getting around in Idaho Beaverhead unit

mdkelley

FNG
A friend and I purchased Idaho OTC Elk tags in the beaverhead elk unit for this fall. I have not been in that area yet and am wondering if a full size extra cab long bed truck would be able to navigate the roads in that unit, or if we would have difficulty driving around. I am selling my Tacoma and buying a full size (so wife and I can run a slide in camper) and am wondering if the new truck will have issues getting around in Beaverhead in the mountains. Last year I hunted Boise NF on a Suzuki 650 so there were no issues getting around. Most of the roads I was on would have been fine for a fullsize, maybe some corners would have been 3 point turns but it would have been doable. Just wondering if we should tow a smaller vehicle out with us, take something other than an oversized truck out this fall or plan on doing a lot of walking. We will be truck camping and planning on doing a lot of road/truck based scouting since it is our first year. I just don't want to get out there and find out we can't really go on any of the dirt roads or mountain roads because the turning radius is too big to make the corners or turn around.

Or should we just haul atv/dirtbike out there?

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd bring a dirt bike and not beat myself or my vehicle up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Please realize that Beaverhead is a motorized restricted elk zone. You will need to stay on the actual roads regardless of mode of transportation. There a lot of open ATV and Motorcycle trails, but if you are hunting, you cannot use them for access.

As for the conditions of the actual roads, that depends. Some are fine, others I would not take my truck on, but some guys do. They can be rutted, rocky, or nice and anywhere in-between.

Please realize that Beaverhead is a motorized restricted elk zone. You will need to stay on the actual roads regardless of mode of transportation. There a lot of open ATV and Motorcycle trails, but if you are hunting, you cannot use them for access.

Honestly not trying to be that guy. Trying to learn here. From my understanding of the rules this above statement is misleading. You can use the closed roads for access to make a camp and game retrieval. However, you cannot hunt while doing so.

Please learn me.:)

Elkdreamer,

Yes, you can use open ATV trails or Motorcycle trails to pack in and out camp or game. NOT closed trails. However, F&G will issue $1000 dollar fines if they catch you using your motorbike for just for access. You had better set up or break down camp or be packing out game. They will not just meet you at your bike and see that you have a tent strapped to your handle bars. They will watch from a distance with binos and see what you do.

I was at the trail head (in Beaverhead) a few year ago and watched F&G give a father and son each a $1000 fine for using their ATVs to drive on an open ATV trail during the ML hunt. There were plenty of recreational ATV riders, but F&G knew who drove in and "hunted" and then drove back vs. just the guys out for a ride.

I have specifically reached out to F&G on this, as I like to use my ATV to bring camp back further, and have been told that is fine, but park it at camp and do not get back on it until you are done hunting and leaving camp.

Thank you NJDiverDan.

Your explanation is exactly how I understand the rules too. I am not into breaking the law or watching others do it.

I have never done this but it could help me this year. Thank you for being informative.

Edit. I thought you could use atv/sxs on closed roads for the above mentioned. Am I missing something? I will go back and reread the info.

It seems under "exceptions" it is legal to travel closed roads to transport camp or game.

Attachments

• atv regs.jpg
    atv regs.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 61
To answer the OP question. You will be fine with a big truck. However, if you want to travel freely expect some dings and pin stripes.

It seems under "exceptions" it is legal to travel closed roads to transport camp or game.

I do not see anywhere in the exceptions that allows for travel on a "closed" road or trail. It allows you to move camp or meat if allowed by land owner or manager. So if an ATV trail is "open" for ATV travel, then you, as a hunter can use it to pack in camp. If an ATV trail is closed to recreational ATV travel you cannot. This exemption is more about private land, as BLM and most state lands do not allow travel off from established open trails. Some trails have width or type of ATV restrictions (50" max) others are for only horse travel etc.

I think you are in the right place. The law is tricky to say the least. Best bet is to get an active trail map and obey any posted signs as trails can close without much notice.

joshemc

FNG
Something to be cautious of too, across ID is that they will close some access roads to all motorized travel at the end of august to prevent impact to hunters. Depending on the unit, your hunt timeframe, etc you can get locked on a road. There are signs posted at the gates that close like this, FYI.

I hiked out of a MT scouting trip this weekend on an ID OHV trail in the beaverhead zone. We ran into a couple forest service rangers who were enforcing illegal dirtbike use off trail. It was good to see them out there.

I haven't spent time in much of the zone but I wouldn't hesitate to use a full size, crew cab, long box pickup if i had that tag.

NJDiverDan I guess we will have to disagree.

The books says" Use restriction in designated units from August 30 through December 31, big game hunters may us motorized vehicles only on established roadways which are open to motorized traffic and capable of being traveled by full sized automobiles."

The under exceptions says "Hunters may us a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed game if travel is allowed by land owner or manager."

Also " Hunters may us motorized vehicle to pack camping equipment in or out if such travel is allowed by land owner or manager."

So why would they need an exception? We already said we could travel open roads. Only reason I see is to travel closed roads for above said purpose.

I am talking closed roads that are passable by a full sized vehicle not atv trails.

Last edited:
My understanding is the exception is more for private land (land owner) where they allow people to drive where ever they want, like across ag fields. There is a desert tag on INL property that they allow you to drive up to you kill to load it as well, but again Private land that allows public hunting. Closed roads are closed, period. The "land manager" closed it.

The purpose of the rule is to prevent ATV/Motocycle travel on ATV/Motorcycle trails for the purpose of and as an aid to hunting. ATV/motorcycle use while in the act of hunting is only permitted on roads that are open to full sized vehicles.

The exception to pack in a camp and retrieve game is an exception that allows ATV/motorcycle use on OPEN ATV/motorcycle trails. That is the part about the "Land Owner or Manager", the land manager would be USFS or BLM. If the ATV trail or road is closed by USFS or BLM then the exception does not apply.

This is made clear in this statement:

"Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed game if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager. "

If a road is closed, then travel is not allowed by the land manager.

You cannot travel closed roads for any reason. The exception allows you to travel OPEN ATV trails for the purpose of packing in camp or retrieving game only.

IDFG does not own or have the authority to manage the roads or decide which roads are open or closed. IDFG only manages ATVs as an aid to hunting just like regulating other equipment requirements.

Closed is closed.
Why would they allow you to ride an atv on a closed road for camp or retrieval but not allow you to take a truck?
Is say the exception is for otherwise open at trails as trucks are not allowed on those ever.

dgaudi

FNG
I got my tag but my hunting partner got screwed over like many others that had the system crash as he was checking out with the tag in his cart. I hope they get that system figured out before next year! My hunting partner was able to score a deer tag in one of the units we hunted last year in the beaver head and we actually saw quite a few mule deer around .