Getting opinions on the first rifle

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Testing waters , toying the idea of buying a rifle for the trip out west and also for deer and bear in Virginia. I haven’t hunted with the gun that much, I mostly shoot a bow and hunt with it.
It would be nice to get your opinion if I should get a cheaper gun first or would it make more sense to invest in something better. Let’s say the budget may be as high as $2000 for the gun and scope. Is buying used guns a good idea or is it better the buy new?
ive done the research and a lot of People like tikka T3.
Thank you for your help

slvrslngr

WKR
Plenty of choices, no need to spend $2k though. A Tikka (or Winchester, Browning, Remington, Ruger, Savage) in 308 (or 7-08, 270, 6.5 Creed, 30-06, you get the point) with a 4x Leupold would cover all the bases. Since you’re a bow hunter, you know how to get close. Don’t get sucked into the LR bs.

RnnHntr

FNG
Unless you know what you are looking at, I suggest buying new. You can get a good quality rifle and scope that will last a lifetime for $800 to $1,200. Most new factory rifles shoot well, and you will generally not go wrong with Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Tikka, Howa, Remington, or any of the other major brands. I think a quality scope makes a bigger difference than the rifle. You can get a great quality Leupold or Vortex new for under $500. I suggest a variable in the 2-7, 2.5-8, or 3-9 range with a 40 mm objective. Hunt with it on the lowest power, and only turn it up if you have time. People tend to buy more magnification than they need at the cost of spending more money, more weight, and too small a field of view for close shots such as are likely in the Virginia woods. If you are interested in aesthetics, wood and blued steel rifles are generally more pleasing to the touch and to the eye, and don't require appreciably more care than synthetic-stocked stainless rifles. Stainless rifles will rust if not taken care of, they just don't rust as soon.

Unless you plan to reload, choose a caliber that is common and for which you can find a wide variety of ammo. If ammo is affordable and easy to come by, you will practice more. If you are not planning on hunting anything larger than deer or black bear, a 6.5 Creedmor is a great option, and will do for elk if you pick a good bullet and a reasonable shot. If larger game such as elk are likely to regularly be in the mix, other good options to consider are the 7-08, .308 Winchester or .30-06. A common mistake is for people to look for the lightest rifle. Unless you are backpacking in, a rifle in the 7-1/2 to 8-1/2 pound range with scope is a good compromise between shootability and carryability. A heavier rifle that is well balanced will feel lighter than a lighter rifle that is poorly balanced. Light rifles are harder for most people to shoot well and are generally less forgiving of shooter inconsistencies in hold and position, as well as generally being pickier about what ammunition is accurate in them. Do not be tempted to get an magnum as a first rifle, as they are more more expensive to shoot and harder to shoot well due to noise and recoil. Go to your local big-box sporting goods store or to a large full-service gunshop and handle a bunch of different rifles to see what feels comfortable in your hands and seems to shoulder naturally for you, not all rifles fit all people. If you are left-handed that will reduce the options, but there will still be plenty. After you find something that feels good, spend some time researching that make and model before actually putting down your hard earned money.

Hope these suggestions help.

Elkhntr08

WKR
A good bolt action 30-06 will take you a long way. Recoil’s not bad, ammo easy to find and will put down anything in the lower 48. There’s a sweet 700 CDL in the classifieds right now for $950. Pair that with a Leupold vx-3i scope and you’re ready for anything.

Catahoula

WKR
If it were me I would buy a Browning Xbolt Hunter model in 270Win, 7mm-08, 308Win or 30-06. Then, I would likely do a low power variable scope, 3-9x, 2-10x, 4-14x. Likely, spend $800-$1000 for glass. My suggestions are that, suggestions, nothing more and not in any order. You can get a damn nice set-up for $2000.

Last summer I went rifle shopping 'for my girlfriend' and ended up with a bergara 6.5 creedmore and a vortex viper, both used total of $900.

The gun shoots better than I do and the recoil is almost unnoticeable.

I think it would make a solid first rifle, given the cost and availability ammunition.

Apollo117

WKR
Tikka T3X in any of the top 10 most common center fire rifle calibers in the US and an SWFA 3x9 when it comes on sale again. Sportsmatch rings.

My choice would be a T3X Superlite in .270 Win, with above scope and rings and a Limbsaver recoil pad.

Tikka T3 is what I would go with, in stainless steel. I would go with a 300 wsm as it will still shoot the longer long range bullets, and it will handle any animal on the North American Continent. Pair it with a Nightforce and you can still be within budget.

OP
Flatland Newbie

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Wow I did not expect so many responses in such s short period of time.
There are some thing that I need to add. I do want to use it as a backpack hunting rifle. As the hunting bug bit me I realized that life is to short so I want to try western hunting and backpack hunting in particular even though I have not done it before.
In VA the use of a gun is very limited, I hunt in Northern VA on small chunks of private land or county parks. 99% of my hunts is bownunting. I also do urban archery to reduce deer herd.
min a rear occasion I will hunt public land and this is there I take my slug gun.
I managed to save up for swarovski binoculars and I love the glass. Every time I Glass I actually enjoy it. No headaches, my eyes are not tired.
Higher end scope is one of the reasons I set my budget to 2k.
as far as the calibers go, I want an easy to find round. In case I loose the ammoor semething else happens I can get if from the big box store or the gas station or whatever.
The biggest animal I plan to Hunt is elk and basically I want the gun to be catered for elk hunting then anything else.
i believe the same cartridge will handle a black bear as well.

OP
Flatland Newbie

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
And in addition to that, I don’t really care if the stock is camo or not basically I am looking for the best functionality and how it shoots rather than beautiful stock. I hope it makes sense

Forest

WKR
Tikka 300wsm with a zeiss v4 scope would be a heck of a setup and leave a good bit of cash leftover for ammo to practice with. Good from deer to moose. Bergara ridge would be a solid option as well.
So many great options in the midrange prices in both the rifles and optics these days!!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

.270 Win will handle everything in NA

Easy on the shoulder and you can find ammo anywhere.

Rifle choices are plentiful too. Almost any factory rifle built these days is going to be plenty accurate and reliable for the task at hand. It mostly comes down to personal preference and budget.

16Bore

WKR
The quintessential starter rifle is a tikka stainless 30-06 with a leupold VX-3i (or whatever current version in production). Use Barnes TTSX 168 grain for ammo. Add a Claw sling and a Harris bipod. Dont forget lense cups or a neoprene cover for the scope. Also, add a decent pelican case. All together it should be able to make the magic happen.

It’s the finisher rifle too. I’ve been down the rabbit holes and it’s where I’m staying.

Rich M

WKR
Get a 270, 308 or 6.5 CM.

You are new to guns and 3006 is where the recoil starts pretty much. Be better to work up.

Get a maven, meopta, zeiss or swaro scope. Leupold and Vortex are no longer what they once were.

16Bore

WKR
Get a 270, 308 or 6.5 CM.

You are new to guns and 3006 is where the recoil starts pretty much. Be better to work up.

That’s true. 30-06 in a 7lb’er is a good handful, especially if rifles aren’t your “thing”. I’d say 6.5 for that situation and if you must “elk out west one day” and feel undergunned, the add some thump if you feel the need.

slatty

WKR
I'm in a very similar situation and coming from 5 years bowhunting just bought my first gun (which I appreciate isn't a lot of life experience hunting).
I bought a tikka t3x superlite stainless on sale, with a vortex viper 4-9x 40
I can't give you much a of a comparison but it seems to be a super rifle for me. Have only shot it at the range. Excited to head to the woods with it. This isn't a a gun review but just telling you what I bought given a similar situation.

slvrslngr

WKR
Nothing like putting a newish shooter behind a 300 mag (of any kind) to help them develop that flinch. (y)JFC.:rolleyes: