Getting opinions on the first rifle

Lots of people have sound suggestions. If you can save up for the high end binos do the same on the scope as well. One other suggestion is to walk through a gun show and handle some of those guns as well. Look through the classified adds on Rokslide. Many of the firearm listed are of decent quality to.

I totally agree with this statement. Not to piss anyone off but why in hell would anyone suggest any kind of 300 mag of any kind to a brand new rifle shooter?
Not sure why the 30'06 is recommended so much to a new shooter either. Sure, the 30'06 is versatile and ubiquitous, but the recoil isn't mild and doesn't lend itself to developing good form. Maybe there's some low recoil 30'06 ammo that everyone is forgetting to mention in their suggestions.

To be honest with you and myself , I don’t think I’m going to be shooting A thousand yards so with this being said I believe 308 would be a good choice as far as lethality and recoil goes. It will take down a black bear and elk.
Picking a new toy is always fun

Your on the right track. Keep it simple, keep it fun. The 308 is a great choice and if you can swing a second rifle, get a 223. They’re super fun to shoot and great practice for your hunting rifle.

Not sure why the 30'06 is recommended so much to a new shooter either. Sure, the 30'06 is versatile and ubiquitous, but the recoil isn't mild and doesn't lend itself to developing good form. Maybe there's some low recoil 30'06 ammo that everyone is forgetting to mention in their suggestions.

I noticed his hat brim was curved and thought the ‘06 would be OK. My bad.

Yeah I shouldn't have popped off like that. That's what happens when an old man is behind the keyboard at 230 am. I don't have a problem with a 30 06 in 150 and 165 grain bullets but that doesnt mean its okay for all new shooters. My opinions certainly aren't better than anyone else's . Just agreeing that a lighter recoiling caliber would probably be better for a new rifleman.

I noticed his hat brim was curved and thought the ‘06 would be OK. My bad.
I forget that "Can only be used by good ol' boys and real men with curved hats. Yeehaw!" is printed next to "This product contains lead" on every box of 30'06 ammo. Thanks for the reminder.

I’ve got a tikka t3x 7.5 Creedmoor, Sportsmatch rings, nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and I load the Barnes 127g LRX, it’s a killer set up and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for lots of different game. I’m hoping to build the exact same set up but in 300wsm this summer.

If you own only 1 gun and it is a 30-06 and you shoot it well, you will likely never go wanting.

I've got 40+ seasons with a 30-06 and

Recently started shooting a 243 and enjoy it a lot.
Yeah I shouldn't have popped off like that. That's what happens when an old man is behind the keyboard at 230 am. I don't have a problem with a 30 06 in 150 and 165 grain bullets but that doesnt mean its okay for all new shooters. My opinions certainly aren't better than anyone else's . Just agreeing that a lighter recoiling caliber would probably be better for a new rifleman.
I like how the 06 just drops stuff but recoil and muzzle like blast kill me.

243 is fun to shoot but they run a little ways.

Who wears a fricking hat? Pansies!

I’d recommend a tikka in 7mm08. It’s killed plenty of critters for me from 30 yards to 400 yards. Zero recoil so you’ll be able to shoot it all day. Lots of good suggestions so far!

I think a Tikka T3X Lite in 7mm-08 would be a good all around caliber and for the lower 48 would be my caliber of choice (it has mild recoil, is pretty flat, and readily available).
I currently use a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRH scope and have been happy with it.

Wow I did not expect so many responses in such s short period of time.
There are some thing that I need to add. I do want to use it as a backpack hunting rifle. As the hunting bug bit me I realized that life is to short so I want to try western hunting and backpack hunting in particular even though I have not done it before.
In VA the use of a gun is very limited, I hunt in Northern VA on small chunks of private land or county parks. 99% of my hunts is bownunting. I also do urban archery to reduce deer herd.
min a rear occasion I will hunt public land and this is there I take my slug gun.
I managed to save up for swarovski binoculars and I love the glass. Every time I Glass I actually enjoy it. No headaches, my eyes are not tired.
Higher end scope is one of the reasons I set my budget to 2k.
as far as the calibers go, I want an easy to find round. In case I loose the ammoor semething else happens I can get if from the big box store or the gas station or whatever.
The biggest animal I plan to Hunt is elk and basically I want the gun to be catered for elk hunting then anything else.
i believe the same cartridge will handle a black bear as well.
[/QUOTE

How much experience with a rifle do you have? If minimal, I'd suggest buying a .22 (or borrowing one) and putting a couple hundred rounds through it. Then borrow a 22-250, .243 or something, working your way up in power and recoil. I understand an easily accessible range is probably a problem up there.

All of my deer hunting has been done in the Virginias with a .270 or 30-06. I read a blog from an Elk Guide out west who likes either one for elk. I'll also add that my .270 is a synthetic stocked Remington 700, it has more recoil than either of my 30-06s (walnut stocks).

I was told by a hunter I respect to never have better binoculars than your scope.

270 here. Tikka has won me over, but I do love my Kimber Montana. Both rifles shoot really good with factory Ammo, but I’ve heard some folks have been disappointed in the Kimber.

Maybe the stainless Tikka, a VX-3i in 2.5-8x36 sitting in Talley lightweights, and drop it on a nice stock and you’re in budget with a heck of a lightweight rifle. I’ve got this setup and would trust it for anything from Whitetail to Moose. Mine loves 140 Accubonds and 150 Partitions equally. Potent

One other Thought that may have already been mentioned. If I’m not mistaken the Tikka action is the same length for either long or short Action calibers. Not a big deal, but worth noting. I have a 223, a 308 and a 270 and they are all the same.

Again, not a big deal. 308 is hard to beat, but the Tikka 308 is a “long” action essentially. More as an FYI.

So basically if I go with Tikka it would be a good idea to look at 270 Winchestero or 7mm Remington Magnum?
I would prefer a gun that I will actually enjoy shooting VS one or 2 shots and feels like my shoulder is giving up on me.
Once all the corona shit is over I will go to the local Cabelas or BassPro and check out all the guns that I can get my hands on just to see how they feel.
We do not have too many hunters in the area and no ranges in the close proximity. This is another downside of being this close to Washington DC. Most people are all about home defense type guns and dont spend time in the woods.
With all this being said internet is my only resource. And nobody in my family hunts so I'm a "bad seed" that has to learn starting form the basics. No knowledge of the generations has been passed to me.

Back