Getting opinions on the first rifle

The .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum are both very good & versatile rounds. Personally I'd go with the .270 as it will be softer on the shoulder.....and ammo will be slightly cheaper too as magnums tend to (not always) cost more.

Last edited:
When my son wanted a one and done rifle I chose the Tikka 270. Near identical ballistics as the 7mm mag with a lot less recoil. He didn’t want to mess with dials so he bought a Burris Full Field with ballistic plex. He has proven that this set up works at least to 500 yards.

When my son wanted a one and done rifle I chose the Tikka 270. Near identical ballistics as the 7mm mag with a lot less recoil. He didn’t want to mess with dials so he bought a Burris Full Field with ballistic plex. He has proven that this set up works at least to 500 yards.

Near identical ballistics? Maybe if you loaded the 7mag down to near minimum and the 270 to max. Right in the middle the KE of the 270 is 10-15% less at 200 yards, and the gap only grows from there. There is a reason it kicks more.

I’m not saying the 270 won’t kill, but those two rounds are not close identical ballistically.

I would go with a 30 cal bullet and if you’re 500 and in 30-06 or 308 will do just fine. I’d pick a 30-06.

Honestly any of the budget rifles now a days are fantastic hunting guns. Ruger American, Mossberg patriot, savage etc...

The nice thing about the ‘budget guns’ is hunting can be rough on equipment. I would hate to be carrying a $2k rifle on most of my hunts.

But I would definitely put some money into the scope. You need it to be durable and decent-high quality especially if you are going out west. Here out east you really don’t need to spend more than $200 on a scope...

Near identical ballistics? Maybe if you loaded the 7mag down to near minimum and the 270 to max. Right in the middle the KE of the 270 is 10-15% less at 200 yards, and the gap only grows from there. There is a reason it kicks more.

I’m not saying the 270 won’t kill, but those two rounds are not close identical ballistically.

I would go with a 30 cal bullet and if you’re 500 and in 30-06 or 308 will do just fine. I’d pick a 30-06.

Your wrong, I said ballistics, as in how the bullet flies. I said nothing about energy, which has very little actual effect on killing. What the bullet does when it gets there has a lot more to do with killing, than Kinetic Energy.

Funny how the .280 get so much love and .270 gets a pretty good following but say 30-06 and you are an instant old timer even though they all are the same parent cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wrong, I said ballistics, as in how the bullet flies. I said nothing about energy, which has very little actual effect on killing. What the bullet does when it gets there has a lot more to do with killing, than Kinetic Energy.

• Interior ballistics studies phenomena that occur inside the firearm;
  • Exterior ballistics studies the bullet as it flies through the air; and
  • Terminal ballistics studies the bullet as it strikes and penetrates the target.
You might want to stay in your lane.

Tikka t3x lite + Limbsaver recoil pad
Leupold vx3i
7mm-08rem or .270win
200 rounds of ammo
Can do this for under $1500 without shopping very hard.

This is a very practical package that checks all the boxes. Lightweight but not ultra lite. I am very confident that you would not regret going down this road. You could sell it without much trouble if you decide gun hunting isn’t your thing.
Buy the rifle new unless you have proof that it can shoot. Scope can be bought used but you won’t save any money.
Shoot it a lot. 10-20 rounds per range session. Make EVERY shot count. Just like launching arrows.

Lots of great options these days. You’re going to get lots of opinions with good advice here. The most important thing is to go to a good quality gun store with lots of choices to handle and go over.

Fit and feel is very important as being comfortable behind the rifle often times leads to more accurate shooting than anything else. Handle the rifles, shoulder them, work the action, feel how your hand transitions to the trigger, etc. You want to make sure the rifle feels right in all aspects as best you can in the store.

You will find that you like the fit and feel and certain models but like the action and trigger on others. It’s all about finding that balance and what’s more important to you as far as features go.

Go into it with an open mind and don’t be set on certain “brands” before you go and try anything. Report back with which rifles felt great and what you liked/disliked about them. We can help with some feedback after that.

The energy behind the bullet is more important to how it flies than the ballistic coefficient. If you were to shoot identical 140gr projectiles out of each caliber the 7mag would be going over well over 3000fps and the 270 would be under 3000fps so they would fly very differently.

Also, energy has very little impact on killing? What? We'd all be shooting 243 if that was the case.

You can way over think things. The most important thing is you hit the right spot every time. Then caliber comes much less into play. A good shot with a .243 will be better than a bad with a 300WM. You have lots of good advice here. If most of your shots are under 300yds, pick any caliber. I prefer .270 in a LA, .308 or 6.5 in a SA. They all do the same thing with a good bullet and a good shot. The rifle you choose is all personal preference. The $300 guns now will shoot MOA most times but aren't pretty and some don't have 3 position safety, which I prefer. The Tikka will smoother and probably shoot below MOA, but are you good enough shot to know? If you have the means, spend on the things you want. But you can get a good working gun for pretty low prices these days. Then spend a litle more on higher quality glass. Best of luck brother!

The energy behind the bullet is more important to how it flies than the ballistic coefficient. If you were to shoot identical 140gr projectiles out of each caliber the 7mag would be going over well over 3000fps and the 270 would be under 3000fps so they would fly very differently.

Also, energy has very little impact on killing? What? We'd all be shooting 243 if that was the case.

My 270 Win with 150 grain Partitions are traveling 3000fps out of a 22” barrel. My 140s are a touch higher.

Tikka t3x lite + Limbsaver recoil pad
Leupold vx3i
7mm-08rem or .270win
200 rounds of ammo
Can do this for under $1500 without shopping very hard.

This is a very practical package that checks all the boxes. Lightweight but not ultra lite. I am very confident that you would not regret going down this road. You could sell it without much trouble if you decide gun hunting isn’t your thing.
Buy the rifle new unless you have proof that it can shoot. Scope can be bought used but you won’t save any money.
Shoot it a lot. 10-20 rounds per range session. Make EVERY shot count. Just like launching arrows.

^^^^^^
I like this..... This boils it down very nicely. Good caliber choices for the activities you’ve described. I would also not rule out a similar setup with Bergara and/or Vortex. Find a shop where you can actually handle the rifle to be sure it “feels” right. If recoil is a concern, you could add a lightweight muzzle brake.

I shot a 7mm Rem Mag for years because that’s the sort of thing that “real men” did but it was not FUN at the range because of recoil. I (mainly) shoot a 6.5 and a .308 these days and they are both FUN to shoot.
...just my 2 cents...

Wow, gentlemen, no need to get in to an argument argument about ballistics if we are splitting hair. I will not know the difference simply because I can not shoot for shit. I'm looking at the mid price range because I know that once I start shooting I will know what I need form the rifle and I can sell or upgrade. before that happens you can give me the nicest the most custom Mt Everest high end rifle but it still will not make me a better shot.
If you are to split the budget between the scope and the gun, what is the reasonable ratio? 50/50? 40/60?

Funny how the .280 get so much love and .270 gets a pretty good following but say 30-06 and you are an instant old timer even though they all are the same parent cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 25'06 also shares the 30'06 as a parent cartridge. Which has the least recoil with factory ammo in the same weight rifle? Nobody is saying that only old timers use the 30'06.

People are suggesting lower recoil alternatives to the OP, because the lower recoiling cartridges are on average easier to learn to shoot well. Most folks want the OP to succeed and enjoy shooting. Shooting is more comfortable with lower recoiling cartridges, which could mean more shooting and developing good shooting habits.

For deer, Virginia bear, and range time in regards to the two cartridges the OP posted about.....I would go with 270. If other options are allowed, consider 25-06, 6.5 Creed, or 7mm-08 as they click all the boxes you require with less recoil.

Wow, gentlemen, no need to get in to an argument argument about ballistics if we are splitting hair. I will not know the difference simply because I can not shoot for shit. I'm looking at the mid price range because I know that once I start shooting I will know what I need form the rifle and I can sell or upgrade. before that happens you can give me the nicest the most custom Mt Everest high end rifle but it still will not make me a better shot.
If you are to split the budget between the scope and the gun, what is the reasonable ratio? 50/50? 40/60?

If you will shoot a lot to improve, hard to beat 6.5 CM or 308 Win for cost of ammo. Both will do everything you stated.

I would lean towards 308; plenty of variety and availability.

Otherwise I’d look at 7mm-08.

Four pages in and not one mention of a Kimber Montana in either 7-08 or 308.

With a Lewey VX3i 2.5-8x36 and 4 rounds full up, you will have a mountain backpacking package right at a very handy 6lbs 3oz. And don't believe those that say you won't be able to shoot a light rifle. That's BS.

Also, well below budget.

OP, by now your head must be spinning. Good luck with your decision.

I get that this will be the OPs first hunting rifle, but the guy says he wants to hunt elk and bear. Frankly, I am with Formidilosus and his opinion of going with a big 30 cal for elk. I don't see bear any different. For the naysayers thinking that a 300wsm or the like will kick to much for the OP, there are these things called breaks that make a significant reduction in recoil. IMNSHO, based on some of the suggestions, I believe the OP will be significantly under-gunned. for the larger species. But hey, if he is going to work up to the larger species, at the point he does, he can buy a better suited rifle, scope...

Back