate with the G40 than I ever was with the .44mag revolver and have ten more rounds which means (if it's an option) I can commence firing from a greater distance instead of waiting for the bear to get close enough to hit with the 329PD. My range with the 10mm is more than double that of the .44mag.

Regarding the ability to shoot 100 yards...that's horseshit unless you have a stable rest and unmoving target. In reality the bear isn't gonna pose and wait for you to settle in on a rest or shooting stick. It'll be draw and discharge. I'm not hunting with my pistol, I shoot a bow.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The g40 is a big huge fat piece of ass. It’s a real monstrosity. I’d take a 20 or a 29 any day for anything unless o was a target shooter or something.

I know a guy with a g40 with one of those sights on it, it’s ridiculous for a woods gun.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a 29 most days for work with the mag extension. The 20 ain't bad either but the lighter weight and more compact design is better for every day use if you ask me. If you're using it for griz defense like me your not going to be shooting past 20yds. Unless you are trying to get ahead of the problem😆

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Originally my test shots were using the stock barrel but I have switched to KKM Precision Match barrels on all the autos on my CCW permit. Can't say I see a difference in my groups during pressure drills yet. Stock triggers suit me probably because I'm just used to em over the years. They are 5.5lbs and I particularly like the Glock's double tap capability. I use a foam board behind my target at the indoor range and have someone press the switch so I can practice two round bursts at an oncoming target. The foam board is there just to prevent the paper target from flying in the wind. I do this with all my SD firearms...drawing from a holster (when I get to the range early enough when this is allowed). My G22s can be drawn and accurately fired in 1.8 seconds on average, my G40 in 1.9. The additional 4.37ozs of the G40 over the G20 doesn't make much difference...I wouldn't call the G40 a brick. it is a full sized sidearm but like i said, I'm a big guy sooo...

I've shot Magtech, Underwood, G9 & Buffalo Bore through it with no trouble. I prefer the Underwood & G9 and think the Buffalo Bore ammo is just overpriced and over-hyped. I like BB for rifles but not sidearms. I believe accuracy is everything...hitting the CNS of a charging bear is vital so shoot the gun/ammo you are most accurate with. I am far more accurate with the G40 than I ever was with the .44mag revolver and have ten more rounds which means (if it's an option) I can commence firing from a greater distance instead of waiting for the bear to get close enough to hit with the 329PD. My range with the 10mm is more than double that of the .44mag.

Regarding the ability to shoot 100 yards...that's horseshit unless you have a stable rest and unmoving target. In reality the bear isn't gonna pose and wait for you to settle in on a rest or shooting stick. It'll be draw and discharge. I'm not hunting with my pistol, I shoot a bow.

I used to ring my 8” gong at 100 with a 5”Bisley Blackhawk in .45 LC. Agree a rest is crucial.

This pistol would be used for hunting whitetails and secondarily for bear defense every few years when I can make it out west.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
The g40 is a big huge fat piece of ass. It’s a real monstrosity. I’d take a 20 or a 29 any day for anything unless o was a target shooter or something.

I know a guy with a g40 with one of those sights on it, it’s ridiculous for a woods gun.
Tell me how you really feel @thinhorn_AK! :LOL:

While it’s large for a striker fired auto, it’s not much bigger than my full size 1911 and smaller overall than a 6” wheel gun.

I like the concept of the MOS sight due to its low profile red dot. I’ve shot/hunted with revolvers with pistol scope and red dots and they were always awkward and clunky.

Torrent50

FNG
I have a G20 that I sent to Lone Wolf in Idaho and had the slide milled and a DeltaPoint Pro installed. It's an awesome gun. I carry it with a Kenai chest holster whenever I'm in the woods and also carried it briefly as a duty weapon for LE prior to retiring. I don't think you can do better. I also have a G29, which is a great gun as well, but is definitely more of a handful to shoot. I run Underwood ammo in it. Either 180's for two legged problems and 220 hardcast for the four-legged critters.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I have a G20 that I sent to Lone Wolf in Idaho and had the slide milled and a DeltaPoint Pro installed. It's an awesome gun. I carry it with a Kenai chest holster whenever I'm in the woods and also carried it briefly as a duty weapon for LE prior to retiring. I don't think you can do better. I also have a G29, which is a great gun as well, but is definitely more of a handful to shoot. I run Underwood ammo in it. Either 180's for two legged problems and 220 hardcast for the four-legged critters.
That sounds like a good compromise. If you don’t mind my asking, how much did it cost to have the slide machined?

As a back up for woods defense against 4 legged or 2 legged predators you cant beat a 29. I carry 19 or 26 for work, but the 29 is my woods gun. It conceals as well as my 19. I use a a jm custom belt holster as that is what I am used to.

If handgun hunting may be in the mix then the 20 is the way to go, carries well but can go to 75 plus if u do your part. The 40 is a dedicated hunting rig, it is big.

If had to only have one pistol besides a 22lr it would be my 29, can do anything with it.

My 2 cents. Spence

I will advise you to go for what works best for you .

100% agree. It's important to KNOW FIRSTHAND what is right for you. Often the most vehement internet opinions are posted by people who have never even touched the product(s) being discussed.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a G20 with night sights. I like the size of the G20 better than both the 40 and 29. If you're looking for something optic ready you could also look at the new M&P 10mm. It can be had in a 4" or 4.6" barrel.

Btw. This is a good read about the velocity difference between the 20 and 29 over a bunch of loads, was really negligible.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
The G40 isn’t hard to manage in a chest holster like the Kenai, even with a big light attached.

The longer slide does add a lot of weight to the gun over a G20 but if you want a 6” barrel anyway then it makes sense to me to get the factory built G40, especially if you want to add a dot.

Torrent50

FNG
That sounds like a good compromise. If you don’t mind my asking, how much did it cost to have the slide machined?
I believe the milling was $100. I bought the DeltaPro myself and sent it to them with the slide. I bought the suppressor sights from them as well and had them put it all together and send it back. I believe it under $200 total. They call it a "slide melt".

I’ve had a 20 for several years now and like it. Awesome weapon and great shooter. I Changed out the barrel for a fully supported barrel and a heavier spring because I load a heavy mono for it but like everything else Glock, even the heavy trigger pull. I have been leaving it behind more often than not and think a 29 would be better suited for me. The thing is just too big and heavy to pack around all the time for where I hunt. If I’m pulling a pistol I figure it’s probably going to be a very close encounter and I don’t have my long gun in my hands so an extra inch or two barrel probably isn’t going to matter, nor is night sights or a light trigger etc. A 29 would easily fit in my bird hunting vest, be out of the way on my pack belt and save a little weight too. Of course I haven’t seen one on the shelf at the local shop since I’ve been thinking about it…

Colterw

FNG
I have a 29 and love it. Lot of guys like the 20 over the 29 and the 40. The 40 is a big gun to carry but it’s up to you on what you want to carry. I chose the 29 and added the mag extension so I have full grip and it’s been a great side arm for me.

29 with grip extension for me as well.
I can't believe I haven't even considered this... I have a glock 20 and a 29. The 29 hasn't left the safe in probably 3 years because I don't like hanging onto a 10mm with only four fingers.

I knew that the g20 mags fit and that there were grip extensions but for some reason I didn't make the connection between the two. I just ordered two x-grip extensions for 16 dollars each.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I believe the milling was $100. I bought the DeltaPro myself and sent it to them with the slide. I bought the suppressor sights from them as well and had them put it all together and send it back. I believe it under $200 total. They call it a "slide melt".
Nice, can you post some pics?