Getting in touch with Kifaru

OP
uppercut11
Yes they are all closed right now due to the total archery challenge.
I would definitely say listen to their recommendations on sizing. I didn’t and ended up having to get a smaller belt. I wear a 31” waist in my pants but measure 33.5 around my waist with a tape. I also tend to really suck down my hip belt. They recommended an XS belt but I ordered a small And I could bottom it out. I ended up having to get the XS.
As far as ranger green it is an awesome colour and contrasts well with all the coyote zippers and webbing. My favourite.
I run the Gen 1 nalgene pocket with a wide mouth and love it. It holds its shape and is not as deep as the new one. It is really easy to slip the bottle in and out of one handed but is also very secure.
Now you have me wondering which bottle pouch to get again! I was all decided on the Gen 2. Does that top strap slide off to the side of the bottle? I was wondering if it would stay put or slide off and let your bottle fall out.

When does TAC end? Should they be back tomorrow? I tried calling and emailing during the week last week.

SHoug07

FNG
As far as color goes just get what you like. Popularity doesn't make much difference.
I wear 33-34 pants and measure 36 at the hip bones. This is my small belt size for reference. I would think a medium might bottom out for you under heavy load. Just get ahold of them to verify before ordering. I also run the old style bottle holder with no issue and rarely strap the bottle in.
20200712_160905.jpg20200712_161630.jpg

How do you like the 44 mag? I was considering it instead of the hoodlum, but was mostly swayed by the hoodlum having more size for less weight.

I like it so far. Going to run it on a bighorn ewe hunt in September.
Backpacked with it a few weeks ago. Probably can't do more than 7 days on the base bag without really having your shit together, or using the meatshelf though. I bought it when it was on sale a while back. They had bulk solid colored 44 mags for like 40% off. I couldn't resist the deal. I always wanted a kifaru set up.

Handles heavy weight well, but that's more of a reflection of the quality of the frame and gear in general.

I don't think you can go wrong with bigger. Most of their big bags pack small and can be used as daypacks. So customizable that you can always add a lid, or other pockets to expand it even more.

OP
uppercut11
As far as color goes just get what you like. Popularity doesn't make much difference.
I wear 33-34 pants and measure 36 at the hip bones. This is my small belt size for reference. I would think a medium might bottom out for you under heavy load. Just get ahold of them to verify before ordering. I also run the old style bottle holder with no issue and rarely strap the bottle in.
Thanks. Those pictures help a lot. I probably do need the small. Looks like you are not far from bottoming out the small and I only have an inch more.

OP
uppercut11
I like it so far. Going to run it on a bighorn ewe hunt in September.
Backpacked with it a few weeks ago. Probably can't do more than 7 days on the base bag without really having your shit together, or using the meatshelf though. I bought it when it was on sale a while back. They had bulk solid colored 44 mags for like 40% off. I couldn't resist the deal. I always wanted a kifaru set up.

Handles heavy weight well, but that's more of a reflection of the quality of the frame and gear in general.

I don't think you can go wrong with bigger. Most of their big bags pack small and can be used as daypacks. So customizable that you can always add a lid, or other pockets to expand it even more.
That would make it an easy choice to get one on that good of a sale! I didn't know they really did sales. I have been interested in kifaru for quite a while but it is tough since you can't really try them on without going to a show they are at or going to their store. Once I tried one on I was sold but had to save up the money.

C.payne

WKR
Now you have me wondering which bottle pouch to get again! I was all decided on the Gen 2. Does that top strap slide off to the side of the bottle? I was wondering if it would stay put or slide off and let your bottle fall out.

When does TAC end? Should they be back tomorrow? I tried calling and emailing during the week last week.

I never use the strap and have never had any issue with the bottle coming out. My thoughts on the gen2 is that it may be harder for one handed operation due to the cinch top and single wall design. I can’t say for sure because I don’t own one myself. Just going from the pics. Also I know Aron had mentioned that it was built more for multiple uses (different bottle designs or even as a general use pouch).

OP
uppercut11
Does anyone have the Gen 2 water bottle pocket? Can you weigh in on how difficult it is to get a nalgene in/out with one hand?

ncavi8tor

WKR
Does anyone have the Gen 2 water bottle pocket? Can you weigh in on how difficult it is to get a nalgene in/out with one hand?
I played with a Gen 2 a couple of weeks ago and I like my Gen 1 better. The Gen 2 was not as rigid and seemed difficult to insert a 1L Nalgene bottle with one hand. I have never had that issue with my Gen 1 and I hardly ever use the strap. This was my opinion.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I put my pack on and tightened the medium belt very tight like if under heavy load. Then i unbuckled it and measured it. The ends of the belt pad were 8" apart including buckle length. That would be whats left before bottoming out. There was 7.5" of slack belt strap20200712_205959.jpg left beyond each buckle yet.

OP
uppercut11
I played with a Gen 2 a couple of weeks ago and I like my Gen 1 better. The Gen 2 was not as rigid and seemed difficult to insert a 1L Nalgene bottle with one hand. I have never had that issue with my Gen 1 and I hardly ever use the strap. This was my opinion.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I think I will go with the Gen 1. That sounds more like what I am looking for.

OP
uppercut11
I put my pack on and tightened the medium belt very tight like if under heavy load. Then i unbuckled it and measured it. The ends of the belt pad were 8" apart including buckle length. That would be whats left before bottoming out. There was 7.5" of slack belt strap left beyond each buckle yet.
Thanks for taking that measurement. That gives me a better idea of the sizing on the medium.

OP
uppercut11
I was planning to put a water bottle pouch and small belt pouch both on the left. From your picture with the small belt it doesn't look like there would be room for that. Have you tried that configuration? I am wondering if I would need to go to the mini belt pouch to make that work.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I was planning to put a water bottle pouch and small belt pouch both on the left. From your picture with the small belt it doesn't look like there would be room for that. Have you tried that configuration? I am wondering if I would need to go to the mini belt pouch to make that work.

You’ll want a mini with the water bottle on a small belt I’m pretty sure. I’ll mock both up for you on my small belt tomorrow and send pics.

Edit: I just mocked up a small belt pouch next to the water bottle holder on my small belt. Not enough room for it to sit right. Go for the mini or get a larger one for your main bag. If your like me a full Nalgene bottle on the belt is plenty bulk and weight there anyway especially if you use trekking poles or shoulder sling carry your rifle. Hate crap in the way on the hips.

Last edited:

sram9102

WKR
So I'm basically your same size. 6-3 200 34 in pants slightly larger at the hips. Get a small belt. Went with a medium and I used to get it bottomed out under any decent load. Bought a small on here and it is substantially better.

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
If you got fitted at the show, then I'd go with what they told you! They do that for a reason to help people out and get them the right sizes to order!

OP
uppercut11
You’ll want a mini with the water bottle on a small belt I’m pretty sure. I’ll mock both up for you on my small belt tomorrow and send pics.

Edit: I just mocked up a small belt pouch next to the water bottle holder on my small belt. Not enough room for it to sit right. Go for the mini or get a larger one for your main bag. If your like me a full Nalgene bottle on the belt is plenty bulk and weight there anyway especially if you use trekking poles or shoulder sling carry your rifle. Hate crap in the way on the hips.
Thanks. Glad I asked since I was planning to go with the small pouch. I would put one on the right but planning to try the gun bearer and it seems like having anything on that side would get in the way.

OP
uppercut11
So I'm basically your same size. 6-3 200 34 in pants slightly larger at the hips. Get a small belt. Went with a medium and I used to get it bottomed out under any decent load. Bought a small on here and it is substantially better.
Thanks. That is what I am kind of thinking but I heard back from Kifaru today through email and they said to go with the medium. I think I am going to try to call Aaron to verify.