Getting Meat Home

robie

WKR
I did a buffalo hunt in SD last year. I flew up rented a minivan and bought 3 cheap 120qt coolers at wall-mart for $60.

Sold the coolers when I got home for $30 each.

Great way to bring everything home and save your self one leg of the drive.

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Kentucky and I usually solo drive to Wyoming, Idaho, or Colorado. It sucks and I’ve been looking into flying. I’ve looked into one of those Bronx boxes for getting all my gear out there and then my plan was to ship my gear back and pack that thing with meat and ice (hopefully). There just seems to be a lack of real world experience with Bronx boxes. Anybody have any insight?

I have driven out west from Michigan more than 20 times - several years twice. Several times solo. Anyway if you drive get a small - medium size freezer. Put it in the back of your truck or trailer and power it with an inverter off your truck. Saves you all the head aches of ice, coolers, buying dry ice. If you are successful early in the hunt put the boned meat (Chronic Wasting laws - must do this- no heads either) in the freezer and freeze it solid. No more worries the rest of the trip.

7Bartman

WKR
I flew out last year and flew about half my bull back (1 boned out hind quarter, both backstraps, tenderloins, and some burger meat). I purchased and filled two walmart coolers and stuck some more in my luggage. It cost me ~150 in excess baggage, which I thought was pretty good. I had an advantage in that I have a buddy on that ground in Idaho who is happy to take whatever elk meat that I can not take back with me.
To get my antlers and cape back for the shoulder mount was significantly more (~ $500). Being from MD, driving isn't an option that I want to pursue.

F250

FNG
When possible we drive and haul a freezer (2200 miles one way). A few times I shipped elk meat back : Have the elk processed locally. Buy two 80 qt. Walmart coolers. Have the processer put the packaged meat into the coolers. Leave the cover on the cooler open and set the cooler in his freezer over night. Take the coolers to a UPS store. Tape the cover seam and band the coolers securely. Ground ship for a couple hundred. Arrives home in about 6 days, still frozen.